How does Veeky Forums feel about Eragon?

How does Veeky Forums feel about Eragon?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NJXyNEwHsYA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fucking journey that ended too soon.
I wish I could reread it without already knowing what happens.

There's a new one coming out soon, right?

Series ended bro

Loved it since I first read it in sixth grade. Currently writing my own fanfic set in Alagaësia, no homo. I've identified with Eragon for ten years, and it's saddening that Paolini isn't revisiting it anytime soon. If he did, I hope it's with Murtagh.

I read book 1 and 2 when I was around 12-14, and then didn't bother with the third. Just didn't feel compelled to read it. I'm 23 now. would I enjoy the final books, or find them childish?

I just finished my english degree, and am reading Moby Dick.

Paolini's writing evolves as he matures. There's a noticeable difference in the writing from Eragon to Brisingr. Eldest was hard to read because all of the damn politics. Brisingr and especially Inheritance are better for those of us who have grown since then.

That's true, maybe because he was 15 when he wrote the first one?

The journey ended too late. Should have ended with Paolini and his entire family dying in a freak accident prior to publishing the first book.

Wut.

Why the fuck did he end the series so soon when other asses just keep on spawning more stupid books of already bloated stories

I remember really liking the first two, but by the time the third came out i thought i was too old. Is it GRRM tier fantasy? Does is become adult fantasy, or always remain a children's story?

Wouldn't political stuff become an inevitable topic of plot?

What did you think was childish about the first 2 books?

There's never any adult fantasy involved. Anything adult-oriented is merely alluded to. That's something I wanted to explore in my own story while retaining the familiar atmosphere. That aside, it feels like a children's fantasy series all throughout, it just gets more eloquently worded as you progress.

It would, but keeping it to a minimum instead if drawing it out for half of an entire book would have been preferable. That's where he lost some of his fan base. No one reading a children's series wants to read about politics, at least not anyone looking purely for fantasy. There's obviously nothing wrong with making politics a priority, but like I said, I think it was just, a bit dragged out to have been such a frequent topic in this story.

What the fuck?
What the fuck is wrong with people ITT?
Eragon is universally agreed to be garbage that got popular only because the author was on Oprah, anyone who enjoys it as an adult should kill themselves.

Well geez, I didn't know Paolini was even on Oprah.

>ITT h8ful anons shitpost about the anons that like something they don't.

This series was literally only published due to nepotism. No 15 year old gets a deal like that based off 'talent'. Paoloni is an actual hack

>What shall I call my character who rides dragons?
>I know, I'll just move the first letter of 'dragon' up by one in the alphabet lol

That chapter when Eragon's brother kills 600 people with a sledgehammer.
Everything involving the bird guys.
That chapter when that woman has a wrist cutting contest with an orc.
That part when Saphira has sex with the green dragon.

I wasn't referring to the gore or dragon relationships, but human sensuality, which is explored perhaps twice, both times with Roran and Katrina. The gore is one of the biggest reasons it's hailed as being so mature for a 15 y/o.

Also, I'm not sure if your memory is fried or you're trolling with the inaccuracies.

Go back to tumblr or reddit or some other shithole where this kind of literature is acceptable, you retard. Do I actually have to link you one of those massive pages that point out every little thing that Paolini ripped off from other writers and his retarded quirks and contradictions?

Honestly I think the book went from high school age teen to young adult.
A lot of the themes and conflicts and scenes (like when Roran kills 200+ men then feels like shit about it, or you know the pile of dead bodies in the first book despite the really forced baby on a pike detail) are definitely not 4kidz material.

But when a 19th century British author's poem is literally half made up of references to other literature, it's okay right?

You're making me butthurt with all of these petty insults, m8.

You needn't link me to anything. I'm aware of the shit he pulled and the laziness he wallowed in. There's no excuse for it. Maybe I've just got shit taste, maybe you're assmad because you couldn't grasp the sense of adventure and growing up that the readers of this series felt with the protagonist. Look, I can acknowledge that this story has its flaws and the author did some shitty things, but does it matter when people can read the story and enjoy it? How about we get the hell over ourselves and act like people instead of bitching at each other over the Internet. It doesn't matter which of us is right, even if it's you for the most part, in the end I'm still going to enjoy my hack garbage. Can I go back to that without you shitting all over it?

