The Veeky Forums Major Poll - Simply copy-paste and reply

1. Post your major and why you originally chose it. Don't be shy or sugarcoat your reasoning. Post the true reason, however silly, malicious, or elitist it was.

2. What do you like and dislike about it? What surprised you? Was it what you thought it was going to be?

3. Are you happy in regards to your choice?

4. If you could go back and choose something else, would you and if so, what would that be and why?

5. Would you consider yourself to be a confident, or depressed and hopeless/lost individual? Do you have goals that you want to reach? Are you an organized, motivated person that wants to get somewhere with their life? How would you personally define yourself in less than a few sentences? Be as honest as you can.

6. Describe your university without giving away its identity. Describe the students or your peers in your major. Give us an idea of its ranking (inter)nationally in your major and overall.

Thank you

1. Computer Science / Mathematics double major

CS: Like: Algorithmy courses, graph theory courses, general problem solving. Dislike: Courses that had a high fact:problem solving ratio. (ie computer architecture, etc)

Math: Like: Graph theory courses, Algebra courses. General open-ended problem solving. Dislike: Differential equations courses (or at least how they're taught, basically most of the class was engineers) and other related courses in 1st year and kinda 2nd year where problems were overly formulaic and you could just look up a method on paulsnotes or something on how to solve a certain type of question.

3. Yes

4. I don't think so. I might swap out a few courses but I would keep the majors.

5. I have goals, but my motivation changes a lot. Sometimes I'm super motivated, sometimes I am not at all.

6. Somewhere 100-200 internationally
Peers:
CS: Relatively normal people. In 1st year there were a bunch of people that seem to be Veeky Forums's stereotype of a CS major, but they all seem to have dropped out. There's not many girls though.

Math: Relatively normal, inquisitive people. There's a significant minority of super-autists though that are insufferable. I mean legitimate autism, not Veeky Forums autism. There's some in CS too, but the ones in math seem to be on another level. A lot more girls than I thought there would be.

1. electrical engineering. Chosen because mostly I really liked math, and it was my best subject. the curriculum material all sounded really interesting to me and I always had an interest in how electronics worked. The job market thing swayed me a lot too.

2. Dislike: the mountain of work that comes every semester and all the time I spend playing catchup. It's killer.

Biggest surprise: Probly the fact that getting a job with an engineering degree isn't automatic like every one says, and you have to suck dick all throughout undergrad for internships, and getting your foot in the door. Also I thought digital logic was gonna be fun but boy was a wrong. Most dry boring material ever and it was hard as fuck.

Like: I find the material to be really fun. It also helps me understand what's going on when I work on my electronics hobby shit. Truly enjoyable work.

3. Not at the moment but I'm told it gets better.

4. Would drop college completely and learn the electricians trade. College is expensive as hell, and the Job outlook sucks. The competitiveness of it is very disheartening, and I'm really not college material. I feel like one of the few people that has not enjoyed their college experience in any way.

5. Certainly depressed. Not very motivated at all, suffer from a tad bit of social anxiety. Still not 100% on what I want to do with this degree. Have plenty of goals but far too unmotivated and depressed to work towards them. I think about my goals, get fired up for about 2 minutes, then I just want to sleep and lay down again.

6. Probably not ranked very high at all even at the national level. Handful of genuinely awful professors. I mean so bad that you could ask them to do an example of a problem and they would literally be incapable of doing it. Our EE department is ~12 years old. I truly hate this place and how mediocre it is. Going here kind of put a sour taste in my mouth about college I think. I wish I tried harder in community college.

I know your feel. Was in Electrical Engineering and hated the amount of work. Now I'm in software eng and it's 10x less work. Getting a job is easier as well.

Forgot the reason why for 1).
I chose CS because I've always enjoyed creating things and programming and problem solving, and then I later chose the math double major after taking some discrete math courses and enjoying them as part of my CS major.

1. Mechanical Engineering BSC

I went into mech because I have experience working on cars and I love it. Working for Toyota this summer so I'm pretty pumped.

2. I like all of my applied science courses like thermo and fluids. I dislike the manufacturing engineering courses I have to take although I only had those courses this year so it should be good from now on. I surprisingly liked my materials course way more than I expected.

3. Yes, very happy.

4. Probably either software engineering or applied mathematics. Software eng I would go into because I was pretty good at cs in high school and the university courses I've taken in cs, but I don't think I'd like the jobs I would get out of college. Applied mathematics would've been good because like 50% of my close friends are in it, but my GPA would've suffered if I had taken it so I'm glad I didn't.

5. I'm pretty confident, and I'm a normal level of socially active, I live with 5 of my close buddy's and we have a reasonably large friend group. I go out approx. 3 nights a week and still manage my work. I want to work in aerospace eventually so that's my goal, idk how realistic it'll be straight out of college because my GPA is very average. I'm extroverted to an extent, but I don't mind staying in and reading a book every once in a while. I would say I'm a realist which makes me pessimistic at times, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I am not terrible with women.

6. My university has easily the most socially active and fun engineering program in the country, and probably one of the most socially active and fun universities in the world. The alumni fucking love it and it's a top 5 engineering program in the country I'm from. Recently it was ranked internationally as one of the most employable universities, and it's in the top 30 for alumni wealth internationally. It's not huge and it's one of the oldest universities in my country. It's probably ranked top 200 internationally for it's education quality.

Oh yeah, and I love my university and the experience I've had. I wasn't a loner by any means in highschool, but my social friend group is awesome and extremely motivated. Overall 10/10 I love life right now.

1. Biology, reptiles and venom make me happy.
2. Course load is crazy, i had two semesters where i was taking a biology, a chem, a calc, and a physics(calc based).
3. Yeah, it is pretty enjoyable, I spend a lot of time lately thinking about whether I should get my phd or not.
4. Maybe toxicology, but eh.
5. Classic type A personality, I'm a little damaged from a fucked up childhood, but I manage pretty well.
6. Top 50 for my program, don't care enough to know its over all ranking. big school, land grant. Definite party and football culture, I am grateful premeds are not in my classes, as a bio major you see a lot of kids drop out of the program, does kind of get in your head a bit.

1. Biochemistry. Attracted by biotechnological aspects, and the notion of genetic engineering gave me a hard on. Fantasized about humans strapped into machinery and being used as biological factories.

2. Not much math; watered down physical chemistry; enzyme assays are boring as fuck;
memorizing a ton of shit isn't always super interesting.
On the other hand a lot of the stuff actually is pretty interesting and it's rewarding when you get to have those mind = blown moments.

3. Yes

4. Maybe I would have gone for biophysics instead. More math; quantum mechanics sound pretty cool; I think I would fit better with the crowd.

