My mom's really into reading fiction so I don't read fiction because I don't want to end up like her...

My mom's really into reading fiction so I don't read fiction because I don't want to end up like her. I only read non-fiction. Am I wrong?

Other urls found in this thread:

sparknotes.com/psychology/psych101/memory/section3.rhtml
youtu.be/y_DLxi3M9no
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yes

she does nothing with her life desu

>reading fiction
Unless she's a child, reading fiction is nothing to boast about. It's honestly quite pathetic to read fiction, because you put your brain in autopilot and does the same thing that you do when watching TV: you just absorb information and accept it. There's no critical thinking, no curious thoughts that leads to research and discovery. What does she do when she closes a book? She goes to sleep or just have daydreams about the fictional characters.

If you read nonfiction that are philosophical, I can only say that you've barely escape the ranks if your mother.

you will probably end up like her no matter what you do
genetics have doomed you

So what the fuck should we read? Or should we just splatter our brains against the wall because all books are bad except philosophy (which isnt even storytelling and doesn't even fit in the nonfiction and fiction realm of reading.)

There is nothing to do with life, if you read more fiction you'd realize that

It's not about reading fiction, user.
It's who you are as a person.
Your can read fiction and not be a total ass.

>pic related

History books, how-to's, math theory

reading fiction is not the inciting factor of your mom's problems.

So is reading for you just a way for you to tell all the qt girls at work or your family about how youu are much wiser and intelligent and knowledgeable than they are or do you actually enjoy it?

Depends. What type of fiction does your mom read?

You can try to think like the characters, think what will you do in a situation like that, take inspiration in some aspect of the book. But let me ask something. How much do you read?

i caught her reading Gone girl once

>all books are bad except philosophy
You shouldn't have such strong opinions about literature given how illiterate you are. I said IF HE READS NONFICTIONS that are philosophy, he's barely better than his mother.

Also, try reading The Universe In A Nutshell or Anatomy of An Epidemic? Science literature is literature. If it doesn't prompt you to have your own thoughts and questions, it's not good literature.
>oh I wonder what Jacob will do next to won Bella's heart! x"D

It's blasphemy not to honor your parents.

You must embrace your heritage. Do-it-yourself identity creation is for blue haired plebs.

Pretty sure that you are person who implied that all books are less than philosophy books, not me.

Literature that isn't science literature does that too, fiction and non fiction, science and fantasy, they all do this are you fucking retarded.

Im sue that somewhere in your scientific literature it was explained that living in a bubble isn't good for you, and you must be if you think twilight is still a culturally fashionable easy target

No, I read because I like learning things. Do you think I look forward to talking about the shit I've read with people around me? No, they don't give a shit and that's why I'm posting on Veeky Forums. I don't have the mindset of perpetual existence like yours. Fuck off.

Are you asking me to count the books I've read? Or the frequency that I read? I usually have a scientific book, a highlighter and a pencil in my bathroom so I can highlight and take notes while I take a shit. I listen to audiobooks of softer reads like business/financial books or self-help books.

You're wrong, but not because you're reading non-fiction. It's because you're reading it only to escape the (presumably) dull, miserable fate that your mother has dug herself into.

Read works that offer you wisdom. Catch-22 is a work of fiction, but it has plenty of wisdom in it. As do a lot of science fiction short-stories.

Or read stuff that makes you interesting. A math textbook won't, some history books will, some works of fiction will.

I assume that your mom reads airport thrillers/ romance novels. You don't have to. Read some book reviews, and buy whatever you think might be interesting or offers you something. Doesn't matter if its fiction or non-fiction.

You have ENTIRELY missed the point of my strawman, and thus my entire point. I have just given you the example of what kind of afterthought you get from reading fiction and novels. Talking about living inside bubbles, you should try the people who actually think reading the likes of Stephen King is the same as reading books.

I am asking how much you read, like hours. Because if you read non-fiction to study and you still have free time you can read fiction book to take a break.
Just because you know one idiot that read fiction it will not make you an idiot if you read fiction.

>Stephen King
>not books
Not same guy but your whole argument can be summed to you claiming your opinion is fact.
Who are you to say what is and is not worth a read? Who are you to say what is a book?
Instead of coming into a thread where someone is just asking a question which is more about personal ethics than the legitimacy of a genre and strutting around with your "higher than thou" attitude, how about you actually see things from a different perspective?
Or is understanding different viewpoints beneath you?

Read what you want dude. It only effects you negatively if you let it.

I don't know how many hours I spend on books, maybe 3-4 hours/day counting audiobook time.

I'm not saying a fictional can't be written beautifully, The Lovely Bones were one of my first favourite books. I draw the line at what is entertainment and what is real reading (read: active reading). I've had enough with 14-yo or even college-age students who claim they read a lot when they've finished the entire series of "The Host" or "Fire and Ice". It boils my blood when dumb cunts show up to a book party with dumb ass novels when everyone is pretending to be a NASA research department.