It's entertaining. I certainly don't think as highly of the books as I did when I was younger. But they're fun to read and enjoy the ride.

>guys, the author has to LITERALLY be a perfect human being for it to not be trash!
>it doesn't matter that he's just as human as the rest of us, WE MUST HOLD HIM UP TO IMPOSSIBLE STANDARDS DESPITE THE FACT WE'RE JUST AS FLAWED!
Kys

Fucking thank you.

Being 15 contributes to doing unimaginative things at some points, but he breaks away from that as he progresses. People just can't let some shit go.

Oooh. Star Wars with Dragons and furies really speaks to me, alright.

>the author was on Oprah
Really?

Also
>that movie adaption

We don't talk about that fucking movie.

I think the worst part about the movie was that in an interview Paolini spoke of how everything was exactly the way he had envisioned it. I've never wanted to slap a nigger so hard. It's sad when your vision of it was evidently greater than the author's.

I fucking knew it. I grew up thinking the movie just went unnoticed. As expected, it turns out people were just trying to forget it existed.

Also
youtube.com/watch?v=NJXyNEwHsYA

How, HOW do you waste Jeremy Irons, John Malkovich, AND Robert Carlyle all on one movie?

Gah.

I believe that book was too thick for the execs and writers to skim through to get a rough idea of how the movie should go. Also, Hollywood.

It's so far beyond me. Irons as Brom and Malkovich as Galbatorix was probably as.good as a casting choice they'd ever get for those characters. It's so sad how wasted an opportunity it was.

It was a lie.

>Be me
>Eragon trailer drops
>Excited af
>See Saphira's horns
>Fucking horns
Dropped.

I've refused to even watch the movie knowing the train wreck it was.

>horns
>I think you mean feathers

Veeky Forums isn't allowed to hate anything ever again

what is this thread?

I don't know of any 19th century british poems that do that bit that doesn't even matter. Good authors either reference other works or, when truly ripping off a story, like Shakespeare, add something to it. Good writing, interesting subversion of the cliches (eg Hamlet) or something else. Paolini doesn't reference, he rips off from every place imaginable. His books are power fantasies. I loved his books when I was a kid, but the last time I tried to read them it was excruciating. Do I have to go into details?
You know, I'm not usually mad like this at people who enjoy Eragon. You have shit taste but whatever. But I'm mad at people who come to discuss them on a forum that should talk about better things. Veeky Forums is the only place on the internet that has good taste in books and has traffic. You have your reddit and goodreads where you can talk about this stuff as much as you want, so go back there.

>>guys, the author has to LITERALLY be a perfect human being for it to not be trash!
I never said this. I expect an author to write well and keep internal consistency in his books. 99% of the books that I read meet these basic demands, Paolini simply doesn't. If 99% of writers are LITERALLY perfect human beings...
>>it doesn't matter that he's just as human as the rest of us, WE MUST HOLD HIM UP TO IMPOSSIBLE STANDARDS DESPITE THE FACT WE'RE JUST AS FLAWED!
This is literally "don't complain if you can't do it better" argument.

I've never actually been to reddit or tumblr. This is one of the few interests I have, so I jumped on discussing it as the first thread I've seen for it. I got a bit worked up myself. My apologies.

I hate what Veeky Forums has become.

A monument to our sins?

stop samefagging and go outside you fucking retard

Maybe we memed too much, and now we're paying for it.

Everything I said was accurate you cuck

I got worked up as well. There's /sffg/ general somewhere, keep this kind of stuff in there.

>Brother
>Not cousin
>Sledgehammer
>You're charming now
>Orc
>Not nomadic sand niggers
>Green dragon
>Not gold

Maybe I have autism, but your accuracy gave me cancer.

>>Not gold
It really wasn't the golden one, it was green. (Although paolini never explicitly wrote that they fugged)

I was debating on whether I should let that one slide. I know Saphira got her ass mauled when she attempted an fug with Glaedr, but I must have missed the subliminal fug with Fírnen. Apologies for my actual autism.

One thing I can say about Paolini is that nigga knew how to write entertaining fight scenes

I'll give you that. He had a way with getting you pumped as you read it.

He described it in detail. Literal sex (penis in vagina). Too bad there was no human sex in the books, but Paolini probably would not have been able to describe it authentically.

