How's the writing career coming, Veeky Forums?

How's the writing career coming, Veeky Forums?

I literally and literarily cannot complete a story

I believe in you, senpai

12 pages of my life in a cult book completed so far. May need to rewrite them.

I tried writing poetry but realized that I need to know a lot of words to write poetry. Any attempts at a story just end up me getting frustrated and not finishing it in the end, so I'm holding off writing for now and focusing more on reading.

Taking part in a novella writing competition for teens (13-19). I've seen the winning publications of previous years, and I think I've got a pretty good shot

You realize the reason previous year winners seemed bad is becaude the judges are usually mediocre idiots in these things

>tfw been waiting to hear about a short story for five months
>'in progress' on submissions manager for nearly that long
>sent the website a letter last week
>no response yet

On the one hand, I hate not knowing the story's fate. On the other hand, as long as they haven't sent me a rejection, I can pretend that they MIGHT accept it. I can live in a state of hope.

Pretty great. Getting paid to read and write philosophy is nice.

Dear mr user

We at Stratford publishing house are very interested in the story you submitted to us. Your writing talent had us all on the edge of our seat with interest, your story shows great promise. With your permission, we would like to publish it in our next issue of June 2016. Should you accept, Jonathan Richardson of Editing will contact you shortly to prepare your story. Financial questions will be adressed by our Human Resources manager Julia Kingsley.
Please contact us as soon as possible to work out all these details.

We all look forward to hearing from you and working with you.

Don Brownsmith,
Editor of the Monthly Literary Supplement Magazine

breathe it in

Breathe in my farts dude lmao

Does anyone know of a decent place to submit poetry? I've shopped around for a while now, but it's hard to find decent information from third parties.

>I'm too fucking lazy to get anything done

career? i'm not getting paid for it, it's not my primary job, and i'm not currently submitting anything anywhere. but i'm writing a fuckload, so i'm happy.

Good, good. Having trouble if I should write just one book or three for the first part of my series, as for the theme of my book its going to be about fear.

I've never written a complete story in my life. Even in English classes, I would write tbq or not finish before the tuned essays where done. Some how I received a 3.8 GPA unweighted. These threads are motivating me to check the wiki for books on how to write. Thank you, senpai

a paper shredder

damn, i just got owned online

>realize your draft for the third part in a series has a chronological inconsistency which renders the protagonist's character arc senseless

Terrible.

I've drafted four novels now, all of them shit.
I haven't gotten anything published since february.
I write everyday but I don't get better.
There is zero hope of this panning out for me
and I hate myself.

Send me your novels. I will edit them and make them into something worthwhile. We will split 60-40.

You'll always need to rewrite everything.

>lazy
Nah, you're just dumb

I couldn't even write a resume for the written paper on my practice asigtenure. I'm fucking done with that. Currently reading some Karl-ove. /blog out.

Thanks

only just started to learn to write last year. i've written a decent amount, playing with ideas I've had. Currently revising what I've written and trying to understand what I'm lacking in.

I doubt I'll have any kind of career anytime soon, but at least it's fun still.

>only just started to learn to write last year.
Are you four or something?

well obviously I mean seriously, I didnt think someone would be stupid enough to think other wise

So, what was your inspiration to start writing? I'm thinking about writing poetry, and then maybe moving onto prose, but I don't really know why I want to. There isn't really anything I feel so passionately about that I want to write about it. I guess I just don't have motivation. What motivated you?

>Are you four or something?
what did he mean by this?
surely you can't be "four" and "writer" at the same time??? see pic for explanation, Figure 3 clearly shows nonsensical output after combining the two?
can somehow pls explain what he meant by this promptly because I am suffering from mild biasness of autism spectrum and this confusion is making me pretty uncomfortable.

I've got a short story coming out in a magazine next month, and I just had a poem accepted for an anthology, so OK, I guess.

bite this, it takes the pain away: complete the rough draft first. just focus on getting it to X word count. then revise your shit after.

i wish i could be this high

now that was a take down. gooood jooooob

that's pretty funny. not laugh out loud funny, but more like a mild sensible chuckle type of funny. like in that meme gif. i like memes. they're funny.

I fucking love you

First book goes online next week.

What's the name of the competition? I might like to enter

Medium-sized American independent is releasing my debut in a month or two.
Erotic romance novella (BDSM rom-com), currently in the 2nd round of edits. Using a pseudonym.
Hoping to get a short story in an anthology this month, then want to release as many of these romance novels as possible in the next year or so to see if I can make writing fiction my primary income.
Finished a BA in Lit this time last year, spent this year NEET, writing and living off them sweet minimum wage savings. Shitposted for months, got anxious about wasting my life, wrote the book in 2 days but spent 2 months trying to find a publisher

>Erotic romance novella (BDSM rom-com)

Greatest literary achievement since Ulysses, I eagerly await the IMPAC award announcement.

>Implying this won't use pleb tier romance novel tropes to advance an anarchic endorsement of radical sexual freedom, resulting in a generation of young thots who'll want to sit on lad's faces, spit in their mouths, and get fisted, instead of this fucking vanilla 50 Shades of Grey shit

Chad doesn't spit in girls mouths and fist them, and facesitting isn't even kinky. Are you a virgin?

I'm just a faggot with a blog who can't even finish IJ, my career is fucked.

Still looking for agents. I have come to the conclusion that most of them are morons
>I only accept things that pass the bechdel test and I really want authors from marginalized groups
>twitter is tumblr tier shit. Non-stop posts about trans stuff
>her client list is pasty white woman with blue hair and numales
I should become an agent. Shit looks easy enough.

