What kind of spices should I stock up on for beans and rice?

What kind of spices should I stock up on for beans and rice?

Other urls found in this thread:

goya.com/english/product_subcategory/condiments/sazon-bouillon
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I fuckin douse everything in turmeric.

Make the beans with a pork fat. Bacon or preferably ham hock.

A little cumin, salt, pepper, parsley, and you're good to go. I usually add some jalepenos intot eh mix.

Salt, pepper, cumin and cardamom pods tend to be my go-tos for rice.

Tuscan-Inspired Tomato & Herb

Grabbed 4 of these last month.

spiced paprika

FUCK I meant SMOKED

>cumin instead of cayenne

>turmeric instead of cayenne

fucking what

>spiced paprika instead of cayenne

cumin is the tastiest spice
marjoram makes everything taste like meat

>spiced paprika instead of cayenne
seeI always use paprika and extra spicy cayenne.

get a bunch and mix/match depending on how you feel.
cumin, paprika, sazon, adobo, annato, turmeric, saffron, bouillon, zataar, garam masala, fennel, cilantro, etc. etc.

Smoked Paprika and Cayenne. If you put enoughbin, it almost tastes like pork. Also try adding some aromatic vegetables in it.

What kind of aromatic vegetables?

Cumin
Bastard saffron
Curry powder
Coriander
Dry parsley

I like dill and vinegar with my beans, makes them taste pickled slightly.

Pic related, pickled bean and mushroom soup.

>pickled
>soup

I'm imagining trying to eat warm pickles and it sounds kind of awful. But I'm not sure why.

Which recipe did you use, if you don't mind?

Not spices, but I'll give you some ideas

ONION, especially shallot
BAY LEAVES (fresh are very underrated)
Chicken carcasses for big batches of stock
Kombu for stock (it's super savory)
Shelf-stable stuff: sun-dried tomatoes, canned artichoke hearts, anchovies, whatever you think you would enjoy
Garlic confit (easy to make)
Duck confit (canned or make it yourself if you can find cheap duck legs, make a special cassoulet for a special occasion)
Mustard
Frozen sausages
Various vinegars
Beer
For more vitamins & minerals, young greens like baby spinach that you can literally mix in when it's time to serve

More ideas

>Start a fresh herb garden

>Learn to make tortillas

>Learn to make tasty bean purees, dip

>Try lots of different types of beans and lots of different ways of eating them
(I've had giant flat beans that we're cooked then chilled in a salad, delicious)

For the rice, I would strongly suggest buying a rice cooker as it makes your life easier. There are also tons and tons of rice dishes easily attainable: risotto, paella, stuffed peppers for example.

Just in general look at the way various cultures eat beans, take inspiration (if you can't tell from my list, I come from a very French/Italian background)

OK, fine, I will leave you with one spice:

>Piment d'Espelette

>telling a man reduced to eating beans and rice to buy fucking saffron
Yeah he should get 6 limes as well.

It's actually amazing. Try it!

2 lbs of beans (peruvian)
1 can of Kidney beans
1 can of red or white beans
1-2 cans of diced tomatoes
1 carrot, chopped
1 onion chopped up
6-8oz of diced mushrooms

4 tbs of chili pepper powder
2 tbs salt
3 tbs dried dill (make it yourself like I do)
2 tbs curry powder

6cups of water
2oz lemon juice
3oz apple cider or red balsamic vinegar
2oz of stone ground mustard

Cook that shit up low and slow, put the onions and mushrooms in last or you wont like the texture.

Onion, shallot, garlic, carrot, celery, pepper, okra, chilli.

He can get bastard saffron. I think it's safflower, but I don't really remember. Gives a nice yellow colour and an earthy taste. It's cheap as all hell.

>6 limes
Yeah, if they are 10 for a dollar like they are here.