5. Not confident but not hopeless either.

6. Filled with normies. Top 50/100.

Nice

1. Chemistry. When I was a kid (~14) I wanted to make drugs for money. So I made Erowid my daily bread, read an orgo book and basically picked up enough general knowledge in my idle procrastination around the internet to five the AP chem test. So I'm kinda like the huge fags who do CS because they want to make vidya gaems, only I saw it through and developed a sincere interest in the actual subject plus have a shred of actual ability.

2. Most of my studying I've done alone and by myself. I grew to not trust public school teachers to give me the knowledge I need to be successful and that's carried over into uni. My first year I'd routinely show up to orgo 45 minutes into class if at all, and I'd drop my homework off at their offices. The classes I'm taking on paper are essentially a formality.

3. Read Rudin my freshman year (using Rosenlicht as a companion text because I'm a dumb shit) and grew steadily more interested in proof writing and advanced math as mental exercises to improve me as a researcher and broad thinker and as hobbies to themselves. Largely have the dank Veeky Forums maymays to thank. I could have declared a major in math and focused on that, and often regret not doing so, but it's the nature of hard choices that you're never fully satisfied. Bright side is what I know from dicking around with linear spaces turns out to apply on a very deep theoretical level to quantum/computational chemistry.

4. Idk I'd fuck more obviously drunk dudes and probably do more drugs (am fag, not engineering tho)

5.Treatment-resistant depression. That's actually become one of my research interests. Motivation is a big issue, which I mostly deal with by confronting the fact that I don't find anything else interesting.

6. A cookie cutter fucking "Small Liberal Arts School" with 1.5 organic chemists. Ranking is mid-high tier but ranking is fucking bull-fucking-shit

>1. Post your major and why you originally chose it. Don't be shy or sugarcoat your reasoning. Post the true reason, however silly, malicious, or elitist it was.
Mechanical Engineering
reason: I really liked the idea that I could design cool things - I've always been interested in the design of stuff like airplanes, spacecraft, container ships, etc.
Money wasnt really something that I thought about when I chose my major, I didn't really go into MechE thinking I was gonna become a millionaire... although it would be nice

>2. What do you like and dislike about it? What surprised you? Was it what you thought it was going to be?
I am a freshman, I don't think I can say a lot about mechanical engineering quite yet. But I think I would say I like the coding part a lot more than the physics so far, programming also seems slightly easier and kinda more exciting

>3. Are you happy in regards to your choice?
yeah, I would say I am happy. I would choose meche again if I was reapplying to college

>4. If you could go back and choose something else, would you and if so, what would that be and why?
no

>5. [deleted to save space]
I am much less confident in my abilities after coming to university, but perhaps that is a good thing - I am learning just how much I can grow.
I wouldn't say I am organized, but I am motivated. How would I personally define myself... quiet, socially awkward, idk

>6.
I really like my university, I like most things about it except for there not really being good places to sit to study and eat on campus, also its not quite as sunny as my home but its still pretty nice
students: pretty normal people, they don't exactly seem different than my classmates in high school. diverse crowd, a lot more Asians, most pretty liberal
top 5 in my major, top 10 overall, I guess it depends on what ranking though

>Chemistry.

stopped reading

1. Physics. By process of elimination, it was what I disliked least.

2. I enjoy understanding how things work on a fundamental level. I don't dislike anything in particular. I was surprised that Integral Calculus is still my hardest math course so far (Starting 3rd year this fall).

3.I'm happy with it, I have good grades and on the way to grad school.

4. Actuarial Mathematics. I chose physics initially due to being a curious person. Over time, I learned to love the math that came with it.

5. I'm a realist. I'm not the best. I'm not bad. I'm ok. I'm not organized and I could be a bit more structured in my studies.

6. Top 25 worldwide.

I've said this before, but here goes:
>1. Post your major and why you originally chose it. Don't be shy or sugarcoat your reasoning. Post the true reason, however silly, malicious, or elitist it was.
Mechanical Engineering, My parents told me to be either a doctor, a lawyer or an engineer and I chose a random engineering degree.
>2. What do you like and dislike about it? What surprised you? Was it what you thought it was going to be?
I just fucking study what I have to study to maintain a high GPA
>3. Fuck no, I want to kill myself but I like some things. Even though I may look like a normie on the outside I'm dead inside.
>4. Being born
>5. I think you already know my answer.
>6 Top 20 in ME (I think) in a weird as fuck small ass island where every weeb wants to come.

Almost did the same. Keep reading he mentions Rudin.

>biology
>chemistry
>biochemistry
>computer science
>software engineering

>science and mathematics board

feel free to close the door on your way out. you don't seem to be on the right board. These are the only majors allowed on this board

>physics majors
>mathematics majors
>electrical engineering majors
>mechanical engineering majors
>chemical engineering majors
>a few token industrial engineering and civil engineering majors so we have someone to make fun of

>4. Being born

Kinda wanna change my answer to that

>Even though I may look like a normie on the outside I'm dead inside.

Fuck, you made me feel bad for you man. What would you really like to do if noone placed any constraints on your degree enrollment?

you need to be 18+ to post on Veeky Forums, it's the first fucking message you get as you enter the site

fuck off, I'm in software but enjoy learning and reading about physics/math in my free time.

Here's my schedule, if you're interested.
I don't know, I kinda like math though.

This. I didn't read over half the replies in this post due to their majors.

wat

You sleep from 10-4 wtf

1. mathematics/computer science double major, because I think information security is neat

2. I like the proofs-heavy courses, like my intro to analysis class. I was surprised at how little interaction students have with their department, and how little communication there is between departments.

3. Absolutely.

4. I'd consider a minor in music, but a double major is a decent course load already.

5. confident, and deeply depressed. I want to own the roof I sleep underneath. Organized, no, motivated, sometimes. I'm clever, sassy, sarcastic, and too detached. I regret all of the wrong things for stupid reasons, and a few of the right things for legitimate reasons.

6. It's a state university with a top tier veterinary program, and otherwise it's primarily an agricultural and engineering school. It's ranked in the triple digits for math, and probably CS too. I've never met anyone in my particular math concentration, and the CS majors are all either single parents in their thirties or weebs that can't not display their power level. I knew what I was getting into. My grades at community college sucked, and I wasn't going to be able to afford to move for school. I had to borrow money for the application fee.

1. chem. i switched out of bio because people on sci make fun of it (srs), and i came to really enjoy chemistry.

2. inorganic/solid state i like. analytical (banal), organic (prime95) and physchem (engineer/physics wannabes) i think is full retard. i thought chemistry was shit until i discovered inorganic and surface chemistry.

