What are Veeky Forums's opinions on the dangers of big solar CME's and why nothing is being done to protect our...

What are Veeky Forums's opinions on the dangers of big solar CME's and why nothing is being done to protect our infrastructure from it?

microgridmedia.com/grid-will-not-survive-geomagnetic-storm-or-emp-attack/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_storm_of_1859

>There is a 12 percent chance of a super solar storm the size of the Carrington event hitting Earth in the next 10 years, according to physicist Pete Riley, who published a paper in the journal Space Weather earlier this year on the topic.
phys.org/news/2014-07-earth-survived-near-miss-solar-storm.html

Other urls found in this thread:

sciencenordic.com/sun-can-emit-superflares-every-1000-years
youtube.com/watch?v=VVgUZv9ccyQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Anyone?

It would be bad if it hit something like a nuclear power plant.

I've lived through hurricanes and the proceeding two weeks of no electricity.

I think people are frightened by this because the electrical grid will be down where the CME hits hardest. If you are really worried, just keep extra food, water and some way to boil water with gas or propane.

>"..big enough to "knock modern civilization back to the 18th century," NASA said.
That's a euphemism because they conceal the existence of nuclear installations. A few will fukushima within a week and not a single one will survive going 'island' for more than a month.

How much you want to bet they actually have contingency plans for such things to prevent meltdown?

CMEs have do not affect nuclear power plants.

No, they have a probabilistic risk assessment. Such a scenario is excluded because there is no possible remedy with current designs. The only contingency plan is the Nationwide Sacrifice Zone.
Self-calming illusions based on technical ignorance do not help here.

If you're so sure how do they affect nuclear plants?

>solar storm the size of the Carrington event

sciencenordic.com/sun-can-emit-superflares-every-1000-years
>superflares--100 times the size of a Carrington Storm

make up your mind already

The 12% number was for the sizes equal to and larger than the carrington event. The "superflares" only would obviously be rarer. Not even sure what you're trying to say with that statement.

only god knows how many cables are in a nuclear plant

>giving telegraph operators electric shocks.[12] Telegraph pylons threw sparks.

point is that they don't have a clue about how big, when, why, and what will be the damage
they are good at random numbers and muh chances
12% means 88% that nothing happen, so they'll call it a victory of their prediction? bullshit
but muh rings told me...
bullshit
record 3 superflares with modern instruments, than we talk numbers

If you're going to be a fucking retard and not read any of the sources linked, just leave the thread.

CMEs don't just melt all cables. A geomagnetic storm induces currents in huge conductors like power grids, telegraph wires and pipelines. Small electronics like the wiring in a nuclear plant are not affected because they don't enclose much magnetic flux. Unless they are in space nuclear plants will be fine. The only problems that may occur are loss of mains electricity for which they have generators to run the cooling after the reactor has been shut down.

As suspected you don't know what you're talking about. Please take your ignorant scaremongering elsewhere.

I'm sure if the experts with PhD in NASA and some other countries would take it seriously and take measures if they thought this was a noteworthy threat.

The problem is to do anything about it you would need massive upgrades in the electric infrastructure, and the power companies are lobbying heavily against that to save money, and since politicians are mostly retards, nothing is being done.

>CMEs have do not affect nuclear power plants.
All nuke plants need electricity to operate without melting down.
Coolant pumps, control rod actuators, tons of sensor and control systems.
I HOPE there's enough of a Faraday cage design to keep most things safe.
But the basic problem at Chernobyl began with a simulated power outage. [shitstorm incoming]

They have back up generators.

which will probably fail

so did Fukushima

Because they flooded. Geomagnetic storms don't cause tsunamis and lessons have been learnt.

Generators and small equipment are unaffected. Please don't talk out your ass.

youtube.com/watch?v=VVgUZv9ccyQ

Can someone who actually knows a bit about CMES watch this video and tell me if this guy knows what he's talking about or if he's full of shit?