Knife Thread

I'm looking to buy my first big boy all chef's knife. What do you cu/ck/s suggest?

Other urls found in this thread:

sharpeningsupplies.com/Naniwa-Economical-Combination-Waterstone--P559C157.aspx
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

G2 for me.

Doi wagyuto in aogami super blue

we speak english here in america.

Does anyone buy German knives or is it all Japanese now?

here on ck everyone likes that chink shit.

I recommend a cow sword made of Hitachi Super Blue #3 made by Mr. Doi

That any easier, Cletus?

no.

So the consensus is just buy a Jap knife?

Victorinox desu

You think that's high enough quality?

I have a wusthof set and would highly recommend it.

It will seem like consensus is Japanese, but the truth I, those of us smart enough to buy German steel are smart enough to stay the fuck out of knife threads on ck.

The consensus on a cheap good chefs knife I Dexter russel, or victorinox solengen. 8" chefs for 20 to 30 bucks with ergonomic polymer handle. Its what you'll find in professional kitchens around the world. This perfectly functional and you dont need more than that.

If you want to get more than that, then it is a pure matter of taste.

Personally, I think German steel can take more abuse, and its sharpened at a fatter angle which lasts longer and cuts perfectly fine.

Other people want a high carbon, rust prone knife that is on the edge of brittle because it is so hard. I'm just not into that, but certainly many people are.

I find I have to sharpen my wusthofs about every 2 or thre years, I do it myself with Japanese wet stones. Most Japanese blade owners call me a liar, or tell me I dont know what a sharp knife is if I think I only have to sharpen them every couple years, but the fact is - german steel just holds an edge better.

I'm not gonna get trolled I to responding to niponese fan bois... Just take my advice for what it is. A German steel owner who is very impressed with his wusthofs.

Go to the restaurant supply store and buy a 30 dollar solid knife. Buy a double sided sharpening block and you can get it as sharp as you need for an all purpose knife.

Global or Mac all the way. That German shit is way too heavy.

Thanks for the advice senpai.

Get a Mac Mighty if you can afford it. zero percent bullshit 100 percent great knife.

if you are a n00b, this guy is right. get a dexter russell knife and one of these stones sharpeningsupplies.com/Naniwa-Economical-Combination-Waterstone--P559C157.aspx and learn how to sharpen a knife instead of owning a 150 dollar knife that is dull as shit.

I'll see if I find a supply store tomorrow.

Huh?

Yes.

TLDR: Jap knives are sharper but more brittle than German knives.

But they're not? Any knife is as sharp as you make it.

The hardness and brittleness of the steel can limit the minimum angle at which a blade can be cut.

It seems like I would be better off with a Wusthof or Henckel than a Japanese knife given my inexperience. Seem reasonable?

If you are cutting something especially hard it can be nice to have something really thin so it wedges less. The lasers are generally very thin, then again a Kiwi is thinner.

People often find the lack of blade rigidity disturbing though, so it's a mixed bag.

Sort of looking for a general purpose. I have a cleaver and a paring for most other things. I've put my chef's knife through some abuse just learning how to cook so I want to upgrade. I just don't want to buy a quality Japanese knife and then chip it because I'm not skilled enough with it.

>German steel can take more abuse
That's pretty much the only reason to buy it

German knives are wildly successful in a society that eschews personal responsibility and says "the customer is always right"

Literally the child safe butane lighter of knives

>not skilled enough with it
Do you consider basic common sense to be "skills"?

Like, when you see a can of food, does it take advanced level CIA trained michelin chef chops to know not to try to open that can with your weeb sword and a hammer?

The only time I ever had trouble with my Japanese knives was when I had a roommate in grad school, this was one of those man-children who thought that the expiration date on milk was a guarantee of quality and you could just leave it out on the counter overnight when you passed out drunk, and stick it back in the fridge and no one would notice.

>Other people want a high carbon, rust prone knife that is on the edge of brittle because it is so hard. I'm just not into that, but certainly many people are.

holy conjecture Batman.

OP, a better question is what you like to cook and how do you like to prepare your ingredients. Both the Nips and the Krauts make blades that are strong and resilient for any home kitchen for decades, but it really depends on how you like to cook.

