I'm about to put $500 in the Vanguard 500 for the first time

AMA

are you such a cuck that you need validation for your crypto investments?

you are trying to put 500$ in an index? are you brainlet?
vanguard 500 is not crypto

I've never invested before but have heard that Index's are safe

Safer than crypto for sure. Really boring though

>Doesn't know what Vanguard is
>Posting on /biz

Never change Veeky Forums. Best free entertainment ever.

what kinds of gains are you waiting from an index with 500$ your grandchildren will appreciate it tho

biz is crypto only board. stockfags are not allowed

LOL

what coin is that

What do I do with my money then?

buy some shitcoins. it is the only solution

do you drive a Volkswagen?

Fuck off; I want to invest in something smart

with 500 dollars smart investments make you jack shit

put 250 in nano, and put 250 in btc. its not as risky as you think it is. that 500 wont ever amount to much with index funds.

500 is just a start. I would be investing more in each week

You did good OP but I'd still recommend making a purchase of cryptocurrency, the easiest way is to buy one of the crypto indices, C20 is probably the best one available right now. I'd also recommend gold and silver. Really if you want to stay safe here is how I'd allocate in each area

19% VFINX500
19% BTC
19% C20
19% Silver
19% Gold
5% Cash
plus max out 401k contributions and keep a cash buffer for emergencies

If you plug all 5 of them into a spreadsheet and pull realtime prices from APIs (commonly available) and then allocate the respected 20% weighting to everything then you can do a rebalancing strategy wherein if an asset appreciates or depreciates by X amount (I tend to do 25% of the assets allocation so 4.75% for assets and 1.25% for cash in this above examples case) you sell the profits back into cash (this is the reason for the 5% allocation to fiat) or add to positions that have depreciated. Its very difficult to lose money like this although you'll likely find yourself adding a lot to your VFINX500 holdings due to its meager performance.

In a vanguard fund you can hope for 5% gains per year.

Whats 5% of 500 dollars? Ill let you do the math.
By the way If you use an online broker like etrade or similar you're going to pay a 5 dollar commission just for buying. And another 5 for selling. Congrats, commissions have eaten up half of the gains you will make this year

How did you survive being aborted?

okay OP don't listen to these faggots, Vanguard kicks ass. You can trade their index funds for free and they have the lowest expense ratios in the industry. But the S&P? Meh have a look at trading around a extended duration treasuries. find the indicator that works and keep trading around a core position as a game, keep trying to build a bigger position. The fact that Vanguard ETFs are free for their users can give you an advantage considering you are trading small amounts.

why do you enjoy poverty so much?

vanguards are not the sexiest investment but pretty safe. like 14 percet of my portfio is etfs.

Why bully?

Since everyone here seems to hate the idea; would investing a certain amount each week be better? Or an Index funds really only for already millionaires?

I have like 5k I can throw in a Vanguard IRA. If I do so, I get $800 on my tax returns (instead of owing $150). Is this a good idea?

Pls no bullying, I fell for the grad school meme and get paid barely anything. Also, not buying crypto. I built a mining rig for that and have a decent sized stack to play with that the IRS doesn't know about.

bump