How old were you when you started becoming Veeky Forums and actually read books?

How old were you when you started becoming Veeky Forums and actually read books?

>tfw didn't start at a young age because my immigrant parents didn't read to me

Bumop

started actually reading at 15, YA novels mostly cause i was an angsty little shit

Hm, okay. So it's not too late for me to actually start reading? The last book I read was Lolita, but I played video games for most of my life and I totally regret it.

I'm 18

definitely not too late! there's always time to start reading, just pick up some books you find interesting and read them

You type like a woman.

L O N D O N ?

wanna zuck my dick?

Phew. That's comforting to hear, user. I think I'll read the books from Veeky Forums's starter guide.

You're either a girl or FtM trans. I dunno why.

It's the exclamation point.

My father started telling me to read Poe at 10. I never looked back.

Way to fuck up the thread, faggots. God damn it, can you guys just answer the question?

when I was young (less than 10) i read a bunch of stuff on history and mythology
then I went into fantasy forever
maybe a year ago i started reading forreal

How old are you now?

Right, it´s like with christianity or judaism. It´s never too late.
Get the rules straight boys.

>Get the rules straight boys.
what if they are lesbian girls :^)

damn man i type like a fucking faggot fml

my first session was between 10-14, now I'm picking up on the lost time on subjects that matter.

As soon as I can remember. My parents used to make me read a lot of fairy tales, mythological narrations, Greek/Roman episodes, medieval stories and old, fantastical authors. It's a chance they gave me but I've never left the 16th century.

Girls don't have dicks.

>inb4 fem benis

i learned at age three, i remember the exact moment, in preschool, it was euphoric. the page had a blue background, a bit darker than this board's, black letters. there were still certain words on the page i could not interpret, but i was doing like 80%, where before it had been 0%

before that picture books with my parents

have always read consistently but likely read less than many Veeky Forums users

I only started reading at around age thirteen and the first book I read was A series of unfortunate events because my friend started reading it.

For a few years I just read sci fi and horror teen books but now I almost exclusively read non fiction and have been doing for several years. Read the odd fiction but it has to really interest me.

I read YA horseshit until from nine to eleven, discovered Poe (via the Lovecraft meme) at twelve. I spent the next six years working through popular books (I graduated two years early just because of fucking falling for entry-level memes and achieving college-level literacy at the age of hormonal narcissism. one of my biggest regrets is having that much baseless confidence.). Since a little after eighteen, I've read whatever I've liked, most of which is classical and romanticism with genre/whathaveyou to counterbalance.

So fourteen at latest for becoming Veeky Forums, TBA for actually reading intelligently.

Nice user.
How old were you when you graduated from high school? Graduated when I was 16 :^)

Sixteen as well. Used adult education programs to bypass the normal graduation procedure and go straight into a community college (extreme poorfag).

At 16 I started reading corncobs, not even memeing. Then again I think it was his overt edginess that attracted 16 year old me to his work in the first place. I also tried reading Nietzsche at the time.

Ayy lmao, me too. After I got my associate's, I transferred to a four year and got a BS in Computer Science. Feels good mang.

I hated reading.

>living in a country reading is enough to skip two school years
Please tell me you're not American.

I am American.

It seriously hurts knowing you and your peers will form tomorrow's elite, eve if you're not responsible. Latin was a mandatory course—four hours a week—as soon as I were eleven years old and I'll never be the next Mark Zuckerberg.

33. I am 36 now.

My mom taught me the alphabet when I was 4 and I started reading soon after. She'd take me to the library and I would hit the 30 book limit literally every time we'd go, I had an inexplicable obsession with dinosaurs and animals. I'd even read field guides and shit.
I stopped reading as a teen because I was too busy being an emotional little shit, and started again at around 18, but never with the same fervor as when I was a kid. I miss being full of wonder about everything.
I'm 25 now, I don't read as much as I would like

>I worked more, therefore I worked better
anti-positivist detected

Eh, don't stress about it, user. I just happened to seize the opportunity when I had the chance to graduate at 16. Today, I am an adult Asian-American male who occasionally shit posts on Veeky Forums. It's not that exciting.