3. yes, i enjoy the problem solving aspects of finding new ways to make new and existing materials

4. probably nothing. i dont particularly enjoy math due to bad educational background in it, so if i could change that, maybe solid state physics, but their goals and approach are different.

5. not organized, dont particularly care. i am an introverted egoist with a high IQ, a full home gym and huge knowledge of bodybuilding and fitness, and a comfortable life. I am also fat as fuck, dont exercise, and have no academic/social motivation or ambition. i believe life is ultimately pointless, and therefore don't feel particularly obligated to go out of my way to achieve something beyond immediate interests.

6. shitty, but i dont have to pay tuition. typical students, not too many tryhards here. if i was interested in the game, i'd have gone to a more prestigious one or not at all. i dont know its ranking but id guess it would be low.

>chem. i switched out of bio because people on sci make fun of it (srs)
Is this a meme? This might be the most fucked up thing I have heard today if true. I wanted to believe that Veeky Forums would never actually affect anyone that way. At least you found something in chemistry you enjoy.

i remember my freshman year in university. its exciting to "belong" to something isnt it?

just dont get too caught up in it and let it define you.

by your 3rd-4th year you'll come to realise that at graduate levels and above, your major choice means about as much as the certificate you hang on your wall.

To clarify, this is only on weekdays. And that "勉強” symbol means study, the one on 16:00 is sports.

nope it is 100% true. it isnt the only reason, but this was a few years back when the meme was more popular and when literally every other post was

>biology
>real science
with quizzicallookfatman.jpg

its a bit sad because i didnt understand at that time how pointless undergraduate courses are in general, and that biology at graduate level and above is every bit as legit as every other science.

i just happened to be lucky and find something interesting in the major that sci deemed more legitimate.

i feel silly about it now, but it is what it is

i also pictured sci as a collection of academics who congregated to discuss important topics professionally, ie this pic.

so you can see how flawed my perception of this board was at the time

That's really fucked up IMO. Oh well, as you said, you're lucky you found interesting subjects in chemistry. I guess it's a good thing that the bio meme has died down recently and is contested by responsible users on Veeky Forums.

Thanks for sharing. I had not imagined memes could be so effective. Good luck on the rest of your degree/career.

1. Mathematics. Chose it because I attended a summer math camp, found I had talent and liked the experience very much. There is this sort of competitive environment about who can get the answer first, but also a sense of collaboration by putting partial solutions on the board and having someone else finish it with the new insight gained and viceversa, it is a truly unique experience.
2) I like almost all of it. Maybe dislike that it is a bit harder to get a group with such a great dynamic as described before.
3) Happy as a clam.
4) I wouldn't, what I would do is apply to another university, I started going to a local one and then tried to apply to a bunch of too famous ones, should have applied to some not so glamorous places, too.
5)I'm alright. Social networking may trip me up in the future, but the worst case scenario is still pretty good. Grandfather was a school teacher and I respect him a lot.
6) Maybe the best in my country in a fairly bad country for mathematics. I wasn't born in the right place. I have limited input about my peers but from what I've seen I'm among the best by math prowess. Of course, that doesn't really mean that much, what with being mostly the rat's head.

I wonder how many poor souls will have this happen to them with CS, and then end up with a math or phys degree making half the money if Veeky Forums hadn't persuaded them.

i think it affects my personality type more than others. It bothers me that even now i still care a bit if people think i am in a "smart" major, even though i know its all bullshit.

But back then i think it was a combination of being in 1st-2nd year and having no clue about real science, and i was browsing sci for the first time and not realising it was just regular and often bitter people on the other end trying to take out their own insecurities on others.

if i had realised it was just a bunch of people, probably my own age, who had as little of a clue about science as i did, i probably wouldnt have changed majors.

but you know the youngsters dont really know the difference between undergraduate level courses and actual science.

they think biology is all memorization, and most undergrad bio courses are to an extent, but that's not what biology actually is.

i do my part now to shut down the troll posts, and try to educate anyone who is as misinformed as i was, actually believing biology is a joke.

the problem is its mostly math students who believe this, and at best they took 1-2 bio courses in first year, so its just as hard to convince them bio is legit as it is to convince a typical bio student that math is more than doing boring problem sets all day.

1. Mathematics- was something I really excelled at and I didn't really like anything else at the time.

2. Having to memorise proofs for exams is a bit annoying and the workload is massive compared to people in my accommodation studying other subjects. Was surprised that I could actually do the work... Was expecting to struggle massively.

3. After finally figuring out what I'd like to do after graduating, yes. A few months ago, I was just doing the degree because I chose it and wasn't really enjoying myself at all.

4. I would maybe look at computer science degrees more seriously, but I'm quite happy since I'll hopefully need a lot mathematical knowledge in the job I'd like to do.

5. Depressed, think of myself sometimes as hopeless but just believe that if I work hard enough I'll be fine. Comfortable job with a comfortable salary- nothing excessive and would just like to have enough money such that I don't have to worry about it too often. Depends, I've spent the last 6 hours pouring over a computer graphics textbook when I really should be revising for my exams in 5 weeks. But I'll get both done. Rather unapproachable, struggle to connect with people and a bit of a /g/ stereotype (mentally and physically)- would like to change this over the next few years of my degree, of course.

6. Built in the last 70 years; maths is by far its best subject area; horrible, bland city to the north and lovely countryside to the south. Definitely work hard, but some obviously slack off sometimes. Very clever and can't count on everybody struggling on an exam if I am personally. Top 3 / 4 for maths in the UK depending on who you ask, top 20 internationally apparently. Uni as a whole is maybe top 100 internationally? I don't really know tbqh

1. Biology graduate student. I guess I've always been fascinated by natural complexity

2. like: doing experiments. dislike: undergraduate pre-meds

3. yes

4. I would still choose biology

5. I'm not too confident, but getting better. I want to be a PI. not particularly organized, I'm motivated but not exceptionally so. I would say I'm currently inexperienced in my field, but learning quickly. I don't talk much, but I think clearly and can communicate effectively when I need to.

6. Decent sized public university. Strong STEM programs, especially biomedical.

The medical side of things really hurts bio's credibility. One my major's classes uses the same lab as the premed microbiology lab, the prof is incredibly adamant about us sterilizing everything before we do anything because of how incompetent these people are.

Why is the EE market so messed up?
Is there just too many EE majors? Are the EE jobs going away?

The problem isn't pre-med per se, but the fact that it's totally flooded with people who are doing it for the wrong reasons. I respect the ones who actually care about medicine, but most of the time they just bitch about their grades and clearly aren't interested in the material.

h1-b visas

just checked, and apparently it's ranked in the double digits in the US for both math and computer science. I guess I underestimated my school.

