Hey cu/ck/s, I wanna discuss homemade sausages

hey cu/ck/s, I wanna discuss homemade sausages

I don't have any intestines, machines, or the finances or know-how to go down that route, so I'm interested in trying to make caseless sausages (I don't care if my sausage has the pop or not, I just want a good solid shape so I can grill it and fit it into buns and present it well). It seems the best way to do this is to roll it in plastic wrap. Sounds good, except there's a lot of people suggesting that plastic wrap, when placed in boiling water, will become toxic and fuck your shit up. Something I've never really thought about while microwaving it.

I have two plastic wraps on hand
- Nan Ya, which appears to be PVC, and lists its heat resistance point at 120 c
- something marked as PE, which lists its heat resistance point at 95 c

Would either of these be suitable for a few minutes' simmer? Barring that, could I switch to foil or cooking sheet, or place a layer of foil or cooking sheet between the meat and plastic? Or is there some other way to make caseless sausages? What do you guys have?

Other urls found in this thread:

bu.edu/scnc/2013/03/01/the-other-meat-alternative-seitan/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Don't be such a tightass.
At least get some artificial casings and something like pic related.

well you see, I don't have a lot of money or a lot of space, I live in a small studio apartment with very little wiggle room in Asia. and with living in Asia, it's hard for me to figure out where I can find what products, especially at the right price. If I were a serious sausage enthusiast I would get down on it and have a smoker and everything, but for now I'm just trying to make my own Italian sausage in a country that is widely devoid of Italian sausages

Invest in the sausage machine, make delicious Italian sausages and see them.

*sell

don't have the capital
look, I got nothing against casings, I wouldn't mind using them if it were convenient enough, but right now I'm dealing with a baby kitchen and simple things, so I'd like a simple solution for caseless sausages

Just make meatloaf. Or meatballs. Very similar flavor profile.
Or get some casing. I'm pretty sure you can find intestines in Asia, all those slanty-eyed bastards do is eat offal.

right, but I think I might have trouble keeping the fat and seasoning together

one thing I noticed when watching youtube videos of people parcooking sausage in plastic wrap is that there seems to be no loss of actual food product, which is one of the benefits that a casing provides. if I cook with patties, there's gonna be a definite loss of oil. plus it's more likely to fall apart if it's not parcooked

oh, even if I did get casing, I think I would still need a machine to do the stuffing. not really possible for me

Make Scotch eggs.

why do people keep giving me increasingly outlandish suggestions

I just want to know if I can safely use plastic wrap or some substitute to preform caseless sausages and parcook them

You might find something if you look up ballotines. I typically see those being made with cling film so you might find a detailed blog about it or something.

Why do you keep insisting on plastic wraps? We get it; you're on a budget, you have little space, there's a 60% chance you're a weeb faggot, etc etc.

But nobody here is going to recommend plastic wraps for sausage making. Is it possible? Fuck, maybe. You're already dedicated to the idea, you might as well try it. Don't come here for logical opinions of you're going to ignore logic anyways.

Good luck.

it doesn't have to be plastic wrap, but it needs to be something that I don't need equipment to shove meat into

>hey guys how do I make sausages without buying or doing anything that involves the thing that makes sausages what they are

Just find a recipe for sausage and make patties or something without the casing. But you can't make sausage without grinding the fat and seasonings in with the meat, so you'll have to buy ground pork and mix in extra chopped fat like pork belly as a compromise. Stop asking stupid questions, or at least think about what you're asking before you say what these guys are suggesting are outlandish or stupid.

jesus christ it's not a stupid question
look, have you made regular sausage links in your life without using casing?
Y: please give me some advice
N: you don't need to post

Nobody is going to help a faggot that instantly shits on all the advice they're given.

Hey fuck you. You CAN"T make links without casing you unbelievably stupid shit. I grind my own country sausage a lot, but it sounds like you don't know shit. The best you can do is take the mix and form it into "links" and par cook them in boiling water so that they hold together, like shitty breakfast links. But those are not sausage links, those are just tube-patties, you shit.

