Is there any novel that helps you accept the inevitable fact that you're going to die some day?

Is there any novel that helps you accept the inevitable fact that you're going to die some day?

Goddamn l wish l had born 500 years later so that biological inmortality had already been researched

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Wd0iCAp4xVw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The thing about age extension is that once we can add, say, 50 years to your life, there's a pretty good chance the science will have advanced enough in that 50 years to give you another 50.

And so on.

The first man to live to be a thousand has probably already been born.

Emil Cioran's books.

>I need somebody else to help me how to think
What are you, a liberal? Think for yourself, you fucking pleb.

Joyce's a portrait of the artist
The part in the church is surprisingly comfy and reminds me to get my shit together before I die
Oh and op scientist say the first person to live past 1000years old has already been born and may be as old as 50
You may live forever yet

What do you read books for then if not to expose you to knew ideas?
You probably write your own books as re read them endlessly

>not loving the fact that you'll finally be dead one day and you won't be there to suffer anymore

As Cioran said, without the possibility of suicide, I would've killed myself a long time ago.

>knew ideas
Ahh fucking shit you guys know what I meant

heh, i've read plutarch's 'on superstition' yesterday, it made me smile how he wrote about atheism:

>A man thinks that in the beginning the universe was created out of atoms and void. His assumption is false, but it causes no sore, no throbbing, no agitating pain.

when even Veeky Forums is full of these sores, throbbing and pains of those who are afraid of death

that his essay is a nice criticism of the faith out of fear but certainly he gave atheists too much credit

you should assume that you have money to undergo such a treatment

also extending your life for hundreds, thousands, millions (can you even imagine being alive a million years?) doesn't mean living forever, you will die anyway

yes yes we know just let us dream

>without the possibility
Is it thought, idea, or possibility? I can't remember and I haven't read it in the original language.

I read for my own amusement, but sadly I can't write anything more than terrible fanfiction and speeches for politicians. I don't even believe the ideas in the speeches I'm writing, all that matters is that they're effective.

I was making fun of you but okay

The moment extended life treatments come into play people will just find further reasons to slink into poverty and depravity.

Can you imagine the retirement age being switched to 85 or 100 after a few decades of widespread use, then wages go down less per person as you can't be paying out so much when you have 10 billion people living for 125-150 years.

Working longer, more divorces, more marriages, more children ,more pleasure, more reasons to seek pleasure.

Most people with more life will only find more ways to waste it, it'd just help further along the death of a society.

>and space travel

>smug Christian who supposedly tries to be loving and humble can be seen here celebrating the pain of those who don't subscribe to his personal beliefs
I wish I could say I was surprised, but most religious people are egregious hypocrites.

Anyways, I generally agree with Plutarch. Being an atheist is much harder and more painful than it is to be a Christian. If I could embrace the existential security blanket of Christianity, I would be happy to do so.

New dellilo is about grasping for immortality. Fuck immortality.

No.

You're going the way of escapism, the opposite direction.

You're in a constant state of, "I'm going to die." That's the truth and the best way I know of accepting it is to write the statement "I am going to die" over and over for as long as it takes until your thinking accepts the truth.

10:37

youtube.com/watch?v=Wd0iCAp4xVw

im agnostic

>Anyways, I generally agree with Plutarch. Being an atheist is much harder and more painful than it is to be a Christian.

certainly you either mean disagree or you completely misunderstood my post

plutarch says that atheism is easier than the faith out of fear and better than ascribing to the gods bloodthirsty and cruel traits, but atheism is worse than the true piety. i merely noted that he gave atheists too much credit saying that their world view doesn't bring them pain

>Being an atheist is much harder and more painful than it is to be a Christian. If I could embrace the existential security blanket of Christianity, I would be happy to do so.

it's funny how you literally contradict plutarch :3

>The atheist thinks there are no gods; the superstitious man wishes there were none, but believes in them against his will; for he is afraid not to believe. And yet, as Tantalus would be glad indeed to get out from under the rock suspended above his head, so the superstitious man would be glad to escape his fear by which he feels oppressed no less than Tantalus by his rock, and he would call the condition of the atheist happy because it is a state of freedom. But, as things are, the atheist has neither part nor lot in superstition, whereas the superstitious man by preference would be an atheist, but is too weak to hold the opinion about the gods which he wishes to hold.

p.s. i also provide a couple of quotes that that his work is easily can be used to criticize the christianity

>What need to speak at length? "In death is the end of life for all men," but not the end of superstition; for superstition transcends the limits of life into the far beyond, making fear to endure longer than life, and connecting with death the thought of undying evils, and holding fast to the opinion, at the moment of ceasing from trouble, that now is the beginning of those that never cease. The abysmal gates of the nether world swing open...

>But in the estimation of the superstitious man, every indisposition of his body, loss of property, deaths of children, or mishaps and failures in public life are classed as "afflictions of God" or "attacks of an evil spirit." For this reason he has no heart to relieve the situation or undo its effects, or to find some remedy for it or to take a strong stand against it, lest he seem to fight against God and to rebel at his punishment;

You're right about it being easier but I'm not sure I would. Being subject to a cosmological dictator for all eternity seems like a fate worse than death. It's incredibly freeing to know that you will die and be forgotten eventually yet live on through your work and actions (and atoms).

>im agnostic

Stoner attempts this. Not sure that it succeeds.

It won't make you feel any better, but there's an Auden poem about the terror of death in the age of reason. I forget the title.

What about literature that helps accept... I don't know how to put this, maybe how fragile we are?

I can accept that I'll die, but shit, what if I had been born so retarded I'd never have enough wits about me to accept anything and I lived like a zombie, or a vegetable.

Or if I got in a car accident that rendered me a quadriplegic.

Or if I had grown up in a city with shit tons of pollution and the fumes kept me from fully developing or some shit and I was at a permanent -15 to what my IQ would have been.

What if I was born and raised without the discipline required to go about training myself to become more disciplined?

I'm not sure if you get the picture, but yeah.

Shit bothers me

Hey man, I suffered from the same exact problem as you.

I was unable to relax, constantly thinking about it. Trust me though it will pass. Although, a novel won't help you.

I was reading Ovid at the time, and when I got to book XV there is a portion where a character discusses becoming. I understood what I was in the universe after that. Read Ovid, and learn that "All things are changing; nothing dies"

This is not some Buddhist spiritual bullshit, and when he says "soul" or "spirit" realize that the word anima in Latin was absolutely not that same Christian sense of a detached version of you flying around, it was simply that force of life: life itself. Things are 'changing' they do not 'change' nothing is in a state of being, all is constantly becoming.

meow

The Pali Canon

The Machine will fix all that, provided we actually manage to get human civilization off this planet so that it can be built later on down the road.

“I think I could stand anything, any suffering, only to be able to say and to repeat to myself every moment, 'I exist.' In thousands of agonies -- I exist. I'm tormented on the rack -- but I exist! Though I sit alone in a pillar -- I exist! I see the sun, and if I don't see the sun, I know it's there. And there's a whole life in that, in knowing that the sun is there.” -- Dostoevsky (The Brothers Karamzov)

I was paraphrasing, but the gist is definitely "the ability to do so." (not that I've read in the original language either)

I like Becker's Denial of Death
Though idk if it "helps" accept it