>muh visas
no, you're just not sucking as much dicks pajeet is.

>chemistry isn't science
t. I failed chem101 but I want to justify the reason why I have a W on my transcript

>captcha: 101

so easy to get these idiots mad

>Major

Mechanical engineering bachelors (physics minor), aerospace masters. I chose it because I wanted to get into the defense industry and because the subject matter is extremely interesting to me. I also really like the breadth of the discipline (fluids, structures, systems, controls, etc).

>Likes/dislikes

I love everything about the subject, but engineering these days does not have nearly the programming emphasis that it should. We were taught MATLAB and that's it. Everything else I picked up through work experience. I was surprised at just how broad mechanical engineering is as a discipline and just how much there is to learn and how much is still poorly understood. After getting some work experience I also learned just how long it takes for new technologies and theories to find their way into real designs. It has made me cynical to some degree because now I see an article about landing on Mars in 2020 or some shit and I know it's sensationalist clickbait bullshit because things just don't move that quickly in the aerospace industry.

>Happy?

Hell yes. I landed my dream job in the defense industry right after graduation and it's everything I hoped for. The aerospace industry is extremely cutting edge and high tech and it deserves that reputation. I get to flex my brain muscles and challenge myself every day. The work you do has literally never been done and it's important enough that it's classified. It's extremely rewarding.

>Go back and choose something else?

I'd replace my physics minor with a CS minor. Of course in college it's probably just Turing machine bullshit and not practical applications... In any case my reasoning would be that a deeper understanding of computers and programming is extremely valuable in my line of work. Another possibility would be electrical engineering because it's extremely relevant to what I do. Aerospace engineering is extremely multidisciplinary in practice.

>Confident? Goals? Organized? etc.

Cont...

>trolld xDDDDD
kill yourself

>thinks i'm trolling
I didn't say that. Your anger is getting the better of you.

I'm reasonably confident and not nearly as socially awkward as I used to be. I'm certainly not depressed or hopeless. I have several goals but they basically boil down to having a QT3.14 waifu, financial security, a nice place, a nice car, and being a technical fellow at work. If I had to define myself I'd say a highly motivated scientifically minded person with strong conservative values like hard work, self reliance, and contributing to society. I hate laziness and entitlement.

>university

My bachelors was at a mid tier state school. It had a good engineering program and it was in state and therefore relatively cheap. My peers were a mix of practically minded blue collar types, more theoretical labcoat types, and people there purely to get C's and get a degree expecting a job and $300k starting. They were cool for the most part, but the occasional idiot/autist would rear their ugly head every so often. Due to the location there were also a lot of shit-eating bern victim liberals, but they dropped engineering pretty quickly for the most part.

My masters was at the number 2 school for my profession and in the top 10 for basically everything else, and the difference was certainly evident. My peers were far more intelligent and motivated which really helped me thrive. Of course the amount of spergs was correspondingly higher but that was no big deal. Also the school was much more conservative so there was a lot less SJW bullshit.

j-just end my life aleady user-kun...

can you translate the sections to english?

1. Computer engineering. I spent all my time on computers (still do) and I'm not retarded so I decided on computer engineering.

2. Like: Most of the material. Power is kinda weird though. Dislike: Troubleshooting. I build a thing, wire everything, and it doesn't work for some unknown reason? Fuck that, I'm not finding out why.

3. Yeah.

4. Nope, happy in CPE.

5. Confident in terms of material, I have good grades, in engineering honor society, so I'm not a dumbass. Goal is to be a computer and/or electrical engineer. Patent law also seems interesting. Completely disorganized and unmotivated, although I'm trying to change that (started studying for Monday's final on Thursday for a change). I dunno. I go to class, get good grades (~3.9), play vidya, lurk here.

6. One of the top Southeast engineering schools, also known for agriculture. Has arts, humanities, etc. but we aren't known for them; I don't really interact with them. ECE students are surprisingly normal, only a few autists. Computer science, on the other hand, is a literal singularity of autism. According to uni website, under top 30 for graduate engineering. Not too far past top 100 in world rankings.

1. Chemistry and Dramatic Art double major. For a long time I thought I wanted to be a doctor but I have done theatre as a hobby for even longer so I decided to double major because my theatre major was only 8 classes and I really wanted to pick it back up after I left high school.

2. I figured that going to a good research university would mean good professors. HELL FUCKING NO. All of my professors have been fucking awful except for a select few. I fell in love with the theatre community here and I never want to turn back now. I gave up on my aspirations of becoming a doctor because the people who want to do that at this level are fucking shitty people who can't appreciate learning.

3. I'm glad I double majored because with my knowledge in chemistry I feel like I can better understand the world around me. But also I'm glad I decided to try rekindling my love for theatre because now I'm going to make a career out of it.

4. I probably wouldnt change anything desu. Yeah, I kind of wish now I went to a more reputable school for theatre but I get to have so much production experience here since I'm essentially an entire department. Kids in their fancy BFA programs don't get nearly as much practical experience.

5. I definitely feel comfortable with myself now. I always felt out of place doing science shit, I just stuck with it because I was always good at it. I am a very motivated and goal-oriented individual. I honestly feel like I could do or learn anything if given enough time and resources. I'm not a genius, but I work harder than most people I know.

6. In the top 5 for public universities. Most chemistry majors are okay. We work harder than the other STEM majors here because chem classes don't curve like the physics classes do. I really like most of my peers in the theatre department. It's a shame tho majority of them are actors, I'm one of the few designers we have.

Geology. Picked it because I went to a school that doesn't have an engineering program, and by the time I realized I wanted to do civil it was too late. Felt like the closest thing.

I'm on the hydrogeology/hydrostatistics side of it. It's pretty cool sometimes and I like working with the data. But it's not quite what I want to do and my major is full of fucking retards.

Nah. I'll probably go back to school eventually and get an engineering degree. I got a position with an engineering firm doing the same shit that the environmental engineers do but because my title is "Geologist" I'll be payed 60% what they do.

>4. If you could go back and choose something else, would you and if so, what would that be and why?

E N G I N E E R I N G

>5. Would you consider yourself to be a confident, or depressed and hopeless/lost individual? Do you have goals that you want to reach? Are you an organized, motivated person that wants to get somewhere with their life? How would you personally define yourself in less than a few sentences? Be as honest as you can.

I'm fairly bright, but I'm far from a genius. I cruised through undergrad no problem, but I have difficulty staying organized and keeping focused.