>Veeky Forums made fun of me for buying knives with godawful bolsters and now I'm butthurt

Thinskinned niggas pls go

wursthof classic

Tojiro DP Gyuto is relatively cheap and high quality.

I did the misen.co kickstarter about a year ago, and I just got a note that they finished production and were going to ship soon. Might be worth a look if you want a western-style knife and are willing to wait a bit.

My current main knife is a Wusthof Classic. It's nice but def pricey. OTOH, I've had mine for 10 years and it's still fine, so it's not that much of an extravagance.

Thanks for advice friends

My mother in law and father in law, divorced, have both, separately, fallen on hard times and had to crash with my wife and I for a couple months over the last couple years.

"user, let me do the dishes for you tonight,". Or "let me cook for you tonight.".

>Wusthof used to open can of tomatoes.
>wusthof in the dish washer.

I'm on vacation while they are still crashing at my place.

>Wusthof left in sink for 2 weeks

Mfw I am so glad I didn't ask the weeb faggots on this board for knife advice when I got married and added indestructible German steel to my wedding registry.

>if niponese steel
>broken by can of tomatoes
>handle ruined by dishwasher
>rusted beyond use in sink.

Instead, inlaws can't melt German steel.

This seems like a reasonable reason to get one.

Its reasonable, but for 20 or 30 bucks extra, you can get a victorinox, or Dexter blade and let the inlaws try to destroy that. If you want a glorious Japanese desu blade, just get that too but hide it away so that only you know the secrets of glorious ultra Rockwell hardness razor thin edges yapanese "if you should encounter god in your kitchen, god will be cut" desu glorious, for the emporer, steeel.

Its really a matter of taste, the blades being talked about itt are all fantastic.

The only correct answer

No one wants a Japanese knife made by germans marketed towards bored housewives, just get an actual Japanese knife if you're going to buy that.

Don't let anyone but you personally ever touch anything in your kitchen. That simple.

It's a knife. A sharpened piece of metal with a handle. Use whatever you like. I personally just buy antiques at yardsales and refurbish them for cheap. But for a regular person whether your knife is made of German carbon steel, or Japanese steel folded over 1 million times, or a $30 stainless steel knife makes no difference besides style points, and how often you want to get into dick measuring contests with people on the internet.

Cheap piece of shit, but actually keeps a really nice edge. I'd like to upgrade to a more advance set but a cook pair of knives isn't cheap.

thinking about buying their wooden set

Kramer Zwilling's german design is pretty fucking dope, though, I don't know about that silly Shun-styled handle. I've got japanese meme knives myself and my dad's damascus Kramer is right up there in fit and finish and performance for a ~$350 knife. Not a big fan of the blade shape though, but that's just preference.

*tips fedora*

*dated memes*
Not him, but come on... you're better than that.

Since when the fuck did the fedora stereotype have his own kitchen or even cook for that matter? This aint "don't let anyone touch your doritos chip clip".

>being this butthurt

The idea of not allowing anyone to ever touch anything in your kitchen can only be possible if you plan to never have friends over to cook, never date, never marry, never have in laws over, never have kids, never have anyone babysit your kids, and never hire a chef to cater parties you hold.

The idea can only be generated by a NEET with a neckbeard.

It is entirely unrealistic.

I repeat:

*tips fedora*

If you want to have a couple "nice" pieces of kitchenware that is flimsy as fuck and easily damaged, and hide that away from the general public, then that's fine. A bit weird and cringy, but fine. But the idea that no one would ever touch any of your kitchen equipment. Highly likely no one else will ever be touching any of your other equipment either in that case.

Where's the downvote on this thing. I feel like I need to downvote you somehow, and I've been here since 2006!

Knife for lazy careless people who leave their utensils in water for a week = german knives
Knife for people who take care of their possessions and want the sharpest blade possible = any knife with a VG-10 edge so basically japanese knives

Whactyu niggers think about ergo chef? The crimson series 8' looks pretty appetizing to me.