Get WHOLE cumin. Fry it when you fry your onions and garlic.

cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne, ancho chipotle powder, bay leaves, old bay seasoning

tomato paste

>What kind of spices should I stock up on for beans and rice?
Sazon Goya has a few flavors of various latino or caribbean recipes. Think of it like a knorr cube, but with the cumin, saffron, oregano or whatever the flavor profile is for that island or region. It also has MSG :/ Anyway, just so you know about it if you're lazy mode.
goya.com/english/product_subcategory/condiments/sazon-bouillon
• Sazón with Coriander and Annatto
• Sazón with Azafrán
• Sazón with Tomato and Coriander
• Sazón with Garlic and Onion
• Sazón-It
• Sazón Natural and Complete

I like to have Badia saffron, which will make about 4-6 large family dinners in the little plastic spice pack, and keeps for a long time. I like bay leaves, just 1 or 2 for the pot of beans if you'll simmer a while. I'll rub chicken with garlic and hungarian paprika with olive oil and lemon juice, and after browning skin-on, bone-in, there's enough flavor for a rice casserole around it. Outside of those three spices, everything else I use is fresh. Onions, garlic, canned or fresh tomatoes or paste, salt, pepper, sometimes stock (or brown meat nicely). Sometimes there's bell peppers, or celery. Sometimes dried or fresh chilies. Puerto Ricans will make a "sofrito" and keep it in the fridge, using a couple of Tbsps for the daily rice and beans recipe.

John is that you?

Coconut milk and raisins. Make colombian style coconut rice.

Hey guys speaking of spices I was hoping for some advice, whenever I make chili I have to use a shit load of cumin, like 15g. Am I doing something wrong with how I add the spice? Or is it just shit quality cumin?

i put peppercorns and cardamom pods in with the beans and then put a lot of coriander on it, paprika is nice too

Either get a big thing of minced garlic. Or garlic powder

Onion powder

Chili powder

Ancho chili

Cayenee

Comino

Fish sauce ( it's just like salt but less sodium and gives more flavor and is cheap)

Smoked paprika

Carrots are cheap and make a good addition I just got a julianne slicer for them and it works out great like 6 bucks on amazon.

Also just stock up when meats are really cheap near you

Beans and rice work well with a lot most of my selection is Mexican food based but that's where beans and rice shine.

Also sausage if you can find it cheap.

>Hey guys speaking of spices I was hoping for some advice, whenever I make chili I have to use a shit load of cumin, like 15g. Am I doing something wrong with how I add the spice? Or is it just shit quality cumin?
I have had some pretty old cumin in my lifetime, not sure why you need to use that much. I don't think it loses a lot of pungency. There should be less cumin than chili powder, about 25% of the chili powder. Cumin could be toasted a bit btw, which is what you'd do in an Indian dish. So when you saute your onion at the beginning, add the cumin then to warm in the oil a moment.

Post your recipe? I bet there's some balance missing here. Basic chili con carne should have onion, garlic, bell pepper, chili powder (or dried chilies reconstituted and blended), cumin, salt, pepper, canned tomatoes. Browning the meat increases flavor. I use only enough liquid to cover, and not a speck more. The beans if they're canned, I also drain.

where's the rice, user?

There's this chicken and tomato bouillon I used to buy. I can't remember the brand but the label is in Spanish. I got it from Walmart and I remember there being a chicken on it.

If you fry your uncooked rice with onions and bell peppers and then add a few spoonfuls of the bouillon when you add the water and cook it, you end up with something that tastes pretty similar to the rice you get at Mexican restaurants.

I fucking love pinto beans with cumin and chili powder. It's better with bacon or salty pork but bacon is $5 here and that isn't worth it for the amount in one package.

If you want to go with a sort of bastard red beans and rice you could get some Cajun seasoning and smoked sausage. The sausage is usually only a couple of dollars and you could use it with green cabbage too. Cabbage is usually only 70 cents a pound and you get a shitload out of one head.

Nutritionally sparse. I'll eat brown rice occasionally.

Hey man sorry for the late reply, I'm a bit new when it comes to cooking plus chili isn't widely consumed in nz, I also have to make it mild for my family. But basically saute onion and garlic, add mince and brown, then add canned tomatoes and bayo beans which are basically mushed with no liquid in the can, add like two shakes of a chili powder shaker and cayenne. Add a little dried coriander and the aforementioned cumin, I find its quite bland unless I add that much then simmer, oh also add salt and pepper.