Now you can order it on the rocks and still be neat

now you can order it on the rocks and still be neat.

or just serve in a chilled stainless steel cup

much easier to swallow

isnt that what whiskey stones are for

>now

What did he mean by this

>not leaving you decanter by an open window after the sun goes down so your beverage is nice and chilled by the time you have your evening drink

>now

Welcome to 2004.

The metal whiskey stones with subzero freezing phase change materials (same stuff they use for ice cream makers) are relatively recent.

Stainless steel? Chromium is carcinogenic.

I just put the bottle in the freezer.

you're welcome

>live in florida
>beverage just gets warmer

can't even do that most places up north right now either

do they sink or float?

This is fucking stupid, people drink on the rocks because a little bit of fresh water "wakes up" the flavor in certain drinks.

So is ethanol, and that stuff makes its way into your liver by the mouthful.

80 proof is already 60% water by volume. Why would you need ever more water on top of your water?

Hexavalent chromium, not metallic.

holy fuck no, don't do this.

You are 16

Because some people can't handle the alcohol burn or they can't taste all the complexities. Also, it doesn't mean it's 60% water, it just means 60% isn't alcohol.

>CAN'T HANDLE
Sorry anyone who uses this phrase in the context of food or drink is a total neckbeard

Didn't even read the thread, don't give a shit, spare me

Forcing yourself to choke down something that needs to be "handled" is not a sign of maturity, when you grow up you'll understand

erin plz go

Huh, I didn't know such a thing exists. I like to do drink really shitty bourbon on the rocks, should I consider getting some of these or is it a meme?

kek

baby doesn't like the fire drink

You're the one who thinks it needs to be "handled", baby

Try thinking of something you genuinely like for a second, and ask yourself if you need to HANDLE it

See why others are calling you out now?

You're not fooling anyone, neckbeard

If you don't like liquor, drink something else

I don't really get who is buying this. If you want to drink a nice whisky one would assume you do it for the taste and the colder the less you can taste. So I guess this would be for people that want to drink undiluted whisky they can't taste so much. In a store exclusively for alcohol related stuff this it would be next to the cash register with the other meme stuff.

these ice substitutes suck dick
there's barely any fucking material in the world that has as high of a heat capacity as water

and that's ignoring the energy that goes into the phase change

Eh, if it's a higher proof scotch and you want to open up the flavor a bit, a super small dash of water is more effective than a temperature change, imo. Take like a super peaty one like Laphroaig Cask Strength for example. Dash of water softens the heavy bite and peat to let out more smoke and oak, even the nose of it gets more full.

>not just walking out to the stream and plucking a few choice pebbles to put in your glass
>not looking out over the moors and remembering the horrible things youve done and the price that came with them

And you people think your living...

They don't work very well and neither will the metal ones. The reason ice cools things down so much is that mixing two liquids together very efficiently brings them to their mean temperature, just putting some cold rocks means that only the liquid that's immediately touching the stones will cool, and it won't be fast.

>rakt

this. still thousand times less retarded than going around with fucking metal cubes/balls in your whiskey glass.

Just get a freezer capable of reaching like -40 F and then you can freeze whiskey into cubes.

yea, fuck it. i didnt need those front teeth anyway.

There are water mixtures with significantly lower freezing temperatures than water though.

A bit lower than that. You will just get a small crust of water ice containing a higher concentration ethanol mixture unless you bring it all the way down to near the freezing point of pure ethanol.

Is there such a freezer that could reach-40 ?

Do you just slam back glasses while your lips are in a weird snarl or something?

when I visited a biotech company for my uni project they had a freezer which could reach below a hundred degrees celsius

That's very cold. It's not a walk in freezer is it?

Yeah, I can make one at home if i have a supply of liquid nitrogen, in fact it would be able to reach negative 200 degrees

since space is completely cold couldn't they just bring that down when they come back for free cold

No, it was basically like a regular freezer, except bulkier. It's needed so all their bacteria strains and synthetic antibodies don't degrade.

>space
>cold

i would drink through my teeth to avoid swallowing a hunk of metal

choking hazard

>There are water mixtures with significantly lower freezing temperatures than water though
Why is this relevant?

Whiskey usually isn't served to those below three years of age.

Why don't you put the bourbon in the freezer?

when you've drank 10 glasses of whiskey your ability to not choke on metal objects in your whiskey diminishes

Whisky is shitty tasting anyway, why not drink something that doesn't suck?

Strange paranoia about it freeze-distilling, I assume. But unless you have some sort of mega-freezer that should be a non-issue.

Wrong.

Ice works so well because it takes a lot of energy to melt.

>dropping metal into glass

this

it takes about as much energy to go from 0c ice to 0c water as it takes to then boil the water

Cant help but interject. but the phrase occurs when someone "Can't handle their sauce".

handling the burn is a matter of addiction, nothing less.

neat means you want it at room temperature.

