What does Veeky Forums think of abaci?

What does Veeky Forums think of abaci?

Other urls found in this thread:

pyramidal-foundational-information.com/file_download/415/Chinese abacus.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

We use calculators here caveman.

You can do calculations on an abacus faster than you can type them into a calculator.

Is that why they use abacuses everywhere?

sorry, famalam
my calculator has way more fucking memory

They are great for the purpose of training your mental calculation faculties.
See the wiki article for "mental abacus".
I remember seeing a class of indian looking children, crunching long lists of multi-digit multiplications and divisions, hell! even square and cube roots, just by imagining an abacus and moving their fingers to manipulate their mental space.

This. And the abacus can be imaginary.
10/10. Abaci are some good shit.

>I have not been to the Far East
OK

>Far East
I wouldn't be jealous of North Korean technology.

>Sandniggers

Nice try

abaci run on calculi

a calculus is a little stone, so yes

Pretty incredible stuff desu

ใงใ™ใ€‚

A lifetime of training can get you slightly faster than a 4 dollar calculator when doing simple equations

That sort of mental task is used by many people in many different ways. Visualization is greatly used. For instance, "Method of loci".

A useful skill if you're stranded on an island and need to find the surface area of a dome shaped tarp.

Abaci involve more moving parts than "traditional" western math, but there are fewer rules to keep in mind.
So there's less rote memorization and practice to be done.

What you're saying isn't wrong, but you'll get better results with less effort by practicing with an abacus.

>I wouldn't be jealous of North Korean technology.
I wouldn't either. Instead I worked in Japan.

>>Sandniggers
In the Far East? Remember that a large fraction of the about 3000 executions in China every year are for dealing wit the Uighur issue, These are recirculated as involuntary organ donators.

I do em faster in my brain, get rekt nigga

Japan is a culture that can't get over tradition even if things could be done more efficiently without it.

you're such a goddamn weeb
I don't need to practice to be able to use a calculator somewhat quickly. and from a purely practical standpoint, I really don't mind if I need to wait a few more seconds to punch in some numbers

don't get me wrong, abaci are cool as fuck and I want to use them more often (for fun/novelty, and maybe it'd be cool if is right about them being imaginary, I need to do more research), but posting that they're better just for the opportunity to be pedantic is fucking stupid

True. It is western only at the most superficial topmost layers.
The few skyscrapers they have are provided with computer controlled hydraulically powered counter weights to compensate for earthquakes.

To be sure they also have a little shrine on the roof.

>I am so angry I was proven totally wrong.
You'll get over it. Eventually.

Addition and subtraction? If entry speed is the limiting factor, you can beat both the abacus and calculator by doing it in your head.

>tfw i'll never be able to afford a curta

Mmmmm, nice. Tempting.
Browsed eBay, found many. Price is steep but within range. Barely. Trouble is when more than 20 are following and snipe at the end.

Perhaps 3D printing will one day bring a new generation up. M(E)MS with silicon parts are now the thing in expensive watches so why not for a micro-Curta? Add in a micro abacus and we are golden.

Great taste user.

see

That's a soroban

What effort are you supposed to be saving given everyone has memorized addition and subtraction tables already?

Make the buttons reasonably large, and the calculator will beat the abacus every time.

>I must speak words
Let me guess: you have never ever used an abacus in your life, nor did you ever see someone even semi skilled used one.

Everyone knows how an abacus works, and given that it's more movements than typing the problem into the calculator, it's not going to be faster unless you have shitty small keys or something else impeding you.

Adding and subtracting more than two things quickly.

With addition and subtraction tables you break down your inputs by tens places, but your answer is "put back together".
With an abacus your input and your answer are in the same format(answers are already "broken down") which speeds up successive math based on previous answers.

Beyond that, you can use an abacus to do (potentially quite large or messy) multiplication and division in your head. Which is otherwise a slow process. Finding square roots in your head is also much easier with an abacus; it's still messy, mind you, but far less than normal.

I was going to include a 5.12 MB file here, but the limit is 4 MB. Anyways, here you go:
>pyramidal-foundational-information.com/file_download/415/Chinese abacus.pdf

Abaci require less force for actuation and you can move the beads as you run your hand towards the next set of beads.

If input to an abacus was really faster, why wouldn't people be using abaci for data entry instead of 10-key pads?

>practicality determines standards, right?

It could plug into a USB port just like anything else.