>Bechdel test
Love how Archer took a shit on the Bechdel test in the second to last episode. Like, the main character is a man who's involved with all the women in the show both personally and professionally. Of course Archer rarely passes the test, but it's hardly a misogynistic show.

>radical sexual freedom
Your 'radical freedom' is about 40 years too late, m8. The grandkids of 'radical freedom fuckers' have already grown up and died of AIDS, and you're still pushing this old worn-out shit.

I am afraid to read what I wrote because I may discover that I dont like it.
Does this means I also have a distorted perception of myself in my everyday life?

It's a normal thing to be afraid of, but you need to get over it. I'm quite confident that I'm a decent writer but I always have to grind my teeth a bit before reading my own work.

It's a matter of facing the truth about something that felt really good to make, but may or may not actually be that good.

I started rewrite on the first draft and I'm trying to slim down on scenes from the start (there is no need to have two chapters dedicated to the MC's life right before the action gets started) but I'm iffy on how to continue. There's the immortal fear of rejection when I get finished and I'm certain that if it got published, it would be lauded/trashed as pc/sjw-tier.
It's a hard knock life wanting to please everyone.

You're the moron, there's a reason literally everybody is publishing under ethnic pen names now.

Find a nice feminine Chinese name already.

How dies this agent even make money? How do the tumblrites?

Hipster lit is hot right now I guess.
And there's no shortage of mentally ill 20 somethings who can put together a generic sci-fi story about a tough girl protag who fights against gender norms

How naive is the prospect of being a game designer and writing content (lore and stories and stuff) for your games at the same time?

Uncertain. Do publishers really want you to have a ~big online following~ before even considering looking at your stuff?

Phenomenally, a few years ago. Chris Avellone started as a pissant programmer. I think JE Sawyer did too. They had to claw their way up to having clout and they were probably lucky to be plucked from Faceless Code Monkey tier.

Probably less so nowadays with indie development becoming big. But the answer is basically the same either way: Get really really good at actually making games, and use that to get your ideas heard.

No one hires "idea guys," really. Even if they did, they'd hire something more like a movie editor, which is a really precise and intuitive skill that doesn't involve vomiting your own personal narrative visions out onto the film, to do stuff like proper storyboarding and scripting, creating atmosphere in level design and scripting, etc., not writers.

If you can do actual game design though, no reason not to start working on real projects, putting together a portfolio, and trying to get the attention of companies. Maybe even do a Kickstarter or whatever.

I doubt that it's necessary but it does help
Of course a publisher is going to take on someone who has a large following. They already have an audience that they can sell to and they have a place to advertise.

Oh I'm aware of this. The whole "ideas are worthless" talk. Instead of having just good ideas, actually having the skills and experience to execute those ideas into a product of entertainment that you can make a living off of. Which of course your ideas are probably going to have to change drastically and your artistic vision damn near shat on for the sake of more popular tastes.
It was more of a question of: is it possible to have the time and energy to do both?
Perhaps I need to actually prove myself in one field before I start dipping my toes in another, you've already stated.

>writing career
Lol.

Pro-tip: Avellone and Sawyer both being in their early 40's isn't coincidental; they both rode a wave and got carried to their positions.

Good, I'm a published author of a short story... called Mushrooms Gone Wrong about my teenage drug use.

>writing """"""career""""""
wewlad, I don't expect to support myself on it

The book will be about my experience in withdrawal paralleled with the larger problems in the medical system that led me down this destructive path, and about the following lawsuit against my physician that followed (which I won). While sick, I kept a daily journal of my experiences in withdrawal, so I will draw upon that material and the research I've done to describe this hidden epidemic in American medicine.

Would you read it Veeky Forums?

The more I cringe at my own past writing, the more I improve.

are you sure it's not the other way around?

Sounds incredibly biased from the start.

>wrote a lot, never published anything because I didn't care
>write a 600 pages novel.
>revise it and show it to some friends. They loved it.
>suddenly feel like publishing
>don't know what do.
This, so far.

congrats! what magazine?

>(You)

>self-publishing

I'm John Green, and my career is going very well.

>show it to some friends. They loved it.

Show it to some people who are not your friends and see how you feel after that.

Go ahead. We'll wait.

That's what I'm trying. I'll visit punlishers and all and see how it fares.

Slowly. I'm working on a screenplay. My main problem is that the dialogue that I write sucks and reads like ass, and my style is probably in clear violation of every script writing convention out there. But fuck it, I keep doing it anyway because I'm really fond of the idea that I had, and the lead character I created. Progress is really slow, I've been working on this thing since like... late 2013 (?), and only now I'm getting close to completing the first act.

Style is R-rated action with a bit of exploitation thrown in. Think Sly and Arnie here, only I'm using a female lead. A _muscular_ female lead, because I dig muscle, but don't wanna look like a faggot. I'd love to release a sample piece one day for you all to read, so you could laugh and point fingers at me, and call me a faggot. But the time is not ripe yet.

I recognize that, which is why I'm thinking it would be better to write it clearly stating that this was my individual experience. The thing is, there's a massive amount of malpractice when it comes to psychiatry, and the issue needs to be addressed. I'm not one of those people that believes "all meds are evil" or anything like that. As long as I stay within the facts and stress that this is my perspective, then I'll have a credible book. There is nothing wrong with building an argument.

I won one of those when I was in high school. Here's my tips:
>keep the concept simple. A lot of kids try to fight a 200 page idea into less than ten pages
>stay away from genre fiction
>no tryhard symbolism or allusion
>cliche but true: keep it honest/personal to you