OP, there are lots of American sausages that just come in bulk packages like ground beef, that you make into patties and fry in a pan. Alternatively, just make your sausage meat, wrap in plastic wrap to define the shape, then freeze it to hold its shape, and grill/fry them straight out of the freezer, after removing the plastic.

It's not rocket science.

>it's not a stupid question
>Have you made sausage links without the necessary requirements to make said links?
>have you made a bowl of cereal without a container to put the milk and cereal in?
>have you ever made a sandwich that didn't have any kind of bread-like substance to hold my fixins' together?

Like I said earlier, good luck.

>buying special equipment to make something you only do on rare occasions when it's no faster than some other, more easily attainable method
Faggot.
Just use a pastry bag. That's what I do and I make a several dozen sausages per year. I do it every three to four months, sat in front of the TV, watching Jeremy Kyle.

First
>nanya
TW or SG?
Secondly, if nanya clingfilm is good to over 100°C, then steam your sausages in it rather than boil. Alternately, lotus leaves, banana leaves and corn husks are good substitutes if casings are really that hard to come by but unlike boilable clingfilm (which exists, but seems to be rare these days), they absolutely must be steamed.
Secondly, pic related is homemade processed kebab meat, which is essentially a gigantic sausage. Note that it's meatloaf shaped. That's because it was steamed in a meatloaf pan. However, it was wrapped in clingfilm first.

Without casings, there will always be loss, no matter what you do. However, it won't be nearly as bad as you think if you know how to make the sausage in the first place. Emulsified sausages, like hot dogs, have two additives to keep everything together: albumins and starch, usually corn or potato. Both food starch and albumin are sold in just about every supermarket the world, so you're golden there. All you need do is blitz the mince with the albumins, then mix starch in by hand. Then you can steam the sausages to gelatinise the starch and coagulate the proteins in the meat and albumins.

See above. All you need is a pastry bag, if you can get your casings, that is.

He doesn't have any finances to go down that route.

>Have you made sausage links without the necessary requirements to make said links
it's not like no one has ever made caseless sausages you nincompoop. The defining features of sausages are the shape, the use of solidified, pre-formed ground meat, and the flavor of the sausage in question. Intestinal casing is used to hold form and give it a snap. If there are other ways to make it hold form and I don't need the snap, why would it be imperative that I use casing? I already gave clear evidence in the OP of alternative ways.

>have you made a bowl of cereal without a container to put the milk and cereal in?
as in, have I ever made cereal without a bowl? of course. have I made it without anything to hold the cereal at all? great metaphor, that's not what I asked.

>have you ever made a sandwich that didn't have any kind of bread-like substance to hold my fixins' together?
I have, it's called a salad. If someone came in here asking about bread-free alternatives to sandwiches, I would recommend making a salad. I could also recommend crackers or patties made from things like rice or nuts. But maybe the idea of thinking outside the box is just too godamn much for a culinary conservative such as yourself, so I guess this thread is just not for you. Thanks for nothing.

First of all, thanks for knowing what you're talking about and paying attention to what I wrote, Veeky Forums needs more of you.
What exactly is a pastry bag? I live in Taiwan if you happen to know the Chinese way to describe a pastry bag. Maybe I can find one at a baking store (these places are for baking, not meats, so they wouldn't sell the stuff for sausage stuffing).

How would you recommend I steam? Is steaming significantly different than simmering? In fact, wouldn't it be worse, since water has to reach the boiling point for it to release as steam anyway?

I was thinking about using bread crumbs for my Italian sausages. Shouldn't that be good for helping it all stick together?

nevermind, figured out what a pastry bag is
yeah, that could work if I figure out who's selling casings
I've never seen them in the grocery or markets, but I've also never searched for them. I'll do some research

Down what route? Putting mince into clingfilm and cooking it without having to buy an extraneous equipment or ingredients, which is exactly what he was asking about?
Since user lives in Chingchongland, I guarantee he's got eggs and starch in his cupboards, so he's got everything necessary for making sausages already. He doesn't need to buy any extra equipment. Mix the mince with the albumins from the eggs, add starch and seasonings, put onto clingfilm, form sausages, twist shut and steam until set. Once set, they can be barbecued, grilled, fried or smoked. Not sure about other countries, but Hungarian, Polish and other central European red/pink sausages are steamed first then smoked. I assume other countries do the same.