>6. Describe your university without giving away its identity. Describe the students or your peers in your major. Give us an idea of its ranking (inter)nationally in your major and overall.

It's a top 5 public uni in the US. Student body is dumber than you'd expect, but there are a few brilliant students here as well. My major is mostly mediocre students who "XD love the outdoors lol :)".

1. Math, chose it because I liked stem and it was the only subject at my school that wasn't taught like complete shit.

2. I like the algebraic subjects, dislike the analytic ones. Wasn't surprised because I wasn't expecting anything in particular, just that it would be challenging.

3. Not sure, but I wish I knew what modern math research was like (I'm a PhD student now).

4. See 3.

5. Too many questions in this one. Relatively confident, somewhat depressed, primary goal is to have a fulfilling career after grad school.

6. Undergrad was an Ivy league school, but not one of the real ones (Harvard/Yale/Princeton).

Comp sci. Wanted to make video games.

Nothing. It was.

Yep.

Nope.

>5. Would you consider yourself to be a confident, or depressed and hopeless/lost individual? Do you have goals that you want to reach? Are you an organized, motivated person that wants to get somewhere with their life? How would you personally define yourself in less than a few sentences? Be as honest as you can.

Probably not sane. 2 years into uni I was slowly taken over by an urge to learn comp sci with the goal of then learning biology and medicine in order to extend human life as long as possible. I don't know why, I still want to make games. Death is everywhere I look though and it can't be ignored.

>6. Describe your university without giving away its identity. Describe the students or your peers in your major. Give us an idea of its ranking (inter)nationally in your major and overall.

Some aids tier university in canada, typically it shits out business students. I'm doing graphics research here though.

>Thank you

> Major
Mathematics, maybe a minor in programming as well; so I could get a job as a backup or be more secure. I'm not sure if I could get into academia with my shitty marks; I simply want to do maths, relax, play games, and thats all. I somewhat want to live a comfortable lifestyle; that's stress free, doing whatever I want, and not wanting to participlate in this ego-manic academia game. A contradiction... Heh... I'm a hypocrite :)

> Dislike
I like maths, but dislike the professors; Maybe because of my ethinicty? They are some people at my uni that uses stormfront and /pol/ anyways.
> Suprised
Not really.
> Thoughts
Meh

> Happiness?
I'm not happy. Unhappy, whatever

> Revert?
No, I wouldn't change my course. Mathematics is the only thing that appeals to me and nothing else.

> Confidence
No, the marks I'm getting are low; makes me feel like shit.
> Depressed
Yep. A combination of being isolated, nonexistent, unwanted, and used (when needed).
> Lost
I'm not lost. I have nothing going on with my life; might as well commit to doing mathematics and shitposting.
> Goals
Do maths, work with real maths, and live a comfortable lifestye. Going to have to put in the hard yards in grad school, of course...
> Personality
Meh just the typical nice guy.

> identity/people/ranking.
This identity of this university is great for Chemistry and Law and nothing else. As for people; it fits well for social butterflies and extroverts as there a lot of clubs to join. For ranking; it's in the top 100 universities in the world. Let's say its just your typical western university...

>Post your major and why you originally chose it. Don't be shy or sugarcoat your reasoning. Post the true reason, however silly, malicious, or elitist it was.

Accounting - it makes money and I can get a comfortable job pretty easily. That way I can focus on math, philosophy, and programming without having to do them all day, every day. (Math minor for now).

>What do you like and dislike about it? What surprised you? Was it what you thought it was going to be?

I originally took the intro accounting class on a whim back in high school, and it totally made sense to me. I really enjoy the analytic part of accounting. It's just the application of logic to data sets in order to determine the optimal process to reach a desired outcome. Sadly, most of my peers in the business school are total derps who shouldn't be in college at all, and I hate dealing with them. 95% of my school friends are either math, programming, or video game nerds.

>Are you happy in regards to your choice?
Meh. More or less - it's not a passion like math and sciences are.

>If you could go back and choose something else, would you and if so, what would that be and why?

If I had it to do over again I'd double-major in math and CS. I'd never learned any programming in high school because I was homeschooled and we didn't really use computers. I barely knew how to type until 12th grade. I love the problem solving in programming - it's like doing sudoku puzzles, but you gave so many more possibilities and opportunities for creativity. At this point it's not worth switching though, and honestly I'd rather use my creativity on open source projects than working for some corporation.

>Would you consider yourself to be a confident, or depressed and hopeless/lost individual? Do you have goals that you want to reach? Are you an organized, motivated person that wants to get somewhere with their life? How would you personally define yourself in less than a few sentences? Be as honest as you can.

I come across as pretty confident, but in reality I don't really know what to do with my life. Some days I want to quit school and go live in the boonies. But I try to stay focused on my goals and that kinda requires a lot of hard work. I hate living with my family (huge introvert and they don't get it), so getting my own place is one of my short term aspirations. I don't know if you'd say I want to get somewhere - basically I just want to survive comfortably. My eventual dream is to get a PhD in math and/or CS, mostly because of the status and to prove to my dad that girls actually can do math. I doubt I'd ever use the degree professionally.

>Describe your university without giving away its identity. Describe the students or your peers in your major. Give us an idea of its ranking (inter)nationally in your major and overall.

Decent. The level between community college and actual good university - I could have gotten in just about anywhere with my SAT's, but there was the money thing and overbearing parents. I should have pushed a lot harder to go away because I can't stand the idiots I constantly have to deal with here. I've probably met a dozen actually intelligent people here during the past 3+1/2 years. The business school is supposed to be one of the best in my area, but it's hardly challenging.

>1. Major and why.
Epistemology. I was sick of people equating belief with fact. I wanted to tell idiots to shut up for a living.

>2. Was it what you thought, good, bad etc.
It was exactly what I thought and I have no issues with it.

Yes.

No.

>5. Do you believe social science has something to do with high IQ and organizational skills?
Social science is bullshit.

>6. Internet College, because I hate people and professors are often emotional and unstable.

>Thank you
For what?

Blessed be
>tell idiots to shut up for a living
for he knows what he does.

What I've done is a little chaotic so I'll have to break this down.

>1. Post your major and why you originally chose it.

>Mechanical engineering
Didn't really know what I wanted to do. I liked CS but it's easier to get into ME and I was good at physics in HS so why not.
Did 2 years, then psychotic depression happened, realized I wasn't really interested in mechanics.

>Math/CS
Because I didn't hate math, CS had too many shit courses, and you need math anyway to get into computer security. Next three years, just stagnated because crippling depression and anxiety.

>Math
Transferred back last year to my rare flag country university no one has ever heard of to be closer to my family for support.

>2. What do you like and dislike about it?

