Books will you never understand the circlejerk over

Books will you never understand the circlejerk over.

/r/books might be more your speed

Agreed but only particular to Veeky Forums. It isn't typical meme fare

It's really short and the prose is straightforward as hell. I guess maybe it's the historical aspect of it?

Stoner was great.

White Noise, is Underworld better?

Underworld is better, Libra is better, Ratner's Star is better, Mao II is better

Thanks, the theme of death and the fear of it was so hamfisted that it just got ridiculous by the end.

Atleast you didn't call it racist.

Well it is, but that didn't bother me.

you sound like the sort of guy that will understand the circlejerk around john green OP, you will find a supporting community for your kind at /r/books

I read stoner in one sitting at high school. Essential /beautifuldepression/

Whatever you like that I don't like.

Literally muh literature

while I didn't really enjoy it, I can see why people do. The prose is simple but the whole "perfected tale" internal narrative is kinda interesting, and the ending is actually pretty good theme wise. That being said its heavy handed as fuck and he actually says "I felt like I was descending into an immense heart of darkness" MULTIPLE TIMES like a fucking corny hack

He criticized what Foucault criticized about madness before Foucault did.

>prose is straight forward as hell

you're wrong

How old were you when you read it? Seriously, I'm not condescending or anything. I'm 22 and read it earlier this year. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been able to appreciate it as much if I were 17 or 18.

If it was even remotely complex for you, you need to read more. English was Conrad's third language, and it shows.

are you serious? he basically writes "IM GONNA USE A METAPHOR NOW GUYS"

The prose is NOT straightforward as hell. Sure, he may not be making up words like Joyce. But the complexity of his syntax is sometimes akin to Melville.
"The room seemed to have grown darker, as if all the sad light of the cloudy evening had taken refuge on her forehead; this fair hair, this pale visage, this pure brow, seemed surrounded by an ashy halo from which the dark eyes looked out at me."
That is one beautiful, incredible, complicated sentence right there.

Original commentator here.