The chromium forms a passive oxide layer on the steel, which is basically what makes it stainless. You consume no chromium when you use stainless steel cookware or utensils. 316 and 308 (or was it 309?) are considered food grade largely because of their resistance to corrosion from acidic substances.

just put the bourbon in the freezer for a few hours

>Whiskey usually isn't served to those below three years of age.
Maybe not in your house but here in the south we know how to par-tay!

will these really stick to your tongue like a metal pole in winter?

Hi KenM

I prefer vodka/rocks.

You lips are much better suited to that task, user.

>chilled whisky

Well this is not how you're supposed to drink whiskey you fucking retard. If you want to introduce water to whiskey the water has to be the same exact one used during the process of distillation.

>KYS and learn to drink like a man you pathetic cuck

are you sure? google just told me these stay cold for HOURS.

are you sure having these inside you drink for HOURS isnt better than having ice cubes melt in under 20 minutes?

I mean, how do you even say that, but, dont these metal thingies store more "negative heat" SHUT UP AND SUCK MY DICK YOU KNOW PRECISELY WHAT I MEAN BY THAT YOU AUTISTIC PHYSICS UNDERGRAD

>dont these metal thingies store more "negative heat"
Not if they've been in the same freezer as the ice.

>Leave drink outside
>goes from frozen to 34c in 15 mins

No thanks frozenfag

>proof

>hurrr we measure the percentage and multiply it by 2, just because.

The term proof dates back to 16th century England, when spirits were taxed at different rates depending on their alcohol content. Spirits were tested by soaking a pellet of gunpowder in them. If the gunpowder could still burn, the spirits were rated above proof and taxed at a higher rate.[1] Gunpowder would not burn in rum that contained less than 57.15% ABV. Therefore, rum that contained this percentage of alcohol was defined to have 100 degrees proof.[2] The gunpowder test was officially replaced by a specific-gravity test in 1816.[1]

From the 18th century until 1 January 1980, the UK measured alcohol content by proof spirit, defined as spirit with a gravity of 12⁄13 that of water, or 923 kg/m3, and equivalent to 57.15% ABV.[3]

The value 57.15% is very close to the fraction 4⁄7 = 0.5714. Thus, the definition amounts to declaring that 100° proof spirit has an ABV of 4⁄7. From this, it follows that to convert the ABV (expressed as a percentage standard rather than as a fraction) to degrees proof, it is only necessary to multiply by 7⁄4 = 1.75. Thus pure, 100% alcohol will have 100×(7⁄4) = 175° proof, and a spirit containing 40% ABV will have 40×(7⁄4) = 70° proof.

There now you can stop being stupid and actually learn something.

I read that Wikipedia article a while ago.

That's not how it is measured today.

There are many alcohols on shelf claiming 100 proof when it is 50%. And 170 when it is 85%.

>abv
>we measure the percentage of an arbitrary volume, just because
It should be in grams, then you know the exact amount of ethanol.

>2016
>Not using liquid nitrogen in the bottle to chill it and keep it from oxydizing.
>Not having carafes for when you need the drink to open up.
ISHYGDDT

I just googled it and space is like -453 F what the fuck are you guys on about

The fact that ice dilutes your drink is only part of the problem. The cold in and of itself is also an issue- you taste and smell things less when they're cold. If you're paying for a really great whisky or what have you, you're not getting all that you could be getting out of it if you chill it.

That said, I'm not one of those militant assholes who thinks that people should never add ice or anything. Do what you want, you paid for that drink so you should drink it however you enjoy it most.

Lol, hey Canada.

>That said, I'm not one of those militant assholes who thinks that people should never add ice or anything. Do what you want, you paid for that drink so you should drink it however you enjoy it most.

That disclaimer should apply to every thread in Veeky Forums. People here should be helping others to find new avenues of food and bev, not 'trying to be right'. It just makes me feel sorry for both the poster and the know it all.

People who only do things because they're "correct" are cancer
People who mindlessly rebel against "correct" are also cancer
Finding out what the traditions and customs are, and why they are that way, works to your benefit
Then, you can use the "why" to your advantage, without worrying about getting humiliated by the snooty french sommelier character from a 1980s steve martin comedy

Lol, you're the one projecting childish insecurities. Saying "can't handle" is not an insult, and it's quite relevant to the context of hard liquor discussion.

I "can't handle" high concentrations of liquor myself, and I'm saying that for the sake of discussion, not as a weird fedoric insult of myself.

"Projecting" doesn't work like that, when someone displays a trait, and someone else explains the trait correctly, that's the end of it

Also what is "the sake of discussion", are we talking ginjo or daiginjo or what? Can you "handle" sake? I bet you can't because it is not nigori because you are a baby who likes sweet things and I am an adult with adult taste buds, you'll learn to appreciate dry and off-dry beverages in time, kid. Nothing personnel.

t. man projecting his own childish habits