>ME
Drawing, design, materials, machine tools, industrial process, electronics and control theory were fun, but I hated physics and mechanics which is kinda bad when your major has mechanics in the name.

>Math/CS
Did basically nothing. I didn't even like math, it was just a thing I had to do and retaking the same classes over and over slowly made me hate it.

>Math
Accidentally fell in love with probability theory and functional analysis. I don't think I'll ever like linear algebra though.

>ME
I would have probably graduated if not for depression, it wasn't that bad of a plan.

>Math/CS
Same

>Math
Very happy, best decision I made.

I don't like thinking about the past too much. I think these years weren't entirely wasted, I'm grateful for the experiences and I'm a more mature person now.

cont.

>5. Who are you?
I fight to be a better person everyday, and not be depressed/suicidal ever again. Started getting Veeky Forums and even though I'm still DYEL the numbers motivate me when I feel hopeless, because weights don't lie.
According to psychiatrists specialized in autism I have light asperger. Whatever, most of Veeky Forums probably qualifies too.
I am very excited about next year (going to another uni for applied mathematics in september, I'll have loads of probability).
I think I'm reasonably smart when I don't shoot myself in the foot with self hatred. Don't care if it sounds like bragging, but 6 months ago automata theory prof (also head of CS department) stopped me after class to tell me to hit him up to arrange funding if by chance I want to do a PhD.

>6. University?

>ME
Two thirds of the students were 100% in it for the starting salary. Mostly chill normies. Complete sausage fest, 90% guys.

>Math/CS
Basically no one has any idea what they want to do after they graduate, except the ones who want to become high school teachers. More girls than I expected (maybe 40%) but most are crazy and/or ugly. Irrelevant uni (looking at ARWU, it's top 300 overall, top 200 in math)

>Math
Most want to become high school teachers. A handful want to get into research or engineering (some double majored math/physics, I just took more math courses). 90% friendly normies. Only university in my country, invisible in international rankings (math lab has 4 active published profs). We're very small (about 3K students) so we rely on partnerships and prof exchange programs with other universities to fill our gaps (for instance we don't have the ressources for a medical school so we have a transfer program with another uni to ship all our students). Which leads us to...

>Applied math
Don't know how it'll be, but have to transfer for make benefit glorious nation because I'm reaching the limits of what my uni can do. Next uni is top 50 global / top 25 science / top 10 math.

Nice user. Would you mind telling me what Uni you attend?

>1. Thought engineering aligned with what I was good in high school, coupled with good pay and I was interested in flying shit so I chose Aero Eng.
>2. Fluid dynamics is very interesting. Didn't expect there to be so much on materials and structures which is less interesting
>3. Yes
>4. I'd keep my current one, or study another engineering discipline
>5. Confident. Yes to all questions. I already have a very good and stable relationship and we plan to marry after graduation. I'm unsure about what I want to do but I just want a job in which I'll make sufficient money so I can always have the money to do what I want but without work consuming my every second.
>6. In the capital city, with an ugly brutalist campus that used to be a nice 19th century building. Full of aspirant scientists and engineers who later on were lured by the finance companies who recruit extremely heavily here to become boring corporate people.

Looks like Warwick ?

I could not help but notice your png was not optimized user.
I have optimized your png.
Your png is now optimized.

>1. Post your major

Computer Engineering.

Pure CS seems to be highly oversaturated in industry and elsewhere, branching out into EE might be a solid future investment if it increasingly becomes scarce to see an EE degree as the years pass.

>2. What do you like and dislike about it?

Nobody really understands what computer engineering is. It isn't standardized and can either be a narrow subset of EE or an EECS degree depending on what school you attend. It's much easier to tell people you major in EE, CS, EECS, etc. than it is to tell them you major in CompE.

Somewhat. Although its the hardest major on campus by far and there isn't as much buzz around it as CS, making it somewhat of the underdog degree.

>4. If you could go back and choose something else

I would've probably gone into physics if I had the chance. But seeing as to how I didn't really get into any universities with a reputation for physics research, I'm probably not cut out for it.

>5. Would you consider yourself

Pretty depressed at the moment, nothing seems to be working. Resume is as sparse as ever.

My university is too big and the opportunities are too few and far in between. People competing for research, attention, scraps, etc. Professors are wary of cooperating with undergrads since the quality of students is really hit or miss.

You have to jump through hundreds of hoops just to prove everyone you aren't an idiot. Nobody is willing to give a young person a chance anymore these days.

>6. Describe your university

For my department, it's basically either in-state suburban kiddos who are typically mouthbreathers, or OOS kids who got rejected from MIT, Berkeley, Stanford, etc and had to go to the next best option.

The feeling of being here feels nothing like being at a real top 5 though, because I'm sure at a top 5 there would be enough opportunities to go around. Because of the presumption that everyone admitted is qualified.

22-04= sleep zzz
04-08= study
8:30-12= Class/Study
13-16= Study
16-18= Muay thai/lifting
20-21= Eat/shower etc

From friday night to sunday morning I don't even look at my books, I just fuck around all day and go out with people I call friends.

1. Mathematics. First, I just like mathematics and I'm interested in just doing mathematics for a career. I actually do not give two shits about physics or chemistry or art or anything else. It just sounds boring, just teach me more set theory.

2.I like that it was just what I expecting, except a bit easier. I like that there is little to no homework and I like that the professors understand the retard-genius dichotomy. Just to elaborate, in a calculus class 2 days ago, we were doing limits and to entertain the monkeys the professor drew up retard-tier limits (as in limits of polynomials, literally substitution) in the board and then sat next to me with her calculus book and started asking and discussing the actual tough problems, like L'Hopitals rule problems, something she has not taught yet but I already know from self-study, and other more conceptual problems, like what is the limit of A/B where A and B are the area of two triangles, which are both approaching 0.

I don't really dislike anything.

3. I would rate 8.5/10, as more students drop out it will get better though. Already 5 people have dropped out and it is just the first semester. I am just calmly waiting for the group to only be the actual smart people who have a shot at being mathematicians.

4. I wouldn't.

5. I am confident in myself because I cannot deny that I am probably the most succesful student in the whole department, even though I'm just a freshman. Students in higher years were all surprised when a conversation led to me saying that I have a job, where I actually exercise mathematics and it was not a teaching job. I am not depressed but I think I could do with a new girlfriend, one that was as strong at maths as I am.

My goals right now are to just graduate and see where that leads me.

Word limit so continued in the next post

>hard stuff
>l'Hopitals
You are still ass deep in baby math user

I am not organized at all, but I am very motivated. I actually urged a professor to make the class go faster so that I could feel a sense of difficulty so that I can take it seriously. Fortunately he actually said yes and now we do like 3 theorems for every hour of class, it is amazing and I feel that if I did not pay attention I could easily be left behind.