Thanks user. I'll still cry tonight while sleeping.

Hey man, at least you're not like my younger brother, who happens to be transgender. He's a little faggot who keeps crying and takes his little estrogen supplements or whatever the fuck. Be proud to live in mediocrity.

I think you're beautiful.

started young but my father thought it was more important for me to focus on sports, my mother didnt care.

Starting growing back into lit when I was 23 years old, 24 now lel

I've always had the habit of reading school assignments which was say 5-6 books annually throughout the entire primary and high school.
I've been read to as a kid, mostly the bible.
I really stared getting into literature when I was 16, with Poe, Lovecraft and Tolstoy. It wasn't a habit as it is now to read daily, but it grew and when I read Brothers Karamazov, Book of the New Sun, Fear and Trembling and Sickness Onto Death I've become a 'lover of literature and philosophy'.
I read 5-10 books a month these days, depending on the size.

I learned to read when I was 3, but I wasn't reading daily until I was 13. I skipped the YA stuff, I wasn't interested, and it seemed kinda' dull.

From 7-14 I mostly read YA, with an interlude at 12 where I was obsessed with Roman history and particularly the Julio-Claudian family. At 15 I spent the entire year reading solely Lovecraft's works in the Necronomicon. Discovered Hemingway and read Moby Dick at 16

15, with pic related. This book means a lot to me because of the circumstances I was in when i realized i actually love books.

I didn't really read that much before because of ADHD, i couldn't concentrate for shit but i've constructed the habit slowly.

19 to 20 now.

At 14 I was autistic, had no friends and tv bored me.

One day I had to read this shitty book for an asignment and it fucking blew my mind, afterwards I read everything I could get my hands on.

Learned the alphabet
>2
Learned to read
>3

My first books were Rand Mcnally maps. I was really into geography and maps. Started reading Goosebumps novels in the 3rd or 4th grade. I even read a Rugrats novel. In 6th grade, I upgraded to adult fiction. I checked out "Fahrenheit 451" and "1984" out of my school's library.

This was the edition of Fahrenheit that I read. I remember thinking how cool the cover was and the book's banned status. It seemed rebellious and hardcore, so I read it. I read "The Martian Chronicles" before I graduated middle school.

Was playing videogames fun? If it was then there's nothing to regret.

I recommend you the Harry potter series if you haven't seen the movies, it's a pretty good entry-level series.

Which one was it.

Never too late. And anyway when you are young you are more arrogant and willful and your judgement is terrible. About 17 onwards is when you start thinking more honestly and rationally.

>Was playing videogames fun? If it was then there's nothing to regret.

I'm hardly a model of perfect living but be real with yourself here. This logic is bullshit.

Started reading books at 7.
Was Veeky Forums between 14-16 reading a good deal of classics.
Stopped, and read mostly nonfiction or not at all for three years.
19 now, just started becoming Veeky Forums again 6 months ago.

Dont start with any starter list. Individual taste is too fickle for any list to encapsulate and you will end up getting nothing out of books you feel obligated to read.

2 oe 3 years old.

My mother read to me in bed. All sort of kids books and alice in wonderland as well. By the time I was five I was reading everyday those adventure books going to school in the morning, in the back of the car, and it all spiraled from there.

And that's why I plan to read to my kid in bed.

>I plan to read to my kid in bed
lewd

Started reading seriously at 22, before that I had a 5 year long cinephile phase where I didn't read much besides film criticism and analysis. 25 now and I've read quite a bit in the last 3 years

Last year when I was 20.

I didn't start reading until 25.

Feels bad but at least I do now.

almost in the same boat, read childrens books and YA stuff in my childhood and up to about 15-16 maybe. After that I stopped reading, and didnt start again until 20, when I just jumped straight into the names I had heard of, like Hemingway and Wilde. Almost 23 now, and have read a lot the last 3 years.

Been reading for as long as I can remember, my parents are both teachers and almost every room in the house was filled with books.

I started reading actual literature at around 18.

Sure, playing video games is fun. But I completely regret not learning anything from it over the years. Plus, I am embarrassed to have played games at all. At least with reading it is more respected.

