I'm about 100 pages into pic related and about to give up

I'm about 100 pages into pic related and about to give up.

I'm not sure what it is, BM just seems kind of repetitive and hollow. Maybe it's me.

Anyone else had an experience like this? I mean, I thoroughly enjoyed No Country For Old Men but this just seems to lack the tension/pacing and characterisation.

>enjoyed no country for old men
>doesnt like blood meridian

We know your type, trolololol

The type that doesn't enjoy bland and uninteresting prose?

So NCFOM has good prose but BM doesn't??

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??

I didn't say NCFOM had good prose

But you said you enjoyed it which implies you didn't find the prose bland or uninteresting, which it is. It's basically a movie script.
Blood Meridian is leagues better.

If I remember correctly it took quite a bit of pages before The Kid started rollin with his homeboys scalping and monologuing and such.
Just keep reading.

It's just 300 pages of Memecrathy jerking himself off about all of the different ways and synonyms he can describe Mexico's terrain with. It doesn't do anything in terms of the moral themes that other books haven't done much better and with more focus.

A fair point. But I don't think anyone would read NCFOM for the prose.

Perhaps...I might just read Underworld

I definitely feel your view.

Goddamn OP you are a massive faggot if you can't appreciate BM

and somehow you list no examples?

You know just as well as I do that if I were to list off the examples I have in my head, you would just arbitrarily shit on them because of an inherent dislike for my opinion.

Furthermore, you're indirectly making a fool of yourself by asserting that you don't know any other novels that cover the same thematic bases as Blood Meridian.

Read at least until the section where the apaches attack the party. If you're not interested after that I would suggest just dropping it.
I had a fairly hard time reading the book, not because it was particularly challenging, but just very dry, but I'm very glad that I did finish it and it is now one of my favorites.

You're right. It's so hard to appreciate page after page of gratuitous violence

>page after page of gratuitous violence

You mean page after page of description of "the flat salt pan" and "the sun that rose as a wan, salmon disc"

The violence was gratuitous, but it was fairly condensed infrequent from my recollection, just startling when it did occur.

Sounds like Harry Potter is more up your alley.

>And then I told him to read Harry Potter! That'll teach him to have an opinion that differs from mine! And the best part is...I was too stupid to articulate why I felt this way! hahahaha!

I can relate. The first time I tried to read CM I gave up. But then I read Blood Meridian. It's tough but worth it. Honestly, I'd like to see David Lynch adapt this into a film. I love it.

That critic who hates Dellilo and Annie Proulx hates McCarthy too. Also, a lot of plebs I know who don't read love it. And some plebs here get hard for it too.

I hear his similes are fucking absurd.

some people simply lack the requisite skills to appreciate literature, and are too ignorant to learn. Such is life.

>>They [synonym for walking][word for Mexican geographical fixture][description of the sky as sanguine][synonym for exhaustion applying to man and beast][depiction of violence against indigenous peoples][simile invoking some primal metaphysical presence that has been and always will be] he spat and rode on.

wow real geniuse

I like McCarthy and dislike DeLillo. His prose is sterile.

Like a bum selling fertilizer.

The reason that it seems that way is because McCarthy tries to portray the violent, animalistic nature of man as normal.

Ever wonder why people are shocked by a lot of the things that Trump says but still support him? Ever wonder why the media is 'outraged' by everything that Veeky Forums does and yet people still understand 'why'?

It's because that is our default state. Civilization tames us, yet our propensity for carnage comes out when there are no rules/ poorly-enforced rules.

McCarthy tries to portray our innate ruthlessness and bloodlust as the default reality that it is by normalizing the narrative. Therefore, 'Holden took a walk to the pond' has the same (lack of) gravitas as 'Holden got an innocent man lynched'.

It is a boring narrative with an relatively interesting story when you read it like an airport thriller. It's a fascinating look into human nature, war, and civilization when you think about what McCarthy is trying to say.

first act is fucking incredible, everything that follows is not good. anyone can write a good first act.

Have you read Endzone?

>I'd like to see David Lynch adapt this into a film
gggggrhhgggghh

u forgot the conjunctions

A lot of the book's gravity is about What Happens, but I also like the prose. Cormac McCarthy is the Anti-Chaucer

>BM just seems kind of repetitive and hollow
"One objection I have heard voiced to works of this kind—dealing with Texas—is the amount of gore spilled across the pages. It can not be otherwise. In order to write a realistic and true history of any part of the Southwest, one must narrate such things, even at the risk of monotony." - Robert E. Howard

The monotony of it is part of what makes it powerful. It becomes numbing.

For a more encompassing view of violence I prefer Light in August. I'm about to finish LiA and recently finished Blood Meridian.

Well I think Stephen King brought out a new book this year, you could always try that.

Why not finish the book in its entirety to have an informed opinion about it?

Me, right now, with nicholas nickleby

>
Ever wonder why people are shocked by a lot of the things that Trump says but still support him? Ever wonder why the media is 'outraged' by everything that Veeky Forums does and yet people still understand 'why'?

Please go back to r eddit

That completely contradicts the entire point of the thread you moron

You lost me at "moral themes". So you mean to say the power and beauty of a piece of prose is intertwined with the moral issues tackled by a story?

You must be one of those kids for whom literature must preach morals, good politics, and great philosophy otherwise it should not be.

Your power levels are showin', brah.

Just keep reading. It's gonna be worth it for the last 80 pages or so

a complete contradiction? how so? and please refrain from name calling.

>So you mean to say the power and beauty of a piece of prose is intertwined with the moral issues tackled by a story?
>Your power levels are showin', brah.

You sound like a freshman creative writing major

>this just seems to lack the tension/pacing

No Country for Old Men is a thriller, Blood Meridian is not.