I swear I thought that when I said earlier there was nothing about human sex. Good stuff.

Please give me the quote, page and/or chapter. I don't remember it at all and I'm sure I'd remember something like that.

I'm serious, I legit do not remember this myself. I second the motion. It would have to be within the last four chapters, if that.

Christopher Paolini, like many mediocre writers, is a whore. The author need to attract the attention of the reader so he makes up an amazing, thrilling setting that soon becomes completely incoherent and unbearable for the story. So it inexplicably declines, because it's the only solution to not admit having fucked it up. For example, when real names are introduced, we're explained everybody used to introduce himself with his “true” name, which happens to give an absolute control over the person. This does not make fucking sense in any way, but it retains the spectator's attention. Then, because of untold shenanigans, this habit became obsolete. How convenient, isn't it? The whole series is filled with such absurdities. A dragon can live a year without eating! Curiously, we're repeatedly proven otherwise in the next tomes. A dragon never cease its growth and can be as grand as a mountain! Am I the only one to question the sincerity with this statement? The magical mechanisms are equally corrupted and poorly built, and the author, once again, simply said us this impossible spell “has been created centuries ago by a monk we don't know any more”, this law-challenging artefact “has been made with a lost material, charmed with a forgotten word”, all these marvellous events are “unexplainable”. “But how is it possible, Arya?!—I just told you so, it isn't”. So is the coherence of “Eragon”. A piping network on the verge of collapsing poorly sealed off.

>tfw all of your audience pussy is underage

Then the prose. Flowery, flourishly prose. I could remain silent on this point since its utter mediocrity is well recognized among you. Let's give a shot, because the prose is helping Christopher Paolini to not think too much about what he said. How so? Well, he has a very strong, effective device to communicate us his feeling, as well as what—I assume—he has in mind: he tell us. Instead of describing how intelligent elves are, he plainly writes “elves are intelligent”. This occurs especially when talking about a dragon or the elves, since he has a so dense respect for them his writing can't follow any more the degree of adulation he has. When a dragon is arguing, you're sure to lost, because dragons are the smartest creatures alive. The writer said so; “they tried to contest what she said, but each the dragon was explaining his point with clear, flawless arguments, in a fluid logic nobody could argue against”. What are these arguments? How are they told, what's that “fluid, logically way of thinking”? We'll never know. We're bound to believe Christopher Paolini when he writes so. This lack of depth is offset with the precious, never-endlessly descriptions he makes about anything else. He's so flowery his description of Blödhgarm and Oromis's virility led many people to suspect Christopher Paolini was actually homosexual. Once again, it's the result left after his weird adoration for elves. As soon as you used the highest term to describe them, you're compelled to not used words with a lower intensity, so “incredible”, “genius”, “marvellous”, “elegant” and all the possible animalesque metaphors are heavily relied on when such a character appears in the book.

Maybe a word on the plot, now. It may be unexpected but it's quite solid, I don't have much to say about it. Dwarves politics were among the best parts, of course, but the whole journey has little flaws. A lot is to say about the characters; sexless—Christopher Paolini must have some high anxiety regarding sex for his novel takes up to three volumes of thick tension so two characters (Roran, evoked, t.3 & Saphira, t.4) finally have sex—and stereotypical as possible. All are either “good” or “bad”, and once a character is seen as “bad”, or incompetent, he's suddenly flagged with all the vices possible, and becomes the source of many troubles. King Orrin of Surda became alcoholic, inconsequential, childish, unable to lead, had bursts of anger, and all the calamities that can happen on a battlefield—stealing, murdering, (untold) raping—are because of his soldiers. Same goes with the dwarves; although they have the most democratic system—indirect election through a college of chiefs—and are the most subtle characters, the way they act is described as “immature” and despised by all the “good” ones (Nasuada, Roran, Eragon “hate politics”, Arya “deal with it”, the others remain silent). A similar lack of ethics is showed with the Urgals. They are refused to take part in the final council to elect the empire successor, and are never repaid for the precedent persecution. Dwarves also never had any reparations from dragons. To sum it up, the Bible is less Manichaean than “Eragon”.

There's still a lot of things to say about this series but I'm wasting my time. I should avoid these damn threads.

"Guys guess what! I have an opinion!"

? Sure.

