Did your parents encourage you to learn to cook Veeky Forums?

And if not, how did you get started?

>do some research online
>realize i could save money by making my own food instead of eating out 3x a week
>suck horribly for a month
>eventually food gets tolerable
>get confident enough to cook for other people
>cooked for my best friends wedding last weekend and had people complimenting my dishes

I honestly wished I learned sooner

Never anything that took any real skill. The most that my mom really taught me was making extremely basic shit like spaghetti that isn't that great, and how to make eggs. She can actually cook but never does. I can't recall ever seeing her bake a cake or anything like that. The most that I can recall is her making a roast and making some really bland potatoes with it.

Mom can cook. However, she is impatient which makes for a terrible learning environment. Basically, I will never learn her recipes because she doesn't wish to teach them.

My father thought grilling a hotdog was the height of cooking so that is about all I was taught.

My parents lived off Nutrisystem and I didn't know how to work the oven until I was 22

>my mom never let me cook
>During cooking no one but her was allowed in the kitchen
>Had to sneak in at night and experiment
>It's all terrible. Experimenting with adding refried beans to ramen, marinating ribs in orange juice and salt.
>Later on down the line
>Bitches love guys who can cook
>Try to learn how to cook for gf
>Food Network!
>Follow recipes
>Get better
>Move out of parents home
>Extreme poor fag
>Can't buy food Network recipes anymore
>Learn how to cook shit on a budget
>Learn more about cooking than ever
>Now I'm cooking for my family and do the food budget. The wife loves the cooking
>It all turned out, fuck you mom.

Mom is one of those i never measure i know how much enough is cooks. Shes great but she got upset when i asked questions about measurements so she never taught me anything.

I didn't learn to cook until i was a dishwasher for a few months and they asked if i wanted to try my hand at line. Worked up from there and learned everything i know.

Mom is a traditional woman that cooks breakfast and lunch at sam time in morning for her husband. Sisters are new age so they dodnt care to learn. Saw sisters as example for all girls and mom thought it be wise to teach me to cook so if i ever married a new age cunt i would at least it good. Now as an adult, wife doesnt mind cooking, but she really fucking sucks at it, like really bad, pretend to like it, and cook for myself when shes not around

your grammar is bad

im too drunk to try and understand

I love drunk surfing Veeky Forums too friend

>im too drunk to try and understand
That's more the culprit than the grammar.

No. Didn't have the money and neither of my parents can cook, and they divorced so neither of them had the time to teach me.

I got into it later in life after working with food in my job at a grocery store meat department. I got curious and wanted to experiment, one of the best decisions I've made. Nothing beats awesome homecooked food and it easily impresses company.

I like it enough to almost want to become a chef but I hear it's a soul crushing career and I'm not good with stress, so I'll stick to jacking off at home with my 5 star dindins.

>had to sneak in and experiment

Same here, my dad is a great cook but a horrible teacher. He was always hovering over me while i was trying to cook and insisted on sampling my dishes

"you did it all wrong, im not sure if this is your thing"

Stopped cooking til i moved out and now im about six months in

Im too drunk to grammar correcrly

feels good man

eating these as well

As a father this infuriates me. I would never tell my son that something may not be for him. I don't think anyone should be made to feel limited. It's that mentality that made me feel like I could accomplish nothing from my own parents.
I'm sorry man, in part parents teach us what not to be.

No, and I'm a pretty good self taught cook. My mom's friend told me she withholds praise so I don't get an ego. I'm fucking 28 she doesn't need to play those mind games.

Anyway I started as a Veeky Forumsizen making garbage chicken and rice dishes. I eventually discovered Americas test kitchen and became a better cook. I also got less interested in Veeky Forums hobbies as injuries started piling up and so needed to fill the void, so I got deep into food and cooking.

Couldn't*

I learned basic shit in cooking class in 7th and 8th grade. My mom barely encouraged me to cook, but also deterred me from cooking at the same time she was because I always got in her way. I didn't care enough to try cooking by myself until I had to in my 3rd year of college, but surprisingly I picked up a lot of intuition without really practicing any skills all that much. My friends would do dumb shit like overcook pasta but I was able to make basic stuff for survival right off the bat. As time passed I just practiced with online recipes and now I'm pretty decent, probably about as good as my mom but with less experience in certain areas. Once I actually started showing an interest in cooking she enjoyed teaching me and helping me with recipe ideas, so it was just dealing with an annoying kid getting in the way while she was making dinner that was the problem.

I learned how to make basic shit like pasta with jarred sauce and frozen pierogi. They didn't know jack shit about nutrition, though, so they eventually only cooked meat for dinner (with maybe some rice) and, when I was in high school, nothing at all. I learned to cook senior year because I was sick of frozen dinner. I experimented throughout college, and now I'm a senior and the only one of my roommates that actually uses our kitchen.

College kids eat like garbage, you know. They changed the meal plans at my school to stop people from eating fast food for every meal.

>college kids eat like garbage

Ain't that the truth. When I was living in a 6-person suite, I ate healthy, but pretty much every one else didn't. One guy had a ton of sweets whenever I made dessert for the suite (I intended for them to last a week, they usually lasted 2-3 days). 2 just ate chipotle every day, 1 ate a fuckton of cereal and sausage but at least cooked food for himself, and the last one actually ate healthy foods and I helped teach him to cook basic stuff but he ate too much so he was overweight.

Most of my friends were from pretty well-off families so maybe I have a bias, but it's a shame more kids don't learn to cook. The possibilities are so much more than survival food like rice and beans.

Basically my parents never let me cook, turns out i really enjoy it

Everyone in my family was involved with meal prep, including me, from very young. I was three years old. Sadly, the tradition has not continued.

This is why i started my kids early on cooking

Learnt cooking in high school but I sucked at it. Didn't get good until I turned vegetarian and started cooking for myself pretty much daily.