I would personally define myself as such:

I am an idiot who got lucky and turned out to be smart and have made a string of good decisions in the past 4 months that changed me from the most unmotivated piece of shit high school student to the best mathematics student of my group. Aside from that, my general personality is calm, prone to overthinking, and driven by challenges.

6. It is a public university from a non-american country, which means it is free and its purpose is to serve its community. Lucky for me, this university thinks that it is a service to the community to produce mathematicians and is the ONLY university in the entire land that even offers a mathematics degree... so that is amazing. I don't know about the rest but the mathematics department has a pretty simple structure and a small building for offices.

There is only a handful of other students in my group that I respect, and by that I mean that I think they are smart and have a chance of making it. The rest are just there literally because shit like biology gets so crowded that the uni cannot take everyone in and so they were forced to get to their second and even third option, which somehow was math.

The university is ranked like 2000 in the entire world, but it is 1 in the country.

Too bad you are too retarded to see things in context.

This is Calculus I, there is a clear metric that exists only within this class that goes from piss easy to challenging.

I'm sure that I will continue to do well in the future.

1. Chemical Engineering major with Computer Science minor. Chose because I was interested in chemistry, physics, and programming.

2. I have really enjoyed certain aspects of some classes such as learning about reaction thermodynamics calculations or micro fluidics and its applications.

3. Relatively. Sometimes I think I should have just majored in CS because I have straight As in every comp sci class. I do find Chem E more interesting over all though, even if it's harder for me.

4. See question above. But probably not.

5. I'd consider myself to be confident due to my performance so far but I'm also a major drug addict on and off for the last 3 years, with the worst point being August 2015 - January 2016. I'm moving out of state for an internship this summer and am going to try to sober up completely for 3 months but I honestly don't see that working out? My only real goal is to get a PhD and do research that I actually enjoy working on. I am not at all organized but I'd say I am decently motivated by the goals above. Personal description: OCD-ridden ex-junkie poly drug addict loser who's somehow coasting through a decent program and finally managed to make a few friends this last semester.

6. Pretty sure it's the most liberal Uni in the Midwest. In the top 15 chemical engineering programs in US. Top 30 school in the US and top 100 in the world.

1. Physics and CS. Chose physics because I've been fascinated by it since I was a kid. Chose CS because I'm good at programming, it's very versatile and I can go straight into a job after I graduate if I want to.

The things I like about physics are:
>very interesting course content
>gives you great problem solving skills

Things I don't like about physics:
>you barely have a social life because of the amount of work you're required to do.
I'm also interning and have a part-time job, so my social life suffered heavily. Girls have left me because I didn't have time for them (it's not a huge deal, plus thankfully I have good genetics so my sex life is still pretty decent). For the first couple of years, my only friends were my flat mates who I'd smoke weed and eat dinner with every day, they're cool people but other physics majors are either autistic or equally as busy, so I haven't really make friends with most other physics majors.

I've been able to fix this somewhat by making new friends at the gym and taking up BJJ and freestyle wrestling classes. So my advice to new physics majors is to do other things like this outside of your studies, otherwise you'll have no social life.

What I like about CS:
>good course content, it isn't just stuff that I had already taught myself
>the assignments are fun
>300k starting

And I can't say there's anything that I really dislike about CS.

3. Yeah I guess so.

4. My second major used to be math, but I changed it to CS after three years.

5. I don't have a clear-cut plan for my life but I do have goals. I'd probably just define myself as someone who always tries to go above and beyond and someone who is constantly seeking pleasure.

6. I go to (arguably) the best university in Australia. Unfortunately, everyone is autistic and the SJWs run wild, but at least it has a really, really good physics and CS program.

1. Environmental Science - Resource Management Emphasis. Chose this over environmental engineering because I thought I had a better chance of /out/ jobs

2. It's too fucking easy and my peers are a bunch of idiots

3. I'm fine with it

4. I'd probably choose environmental engineering or stick with environmental science but add economics as a second major. I think environmental economics is going to be very important

5. Depressed and lost here. Don't have many goals, i'm organized but not motivated.

6. It's a liberal school in a liberal area in a conservative state. My peers are all super liberals who worship big government and ignore the fact the gov is the worlds biggest polluter. Ranking is probably not great but we have a very outdoor and project oriented program that isn't available everywhere

lol at all the science fags choosing CS as a minor. You know that CS is the way to go, you know that you will most likely end up programming.

Would areospace engineering get me a job at spacex or ula or boeing or nasa?

why must you phys/mathfags be so cringey

>I'm a senior in highschool planning to go into EE/ CE
>most of the EE or CE fags in this thread hate their lives
Welp, guess I'm going with mechanical engineering instead.

>I base my life choices based on other people's experiences

I think that's exactly the reason they are hating their life.

They probably wanted to do some non EE shit but then the meme of the day was
>le EE is god tier engayneering!

and then they went EE.

In about 2 years you will post in a thread similar to this about how you hate your life in ME and should have gone for EE and then some retard will post the post you just posted about not going into ME and the line of cause and autism will continue.

why the fuck do you wake up at 4? why not study from 22-02 then sleep from 02-08?

>1.
Maths. I was originally a physics major because I just wanted to know how the world works, and I used to think physics was the fundamentals of engineering. Also, minoring in cs so I can be employable.
However, the physics degree at my school is really new and therefore it was going to be more astrophysics emphasis when I wanted to take condensed matter/solid state stuff. So because of all my piled up physics credits, it's my minor.
So, like a wife, I have learned and come to love math. And now I have two minors, like a retard.

>2.
I can't really answer this question well, since it wasn't my intended major, but.....
Pure math is pretty neat, but at the end of the day I sometimes wonder, "so what?" Veeky Forums will hate me, but I love applications of math. I'm surprised there's so many people who are interested in pure math.

>3.
Yeah, it's fun.

>4.
Maybe do a meme degree like Applied Math, for the reasons I said in question 2.

>5.
I'm horribly average that it makes me anxious that I won't be able to get a job over my peers. I'm pretty motivated, I go to all my professors hours, I know all my classmates well because I kind of force them to work with me in class, I like discussing how to get to solutions how other people find them. I'd like to get a PhD, but I'm forever 3.4. I just want a half interesting job, and have my own place I can fill with weeb stuff.

>6.
I go to my state uni, but it's a different campus 20 miles North of the main one. Therefore, it is probably not ranked. Students and peers are all highly motivated and good people.

