I got a gift card for my birthday for amazon for 25 bucks from one of my relatives...

I got a gift card for my birthday for amazon for 25 bucks from one of my relatives. I was thinking about getting these books. My one concern, is that while I want a deep and meaningful experience, some of these books will be unreadable. Is there anything you would substitute these with if you are looking for something extremely meaningful, but still readable from cover to cover?

If Zarathustra is your first Nietzsche, switch it out for The Gay Science.

Yeah get:
Frege
Russell
Quine
Kripke
Putnam
Searle

I reckon that's a good starter selection.

Don't waste your neetbux on writing that has no meaning

okay, thank you.

I'm not familiar with these authors. Do you recommend anything by them?

Most of their best stuff is in journals so get a few compilations.

Get the Tractatus, history of Western philosophy, principia Mathematica, and naming and necessity and then pirate all the books and essays that get mentioned in the texts.

WV Quine - Quintessence.

I second this. Beyond Good and Evil is also a fine choice.

Don't listen to this analytical heretic. The books in OP are however, trash.

If you're just getting into wilde, dostoevsky, camus, and fucking orwell now then you have absolutely no chance with lispector, try again later.

which ones would you recommend instead?

this is what I finally ended up getting.

You well and truly got meme'd, chap.

>removing notes from underground

what do you mean?

should have just bought toilet paper w/ the giftcard desu

what the fuck did you do that for

>removing notes and zarathustra
>keeping dorian gray and animal farm
fully fuckin stupid

well, morrissey of the smiths really likes oscar wilde, so that's why I decided to pick it up. a few people have told me to get animal farm. I dunno about philosophy books, so I decided not to really spend money on that right now. I would get the Dostoevsky one though. That one's hard as nails to read, but I still wanna try to get into him. I just want something that I can actually read, not pick up and get frustrated with and not get anything out of it.

the trick is that if you don't have to struggle to read it, you're not getting anything out of it

:^)

yeah okay, but there's a balance.

you can take dorian gray and animal farm out of literally any library and read them in an hour or two, they are short and they are everywhere, and (especially animal farm) you will probably not want to read them again any time soon, even if you do like them

philosophy books you'll want to own, come back to over time etc. much better way to spend your money

I don't really follow you.

>notes from undergound too hard
>keeps lispector
kek

animal farm takes 1 hour to read
dorian gray maybe 2

they are also readily available pretty much everywhere, easy to find online, easy to find in any library
they are also, i will argue, pretty simplistic texts, nothing you will probably be impelled to reread very often

in my opinion you would have been better off buying the denser books you may not be able to find around any corner and which you will actually want to spend some time with and reread

I have a friend who keeps gushing over lispector, so yeah I'm gonna pick it up. I read heavy books, I read the metamorphosis in 1 day and I get it and it wasn't terribly hard. It's just some books, for inexplicable obscure reasons, I have a harder time reading.

that's a pretty good idea. I got dorian grey for 3 bucks, so that's a gimme. My parents probably own a copy of animal farm, I can just stop over at their house and get it. So, yeah I did cancel animal farm. This is good advice, I will try to get that Dostoevsky book instead.

>notes from the underground
>hard as nails to read,

w-what???

the entire first and second chapter is a dude incoherently rambling.

notes from the underground is pretty short & simple too though, (like ~70 pages?)

if you're interested in dostoyevsky you could probably get crime and punishment or brothers karamazov for the same price as the edition you were peeping

WHAAAAUUUUUAAARRARAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

HUUUUUUUUUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARWHAAAAAAAAA

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

bump