Jesus Christ your fedora is on too tight.

I'm reading Carver right now. All of his stories have made me feel and think about something other than myself. But he's fiction though, so you would have adopt a new kind of smugness to read him.

>Posting on lit because everyone thinks he's a pretentious cunt

the fuck is a book party

>Le Stephen king easy target author cuz hes famous and not Shakespeare

Heard it.

>you're just pretending to be better than us!
>y-your opinion is overly righteous
Are you telling me how to form my own opinion? It is a FACT that active reading is a better form of reading with a less dramatic forgetting curve because it's practically active recall. My opinion is that active reading are not present when one's reading a fictional work, thus wasting his time. A book you're reading only to forget about is not a real book imo

Now I understand what you think. In most cases reading fiction books only teach you how to express yourself and rarely other thinks. While is a god exercise for the brain you don’t gain much information.

[Citation needed]
Also I'm pretty sure I remember the books I've read more or less depending on the impact they had on me, instead of whether or not they were fiction.

It's a party with books and booze. You take a shot someone on Veeky Forums has shit taste.

Fuck me and my bad english...

So by the end everyone is dead?

Let me insult you by spoonfeeding you a source that is legible in your reading level.

sparknotes.com/psychology/psych101/memory/section3.rhtml

I figured that much, but do you like read? As a group activity? like down some beers and knock out a couple chapters of Hemingway with the bros?

Because that shit sounds weak as fuck

Literally none of this supports your statements.

It seems like I've misjudged your reading level. How about I break it down into emojis so that there's more pictures than words for you?

Aside from being facetious, are you just saying that because you can't find all of my buzzwords in that page? Or you just don't read, at all?

"Ineffective Encoding

The way information is encoded affects the ability to remember it. Processing information at a deeper level makes it harder to forget. If a student thinks about the meaning of the concepts in her textbook rather than just reading them, she’ll remember them better when the final exam comes around. If the information is not encoded properly—such as if the student simply skims over the textbook while paying more attention to the TV—it is more likely to be forgotten."

- from what you linked me.

This is the closest item I could see that provided empirical evidence to support your claims, and yet by what this is stating in its example you are just as likely to forget a textbook as you are a fictional novel.
Literally point out to me where in this text it supports your claims.
And no that's not spoonfeeding, it's called having the decency to cite your sources properly and not just expect everyone to know what you're talking about.

>Gone girl
You're in the right, my man. I don't blame you at all. But if you want to read fiction, just read classic book, like Don Quixote or A Clockwork Orange. Anything made before 1950.

Different guy
I don't know anything about the book but the movie was intense.

Why don't you go ask your dad?

nothing wrong with fiction

the problem is genre fiction vs literature

It depends in what fiction she reads. My mother, on the contrary. only reads nonfiction. But it is holisitic spiritual new age garbage while I read a bunch of fiction and classic philosophy.

Bloody hell. Is this an elaborate ruse or has this board officially fallen into complete philistine mediocrity?

she raised you, you ungrateful turd

Have you not been keeping up with the latest trendy booktubers, user?

youtu.be/y_DLxi3M9no
There doesn't actually seem to be a lot of reading taking place though

>because you put your brain in autopilot and does the same thing that you do when watching TV: you just absorb information and accept it.
This had nothing to do with fiction or non-fiction.

>Unless she's a child, reading fiction is nothing to boast about. It's honestly quite pathetic to read fiction, because you put your brain in autopilot and does the same thing that you do when watching TV: you just absorb information and accept it. There's no critical thinking

You know as much about literature as your average YouTube comment ranter. Stop any time.

fiction definitely exercises your imagination.

>Reading Party & Twerking

total horse shit. reading fiction is not at all comparable to watching mindless tv.

>It's honestly quite pathetic to read fiction,
This--this is exactly the kind of shit you come specifically to Veeky Forums to say, because deep inside you are completely aware that real people would just laugh in your face or roll their eyes at you.

Anonymity does not make you less stupid, user, nor does it give you the right to shit up the board.

Fiction is for women and faggots.

>he reads anything at all

Fuck off you nerdy little faggot boy.

Yeah you're right. I haven't had sex yet because 24 years ago my Dad fucked my Mom and i don't want to end up having sex with her.

What is allegory

Yes. Pic related.

And don't listen to this faggot:

All non-fiction is fiction. Think about it.

Spooked

thats a joke list

Whoa, so deep, mang.

Just read whatever the fuck you want.

I wanna fuck her mouth so hard

This sounds like it came from John Green.

Reading fiction is a waste of time to be honest.

No self respecting adult should read fiction.

Dude, I heard Hitler breathed. You don't wanna be like Hitler do you?