There is literally nothing wrong with video games. They are a fledgling artform, but have potential just like any other.

>Asian

Stopped reading there. You're in easy mode kid. You can do whatever you want, including becoming female.

I've been reading for as long as I can remember. My parents really cultivated it in me.

I suppose I only started reading "real" literature at 14, when my English teacher introduced me to Hawthorne and Melville.

No thanks. My little brother is transgender and is transitioning to become a girl. What the fuck. I already have six older sisters, I don't need another younger one.

>tfw will never have a brother

you gotta carve your own path, my g. you want a brother? you gotta impregnate your mother and make it yourself.

No thanks. I don't want a son, my man. I have a qt white girlfriend to fugg, and even though my mother is attractive and young, incest is strange, my g. The only relative I'd be willing to fuck is my cousin.

good job not saving him.

>and even though my mother is attractive and young, incest is strange, my g. The only relative I'd be willing to fuck is my cousin.

Christ. Asians just don't give a fuck, do they

I thought I really did when we worked out together. Maybe he got over his repression phase, I don't know...

No, but I give my cousin many fucks.

Tbh I've been reading since I was small, until about two years ago it was mostly mg and ya, but I started branching out. Not sure I like how much of the stuff I've found has been so god damned pessimistic.

>>tfw didn't start at a young age because my immigrant parents didn't read to me
my parents are immigrants and I read more than any other kid

they always had me read classic English lit (kids abridged versions)

I read a fair amount when I was young, but I didn't get into the deeper stuff til like 2 years ago (around 20-21)

I've read books my whole life, but I stopped reading YA when I was around 15. I got really into Orwell at that time, as I think most edgy teens do.

It's probably because you're getting most of your recommendations from Veeky Forums.

yeah, but did they speak english?

lit at 16, 19 now.

i read my first book when i was just over 2y/o, loved ASoUE and goosebumps when i was v. young, but didn't become Veeky Forums until my grandpa handed me a compilation of Poe's stories at 7.

when i was 13, i wore dark clothes and read camus and nietzsche, when i was 15, i found the light of kierkegaard. i don't know which stage counts as first Veeky Forums.

i didn't start reading until after graduating college. i realized i was a big dummy and i thought reading books would make me smart or at least knowledgeable and it didn't

my grandparents tried to get me to read when i was younger but i was too busy being a sk8er boi.

Veeky Forums in a nutshell

Could read chapter books with basic comprehension at like 4, read everything I could. Slowed down now but still make time for books when I can.

~22/23

16 - Palahniuk
17 - Vonnegut
18 - Dostoyevsky
19 - Steinbeck
20-22 - the entire Western Canon

16. Read Stephen King's the Talisman, then read everything else he wrote, then Dean Koontz and John Saul. After that first summer I actually paid attention in lit classes in high school and found that I love to read.

>caring what other people think
I bet you only buy books to show your friends how smart you are too.

This makes me happy.

Point, point, but there isn't any other easy way to garner recs when all of my friends still read solidly YA

16-17 Russian literature and Freud
Needless to say, I didn't get Freud till years

I don't get what you guys mean, I read books since I learned to read, so at 5? Before that my parents read for me, from when I was born. But I guess around 15 was when I started taking reading a bit more seriously, reading classics instead of the latest YA.

17, when my Aunt gave me The Murder of Roger Ackroyd as a present.

video games are a fucking waste of time

since when did Veeky Forums become /v/?

>4

My mom always used to read stuff for me, I learnt how to read with the old Spanish version of Don Quixote (the one with half a page of foot notes translating concepts into normal Spanish). After that, I spent my time reading all the books at my house, all the books at my school library and all the books at my town library. I started getting obsessed with reading stuff in their original language the moment I found a Don Quixote version in normal Spanish (they took all the smut and jokes out, the bastards). I started with English, since we had Poe and Lovecraft English versions at school. I can read a bit in Italian, Portuguese and French, but since the authors I like are all in English I haven't practiced much. I should start learning German.

>I like horror, dark humor and surrealism (or magic realism, also good), anything good in English?

Wasting time is the only purpose of literature.