I really think he ought to go the emulsified route, though. This is how bakso and pempek and surimi are made, too. Less loss because the starch is better able to keep the fat and moisture in the sausage. But if OP lacks a blender or food processor, using fine mince is okay, too.
And he doesn't /need/ a pastry bag, just that it helps a great deal, is all.

all very fantastic info

so my next question, how much egg and cornstarch should I use for, say, one lb/450g of ground meat?

Are you chef or just only non troll on board?

Hi DonerKebabfag. I remember you from other threads.

How is he going to even make the mix without grinding the meat, fat, and spices in the first place? All he would be making is meatloaf, which is tasty but that's not really Italian sausage and it won't even achieve an italian sausage texture/flavor. Then if he has a grinder to make sausages, then spend an extra 4 or 5 bucks and get the casing tube and some cheap casings online or something.

Breadcrumbs for italian sausages? Are you sure you're not trying to make meatloaf?

Oh, and get your head out of your fucking ass. You're not painting the full picture of your living situation before shooting down suggestions.

Do butchers and meat markets over there have ground meat, or grind things on demand?

Simmering water is also at the boiling point. If there are any bubbles coming to the surface, it's there. And that's only 100° either way because water can't get any hotter than that. Whether steaming or simmering, both are moist applications of heat and both will be safe for the clingfilm you'll be using.
As for how to steam, just put your individually plastic-wrapped sausages onto a steamer tray and you're good to go. Traditionally, as I mentioned in , central European sausages are steamed before being smoked, but they are made with casings. Long chains of sausage are strung up onto racks to go into the steamer (or, at home, they're coiled onto a tea trivet).

I mentioned the kebab meat I showed you because you can cut it into square-shaped sausage-like bits for eating in buns. However, it's an emulsified sausage, so if you lack a blender, that's right out. Emulsified sausages are so smooth throughout that you can slice them with a vegetable peeler, pic related.

As for breadcrumbs, some cultures, though not Italy, use rusk in making their sausages, most notably the English. Rusk is just breadcrumb in its bread-y form, before being ground into crumbs. As such, I don't see much a problem with using breadcrumbs, but starch, either corn or potato, is what's used in most countries with a strong sausage-making tradition. Many also add milk to their sausages, but it's not really necessary. All you need are eggs and starch.

you came so close so many times OP. gj, thanks for playing.

Is there any difference between prepackaged grocery store "ground pork (fine)" and what I could make with pork butt, belly, and an expensive grinder? Is there anything about mixing by hand that keeps it from becoming "real" Italian sausage, other than the fact that I wouldn't be using casing?

my head is not in my ass. my OP left a lot of room for various kinds of input, but the one thing I made clear was that I was not looking to use casings. everybody responded by telling me to use casings. don't be a douche.

I'm not sure what butchers do, I haven't been to an actual butcher's shop. There are street butchers in the wet market, but their tools are mostly dirty tables and large Chinese knives. I imagine some of them must have grinders, because minced pork is needed for most varieties of buns and dumplings.

On another note I found this while searching for steamed sausages: bu.edu/scnc/2013/03/01/the-other-meat-alternative-seitan/ It's obviously for vegetarian sausage substitutes, but it seems to support the idea of wrapping sausage mix in foil before steaming. What do you guys think?

Sounds good so far, I think I can make do with the starch. Do you know how much to add?

Also what is the benefit of steaming over simmering?

boiling is gas leaving the substrate. water boils long before 100C. hell you even see bubbles in a glass of water that's left out for a day.

