Which one is it sci? My buddy says it's 1 I say it's 16

Which one is it sci? My buddy says it's 1 I say it's 16

It's 16.

It's definitely 1

20/5 * 1/(2*2)

>Both answers are equally correct

But they literally aren't; order of operations exists for exactly that reason.

It's 16. Parentheses beside a coefficient is multiplication of that number and the result of whatever operations within the parentheses.

So it'd be
>2*2=4
>20/5=4
>4*4=16

It's neither.
The expression is arbitrary, since "left to right'" is an informal convention, and NOT a formal part of PEDMAS.

So what's the correct answer then? I'm genuinely interested

this, the setup is shit really. They intentionally make it arbitrary it seems

both answers are equally wrong, the onus is on the question asker to make it unambiguous

there are two separate answers that both follow what weve defined as the order of operations

>So what's the correct answer then? I'm genuinely interested
There is no answer. The expression is ambiguous, and could be interpreted two different ways.
Therefore the expression is invalid.
It's like asking what color gravity is.

20 / 5 * (2 * 2) = 20 / 5 * 4 = 4 * 4 = 16

I don't know how to get 1 but I'm sure it's not correct. Python interpreter agrees.

The reason people get 16 is beacuse they write the operation wrong and assume it's correct because the calculator says so. If you take (20/5) * (2*2) you'll get 16, but that's wrong. The correct notation is 20 / (5(2*2)) which results in 1. Every operation that has x/y, where x and y can stand for a term or number, you can write y under x. To get 16 you should have (x/y) * z or z/1 instead of z, whereas z can be a number or term.

sry for my english.

>sry for my english.
too bad you didn't apologise for being a braindead 15-year-old

I learned pemdas common core messes stuff up I know some math classes are aligned with the SAT

>The correct notation is 20 / (5(2*2))
But it doesnt say that in the picture

Fucking order of operations problems.. Jesus
fucking chris: just teach kids to liberally use
parenthesis and brackets and there would be no need for arguing over this bullshit.

priorities of mul and div are equal, thus, performing each operation from left to right, resulting in 16. In order to change result to 1, you MUST use parenthesis, otherwise exploding space crafts while start and so on. Also, your mom.

P E M D A S
E
M
D
A
S

The answer is 1 and no both answers are not equally correct

This is why the United States is falling behind the rest of the 1st World in maths performance

BIDMAS

division > multiplication
=16

Assuming the question is (20/5( * 4, not 20/(5*4), shit question and needs moar brackets or latex

>cropped edited picture reposted
>still baits everyone
I swear even /b/ is smarter.