I 100% agree with how Paolini has descriptions for days on a random ass rock on a mountain, but instantly falls short in supporting his logics of how dragons cannot be argued with or how elves are the most magnificently intelligent creatures in the world. It's simply stated but never supported unless it's through direct authoritative confrontation, which is just a simple glare and command made by an elf. I realized a while back how thin the books would be if the random, unnecessary amounts of descriptive detail were stripped from them.

>ITT faggot one hit wonder author defends worthless meme career

>implying that in reality an entire race getting shat on, then called upon for assistance, then never getting a thank you, people never being entirely prefect, or a population not being entirely morally consistent all don't happen
>implying that all armies in medieval and ancient times didn't rape and pillage
>implying that the corruption of sacred things doesn't happen
It's called real life. Bad shit happens. People are dicks. No conflict has hunky dory results.

but that's wasn't what he said

hi crissey boy
im sure ur next book wont the stephie meyer treatment

what's going on here?

People are bitching about the autistic Tolkien ripoff.

fuck off chris

holy SHIT this is either some next level irony or we have no fucking clue what a good fantasy series is anymore

this

Terrible. I knew it was tripe even when I was young.

Just awful if you read it after you reach the age of 10. I tried at 22 because the book made my girlfriend's childhood and I loathed every single page I read. I had to stop after maybe 5 chapters.

>Book 1: Fucking loved it
>Book 2: Pretty good, made a good sequel
>Book 3: What the fuck stop talking about how depressed you get killing people you whiny bitch
>Book 4: "lol fuck you Arya x Eragon fans" ~Paolini before his book's amazon rating sank from disappointment

I was such a huge fan until the last bit of B4. It came out when I was younger and I REALLY associated myself well with Eragon. Then he started turning into more and more of a non-human bitch. Finally, after I had waited all of those years to finally see the guy I associated with get the girl he loved, Paolini kicks me straight in the balls.

It felt like reality sinking in that I won't experience romance.

>good
>fantasy

This is one of the best threads on Veeky Forums I've seen in ages. We're reaching levels of post-meta ironic shitposting that only the gods previously dreamed of.

I liked it when I was a kid. What else is there to say? Why are we talking about this?

It's not post-meta ironic. It's Reddit.

>Perfection is an unobtainable abstraction, might as well shovel garbage into my mouth

>how does Veeky Forums feel?
>LOL look at this loser explaining how he feels about it

>People are seriously discussing Eragon on Veeky Forums

I thought summer was a myth, moot.

Teenage fantasy.

The last book was fucking bullshit. It shat on the entire series.

He wrote 4 books, building up a romance between Eragon and Arya, among other things.

And then he doesn't provide.

He admitted himself that he had the ending in mind since the beginning but changed it last minute when writing the last book because he got older and thought it was more adult, something like this. Okay Chris, maybe you're right, maybe Eragon defeating the bad guy and living happily ever after with Arya was some teenage lit.

But the fact is that you've wrote an entire series hinting at this, and the revised ending harms the coherence of the previous books.

The ending was so sad and lame. When the last books came out I was too old for this shit, but still bothered because I wanted to know the end. And I just got NTR'd hard.

Exactly. This guy wrote a mediocre fantasy trilogy dragging on for years, you give him the courtesy of finishing it even though you're past 16, and he just stabs you in the dick in return.

What a fucking cunt.

It's a good story for young adults that are into fantasy. I loved it when i was younger. i don't think I could read the books and enjoy them as much as I did before, but again, it's aimed towards teenagers who like fantasy.

yeah the last book was viciously underwhelming. It felt rushed and half assed as fuck.

did a massive demographic switch occur recently or something? I thought it was generally agreed that it is one of the worst fantasy books ever?

I think so. Today is the first day I have been on Veeky Forums in months and it all feels... dumbed down.

you have no soul
i cried every time when i read e[rotic d]ragon

I would enjoy this personally. Please do.

Read it as a youngin' and enjoyed it then realized it was retarded as I grew older. Pls link.

*needs

You could have let the thread die.

>Book 4: "lol fuck you Arya x Eragon fans

This was the book where the established main villain who was like a god with all those dragon hearts and could mind-controll whole fucking armies and could cast magical atomic bombs gets defeated by a half-assed attempt?
God I hated that book