The albumin from one jumbo-sized egg should be enough or two medium-sized eggs. As for starch, 1-2 tbsp should do you. Perhaps 3, but unlikely more than that.

Used to be a personal cook, ran my own sandwich place selling homemade delimeats on homemade bread and stuff back in uni and worked as a baker, as well. Never had underlings, though, so not technically ever a chef.

If he has mince, he's good to go. If he wants to make it emulsified, he'll need a blender or processor, but if he doesn't have them, he'll still be fine. The spices don't get ground up with the meat but are stirred in by hand after the meat is already emulsified. Pic related: it's spices and salt on the emulsified chicken.

>breadcrumbs?!
Some parts of Italy, particularly the German-speaking and Ladin-speaking areas, do indeed add breadcrumbs to their sausages in the form of butcher's rusk. Rusk is used in making many fresh sausages, like bratwurst, which Italian sausage is a form of. Starch can be used for both fresh and emuslified sausages. I use starch for both because I find that it affects the flavour less than rusk does. Rusk is not strictly necessary in making fresh sausage, but it helps the sausage's texture.

>do stores in asia grind meat?
Not sure about Taiwan, but I would be surprised if they didn't. I lived in PH and SG as a kid and supermarkets in both grind meat to order if you ask.

Yes there is a difference. Ground pork that you buy at a store is going to have much less fat than needed for sausage, and you have to supplement it with fatback or belly. You also have to grind that fat with the meat otherwise the extra fat will be tough, chewy, and really unpleasant.

Typically italian sausage is made with cuts of pork ground at the same time as the fat and mixed with spices by hand, and then ran through again into the casings, which mixes things even further. You also have to let the mix age before stuffing, or the pork fat won't pick up the flavor and color of the spices.

>Yes there is a difference. Ground pork that you buy at a store is going to have much less fat than needed for sausage, and you have to supplement it with fatback or belly. You also have to grind that fat with the meat otherwise the extra fat will be tough, chewy, and really unpleasant.
You're assuming user lives in your country. In Chingchongland, many supermarkets sell both lean and fatty pork mince. Fatty mince is roughly 50% fat (!) and lean about 90% lean or more. Mixing the two in equal measure yields a mince that's about 30% fat, which is just shy of what's used for making bratwurst and Italian sausage.
Also, fresh sausages don't need to be done very, very finely. Supermarket mince is fine enough for fresh, but not for emulsified sausages.

Everything else you said is 100% true, though.

But normal mince from butchers make mushy almost hotdog-like sausages from it being too fine, I know this from a failed experiment using normal mince from butchers. That is, unless the chingchongs have coarse or chili grind out on the shelves.

Im not gonna lie, he shut me the fuck up. But i stand by what I said. If you're going through this much trouble to avoid the necessary requirements to make sausage, i doubt OP is going to follow through on the series of life hack/ food hacks it's going to take to make a passable meat stick.

well, the pro here gave me some very straight-forward advice that seems easy enough to follow. considering most of the work in making sausage is shit I already knew how to do (hell, I used to make gyros back in the day, though not nearly as firm as what Mr. Chef here can produce), I don't think my life is going to be upended by a call to add one egg and some starch to my recipes and grab the fattiest ground pork I can find.

Oh, I see what you mean. You want coarser, not finer. Yeah, that might be a problem in some places, but shouldn't be to difficult a fix. Just ask for a coarser grind. Most places will grind to order if you ask. Just grab a package of boneless meat to the butcher and he'll do it for you. There's usually a small charge involved unless you're in a western country.

>hacks
Nah. It's just regular stuff. Nothing too extreme or anything. Again, I make a few dozen sausages per year, both fresh and emulsified and it's so easy, I can turn my brain off and watch TV as I stuff the casings. It's hardly labourious.

actually, it seems like I could probably just use a funnel and I think street meat vendors here might sell sausage skins, so I'm gonna try to check some time this week. but if I can't find it or figure out how to effectively stuff it, I'll probably just use foil and par steam it.

if I use skin, should I still use egg and starch?

It helps.