I know this is a knife general but can we talk honing steels? I'm confused as most are marketed as "sharpening steels" I'm trying to find one with actual grooves rather than a sharpening surface. Any leads to a good one?

I do all the cooking in my house including cooking for anyone who visits. Simple shit.

*tippy tips, m' bossy, in control kinda gal*

Its silly to think that will continue, or that you will be in control of the space you live in like that for your whole life, unless you stay single, or marry someone who doesn't cook, and don't have kids. In that case, good job getting used for all kitchen duty for your whole life.

Amazing that some people on a cooking board see nothing wrong with having all cooking duty.

>Any leads to a good one?

If you want grooves (why on earth?), then you will need to find an old one. Check Ebay.

Honing steels and sharpening steels are the same thing; there are some 'diamond' steels that actually remove material but they're much more expensive. The steels with the deep grooves are markedly inferior since they get damaged much more easily (and then damage your knives in turn). The henckels one is like $10-15, works great and lasts forever.

>actually remove material

All "honing" or "sharpening" steels remove material. They are abrasive. All of them.

>>henckels one is like $10-15, works great and lasts forever.
2nding this.

I just moved into my own place, my knives have never been happier.

I'm asking for the 'honing' rather than sharpening steel because this book and the CIA textbook both say to stay away from the diamond sharpening steels and look at true grooved honing steels. The reason they both give is that sharpening steels remove material while honing steels only reshape the edge.

>The reason they both give is that sharpening steels remove material while honing steels only reshape the edge.

But that's simply wrong. All honing/sharpening steels are abrasive. The only difference is how exactly they work. The old-school ones had grooves like a file. The newer ones are sometimes made of abrasive ceramic (like a sharpening stone, but it a rod shape), or they are steel with a coating of diamond powder.

Take a look at old carving sets and it's abundantly clear that even the "old grooved ones" remove metal. Pic related. See how the knife is concave on the belly rather than convex? That's from repeated use of the grooved steel.

Here's another example. Use of the grooved steel has completely removed a significant part of the belly of the knife blade.

...anyway, the old-style grooved steels tend only to be effective on relatively soft knives. They don't work very well on high hardness found on many modern knives. Furthermore, with the modern design you can choose the level of grit you want. Many brands offer variations you can choose. I have a DMT diamond-coated steel, "extra fine". Cost about $20 and I've been using it regularly for about 10 years now. Shows no sign of wear or failure.

i have a few of yaxell's knives, works well.

So if i'm looking to get my first good chefs knife what would be the best length to start off with?

240mm

I'm now steppin right into this dogshit for no reason.

Ok, first of all, nice/expensive Japanese meme knives are not exactly as flimsy and easily damaged in kitchen tasks as you're assuming. second, usually anyone who bothers to cook in someone else's home is usually confident enough in their cooking skills to not be banging someone else's knives on a granite counter top or gouging cans.

Secondly, decent roommates/girlfriends without kitchen skills should generally understand not to use your fancy knives anyways; if they aren't decent enough roommates/girlfriends to respect your nice stuff, then you got bigger and more expensive problems ahead of you than kitchen knives. Kids will always find something just as expensive and dangerous to fuck up even if you hide your knives, so who cares? Teach the little shits to not fuck with the knives like any sane parent.

Thirdly, I'm willing to wager that most of the knife nuts in this thread that have the money and knowledge to buy fancy knives and be able to sperg out on stones, steel types, honing vs. sharpening etc. will also have an "insurance policy" knife in the form of a cheap Vic or an inexpensive robust German blade that they can hand to their guests or roommates without offending them.

Oh, and finally. Are you seriously implying that a catering chef is too fucking dumb to bring his own knife roll? I know I wouldn't hire a chef that unprepared. That's a stupid argument.

>will also have an "insurance policy" knife in the form of a cheap Vic or an inexpensive robust German blade that they can hand to their guests or roommates without offending them.
>violently agreeing with the person you are arguing with

Aspbergers, the post.

The point is you're handing them a worse knife that you personally wouldn't want to be stuck using

i bought the one ramsay uses in his shill videos.

these are shit but they will replace one no problem when they break.

Santoku v french... v gyuto... v chinese cleaver.

GO!