What the fuck, Veeky Forums? Is this book just jibberish or am I a poor reader? Why did you recommend me this...

What the fuck, Veeky Forums? Is this book just jibberish or am I a poor reader? Why did you recommend me this? Even /jp/ has better taste.

You're a poor reader.

;_;

It's pretty clear what all of the words in the book mean, IMO.

If you can't handle Pynchon's most accessible work there is no hope for you moving beyond your larval pleb stage.

its hilarious and masterful
what exactly are you confused about?

Vineland is more accessible

You're supposed to read it like manga. Back and to the left.

Stick with Japanese Cartoons, user: you are a piss-poor reader.

Its the obtuse grammar and sentence fragments, which I assume are non-sequitur comedy and I should take less seriously.

>"it took her until Huntley and Brinkly to remember that last year... there had come this long-distance call.... by a voice beginning in heavy Slavic tones as secondary secretary at the Transl-vanian Consulate, looking for an escaped bat; modulated to comic-Negro...; then then a gestapo officer..."
Are these isolated events, or is she implying the call Pierce gave her regarding his will was initially a bizarre prank call with different impressions? She was trying to recall unusual moments in her life earlier. Did she actually meet a gestapo, as a separate memory, or is this still a part of the prank call?
>"it took her until Huntley and Brinkly"
These are Scientific American authors right, so by the time she remembered reading an issue of Scientific American last year, she then remembered an unrelated prank phonecall? I think I get this now.

"Pierce Inverarity... once lost two million collars"
What? Is this a joke from the author? Is this a typo? "dollars"? Is Pierce just silly and lose his shirts a whole lot?

"...a hotel room in Mazatlan whose door had just been slammed, it seemed forever, waking up two hundred birds..."
What took forever here? Is the scene literally taking forever, maybe the narrator fixating on this moment more than others? Does the door literally slam forever?

I understand the general story, but vague lines like these are common enough that I have to reread every page a few times over.

A russian nigger gestapo called her to deliver the news. How is this hard to understand?

Pynchon is just wacky dude, just toke a huge joint, sit back, relax, and enjoy the hijinks. Things are about to get silly.

Collars is a typo. I've seen it like this in more than one digital version and you're clearly reading a botched one.

>decide to into Pynchon
>go to book store and pick up this book
>read first sentence
>that long ass, jumbled, confused mess of a sentence

get memed to death. it's still on my shelf unread.

It's mostly gibberish honestly.

FYI, Harold Bloom said he didn't understand any of it on his first read.

It takes a minimum of two reads to appreciate, partly because of the style but mostly because of its structure.

I tried V. instead and the grammar is atrocious.

>"Since his discharge from the Navy, Profane had been road-laboring and when there wasn't work just traveling, up and down like a yo-yo; and this had been going on for a year and a half."

Is he retarded or just a huge troll?

>if the book is hard, it's bad
Are you fucking retarded? If you can't understand it, take it as an opportunity to increase your understanding.

>he retarded
50% correct, just change the subject of this statement

rekt

>i didn't like/understand it
>something must be wrong with people who do and recommend it
maybe you're simply not mature enough to comprehend it yet. reread in a year or two.

funny how we see this a lot here. instead of studying the work and investigating outside sources, they post how they disliked a work and people who liked it have either poor taste or are untrustworthy.

I wouldn't say the book is "jibberish." Anyone with a high school education can read and understand the book.
But the book itself? Boring as fuck.

Pynchon is like a fancy restaurant that everyone recommends and saying it's high class. You finally afford to go to it and the waiter gives you steaming pile of shit. If you complain then everyone talks about how your tastebuds can't appreciate the rich shit flavors.

do not smoke weed and read Pynchon, it is a meme. weed will not give you magical comprehension powers.

Holy shit dude, that book is light af. Most people can get through the whole thing in a day or two.

Are you unironically 12?

>tfw 20 years old
>but only ironically

Did you forget that age is a social construct, you cis pig

The book is very underwhelming and void of meaning

It's thw only book of his he isn't a fan of

It's probably his tightest novel with the most unified meaning
You're a moron, it's okay user
Keep misquoting that line from Slow Learner where he talks about narrative precision ( the storytelling lessons which he continued to 'forget' for the rest of his career )

Love that pepe-esque grin

>retard doesn't get basic pynchin
I guess other boards are just way too fucking retarded like, mentally deficient. Yet you all have an IQ of 145 lmao