>Thank you
You're welcome, user.

underrated post

No shit they hate their lives, kiddo. These are the toughest degrees that universities offer. Even if you love the subject before you jump in, you'll still fucking hate it while you're in. They WEED PEOPLE OUT of these majors because they don't want people who aren't truly motivated to stay. That's what everyone has to deal with. That doesn't happen in other majors. That's like Navy SEAL shit for academics. ME will be the same way, but with like 5x the people, and it will be a teeny weeny bit less challenging. EE is literally a couple of classes from a bachelors in math.

It really depends on the kind of electives you take as an EE. Some areas of EE don't really require tons of math while others do.

MechE attracts lots of normies though. The kind of people who like to work with things they can see and touch. 9/10 times you see someone in Calc 2 asking why anyone would ever use limits in their entire lives or series, it probably is a MechE or CivE dudebro chad who isn't capable of abstraction.

>EE is literally a couple of classes from a bachelors in math.

Can you show me your school's curriculum?

that's the case for most universities that offer EE user. look at any university and look at their EE and math degrees recommended course schedule

1, Msc Survey Methodology/Statistics. Choosen because it's interesting to me. Applied math with a ton of applications throughout a lot of fields.

2. I like that it has a practical focus. You learn the math and also how to actually apply it to the problems. I dislike that a few profs. always act like we weren't interested in math. They'll water it down a little and act like we're retards from time to time, probably cause like half the people here have a social science BA (like myself) and that obviously has to mean you suck at math.

3. Yep.

4. I honestly wouldn't change it.

5. I am a little depressed, used to be worse. You know not real depression just sad a lot of time. Not really self confident but I can fake it enough to not cause too much trouble on my life. I really want to get a PhD but I am a lazy fuck and can't force myself to do more work. I am overly emotional which has a huge impact on my quality of life. I still dwell over an EX gf even though we were only together for 8 month and it's been a year since.

6. It's pretty nice here. The town sucks but it has a high international ranking for new universities and is one of the few places where you can actually study what I am doing, there aren't many other options honestly. Also one of the greatest minds of survey methodology in the world is our lead prof and I get to work for him as assistant which is also nice. The people here are okay but since very little of them actually move here it's hard to get them to do stuff after courses, they usually just drive home instantly.

I'm looking at University of Washington, and it's either a shit school or you don't know what you're talking about. EE has as much overlap as any other stem major. All the calc series, diff eq, and matrix algebra is not literally a bachelors in math.

1. Mathematics. I chose it because originally I was inspired by my high school calculus teachers, who were superb, and wanted to go on to become a professor with a PhD and everything.
2. I like the "puzzle-solving" aspect of it, the logic. There is no debate, no opinions, just reason. Also the overwhelming feeling of accomplishment when I complete a proof on my own, thus "knowing" beyond a doubt that something is true, kept me going and liking it.

I dislike the way it is taught and graded to an extreme. My professors are arrogant, terrible at explaining things, or simply unintelligible. The curving is terrible and I don't feel like I'm learning nearly as much as I used to, and almost everything seems arbitrary and unmotivated at this point. It is not quite what I thought it would be, but not too far off.

3. No. I no longer have any desire to go to a graduate school or do research. I would much prefer to study differential topology and the like in my own time with textbooks. The fact is that I learn absolutely nothing from lectures. I can't learn this stuff that way. I have to see everything written out in a textbook for it to click, at all. A few good textbooks combined with the internet, however, and I'm pretty certain I could learn more advanced topics soon enough.

4. Yes. I wish I had chosen Finance or Computer Science, but not on their own. As a double major. Ideally, I wish I'd taken a Finance+Math double major. Loads of job opportunities that way. Or even Finance+Math+CS triple major would be absolutely excellent.

5. I'm confident. But also pretty depressed. I have very strong mood swings every few weeks and I have trouble reconciling the fact that my wife is probably one of my only close friends. I have other friends, but nothing that close anymore. I have goals I want to reach, yes, but my anxiety keeps me worried and paranoid about it all day and the people around me worry constantly because I'm so stressed all the time. Cont below.

5. (cont) Math major junior looking for job as an actuary, currently taking actuarial exams alongside other studies and constantly looking for ways to improve my resume. Was unable to get an internship this summer. Happily married.

6. Ivy League, mid-tier. Not Cornell or Dartmouth shit tier but also not Harvard or Yale god tier, in the middle. Students here are cutthroat and arrogant. They want to crush those around them for good grades and are not helpful. Rich idiots. Math majors here are terrible at communicating in general, unsociable and not very fun people who I avoid a lot.

1. Physics. I was good at it in high school and had questions that high school teachers couldn't answer.

2. I dislike thermodynamics. And indian professors. (the two things are very much connected.) Everything else is spectacular.

3. Yes.

4. I would always pick physics. If later in life I could get another undergraduate degree it would probably be in EE

5. I'm very happy with my life. I have confidence and direction. My goals right now are PhD research, and I'm starting grad school next quarter. To honestly describe myself: I'm pretty narcissistic, and I can't stand to associate with people who aren't as motivated as myself.

6. State Uni. Students in the major are a mix of complete autists and socialites, and what seems to separate the two groups is occasional drug use. Only a fraction of the undergraduates have their shit together in terms of research or job prospects after university. Laziness is in abundance here. School isn't ranked nationally, only within the state, and it's not impressive in any sense for the sciences. We have some kickass research faculty though, and if you can power through and impress them then it will make up for the lack of the university's name recognition when you eventually leave for grad school.

If it matters, I'll be a grad student in the UC system. High energy theory.

I'm and I wish I stayed in Cali and gone to Berkeley or something instead of choosing the east coast.

I think the environment you live in and the atmosphere created by the people around you is just as important to a productive career as being around seriously intelligent people and well-funded labs like you find at the Ivy leagues. I personally love the atmosphere of academia that the Ivy league schools have, but the east coast weather makes me want to kill myself and everyone around me. Your weed is really shitty over there too.

Look for a job in Cali. I'm sure you can find something that suits you.

At my uni EE, similar to that just takes calc/diff/eq/linear algebra/etc, so it's 1 stats and 5 math. Every uni I've seen (like that UW thing linked) takes 5-6 math for EE. That's less than CS, since CS additionally takes 2 discete/combinatorics courses on top of calc/linear alg/etc. And Math itself is 23 math courses (analysis, topology, algebra, etc...) and 2 stats courses. You're 1/5 of a math degree. And if you argue that you learn math in the EE courses, you can argue the same thing for CS, Physics, etc. Not to mention that the vast majority of math students are taking math courses as their electives, so they end up with like 30 math courses, not just the 23 required ones.

ME master race