Grill cook at Outback Steakhouse

>grill cook at Outback Steakhouse
>Fifth day in a row of working 3pm to ~ 1am
Who else line cook here

Not me because i have a real job; however, the last time i got a steak at outback it was cooked perfectly as i ordered and was excellent so props to you line cook bro. I'll imagine it twas you that cooked it.

Not me, but I am a part-time dishwasher for some reason.

>twas

>real job
I feel you, it pays the bills when I'm in school.
I run the wood burning grill, so if yours was seared that wasn't me.
If we're shorthanded, I'll catch a dish shift once every few months. Chill af senpai

>fifth day in a row of working 3pm to ~ 1am

That's completely normal. Is this your first job or something?

I'm a grill cook at a university. Pretty shitty. My hours are ok but the job sucks and I do way more than I should.

Not OP but I don't think it's the amount of hours he's bitching about but instead the awkwardness it's scheduled at. Having to do your errands before work is a real bitch.

Coming in an hour or two before dinner service to make sure your station is prepped is completely normal; what are you talking about?

The post implies that he is working longer hours than his usual schedule he probably is coming in earlier than usual or staying extra late for whatever reason

i hate the phrase "make sure" idk why

Um, okay.

He meant actual errands, like in real life, you autist

how much does being a grill cook pay? i seriously have no idea.

>real life
>you autist

It's literally a thread about being a line cook. Being a line cook means working consecutive night shifts until you get enough seniority to earn a few comfy spots. That's about as real as it gets, and there's nothing autistic about it.

Also, how is doing your errands before 3 easier than doing them after 5? If I worked wage slave hours I'd just get drunk as soon as I got off work. Not having to go into work until the late afternoon gives you most of the day to do whatever you want to get done. When I worked the line and started getting morning shifts I would come home at 3 or 4, start drinking, and then fall asleep, wake up in time for dinner, then get a terrible night's sleep and have to get up early the next morning. Working nights makes much more sense.

20 to 25 seems about average here in California with ~30 being upper end

Been I'm the indrusty for over a decade now, started from dish monkey and worked my way up to K.M. and Sous Chef at different places. I can say that these hours are actually pretty mild. Up until recently i was pulling 70 hrs a week minimum, which tends to be pretty standard for higher ups in kitchens that opperate properly. I will say that outside of dishwashing, I have never worked corporate. I've made everything from $8/hr to $15/hr with neither wage exactly reflecting the intensity of the work to be done. I have always addamently refused salary as I think my time is valuable and salary positions tend to cut down my hourly wage substantially when the kitchen becomes short handed or menu changes are in store. I can say that every chef I've worked with that gained the respect of his staff did so by cooking along side of them either on the line or oversaw every service with a keen eye and guiding hand. These men, and they were all men even though some of the best people ive stood next to on stations have been women, demanded the respect of their employees by working longer and harder than any other single person in the building. It's part of it, if the chefs life is one that you desire than you can get used to long hours for more often than not low pay. Its been the people and experiences that have gotten me through more so than the monetary value gained. I've been lucky enough recently to land a gig running the grill at a high end sushi restaurant that doesn't open till 5 everyday, so my hours have been cut significantly. However, before that, I operated a kitchen with a French chef/owner at his restaurant with a seating capacity of about 45. It was just him and I in the kitchen, but we did have a dish guy. But from 9 in the morning till 11-12 at night if any prep or dishes were done they were made by either him or I. It's been the most demanding experience I've had so far, but I would do it again. We were also closed Sundays so at least we had one off day.

>being a wage cuck for pennies

You dun goofed

Nice dubs, and thanks for sharing your experience. Well-written, I had to check if it was pasta.

No problem. Just showered up and popped a vicadin so I'm just here smoking cigs and watching TV if you have any questions I can answer for you. I'm on the wind down so feel free to fire away.

>These men, and they were all men even though some of the best people ive stood next to on stations have been women, demanded the respect of their employees by working longer and harder than any other single person in the building.

Good goy, make your boss rich by working long and hard for shit pay!

dumb cuck

This reads like something an autist would write

The chef/owner i worked with was the hardest working person I've ever seen. I actually have yet to participate in a restaurant in which the owners haven't spent time on the line right next to me doing the same job. Restaurants are all cash holes. The higher end places tend to do well because their price point carries them through and eliminate food cost, but your also paying for technical skill that can take years and years of experience. Restaurants are among the top failing businesses in America. There's alot of overhead, and so many things that can go wrong. More often than not if a restaurant goes under its because the owners aren't there, participating, watching every penny and plate. Whether it's food waste, overtime, labor costs, liquor and food theft, equipment failure and maintanence, food quality, or general service it's incredibly easy to fail. Most places rake well under 40% of their revenue due to leaks in their systems. I think generally a new restaurant won't even really get into the green for the first two to three years. It's alot of investment with plenty of opportunity to hemorrhage out any profits. This becomes further problematic when considering the opening cost of these business is often excessive and most privately owned places will have silent owners who will garner profit shares for what tends to be the restaurants entire lifespan, if not bought out. Problem with this is if it does work and become successful, why would you let someone buy you out when you can kick back and make free money? I'm not saying that there aren't exceptions to these cases, where people in the know do find wild success stories. But for a chef to truly own his own place, he usually will have to take on investors, which again lowers the profit margin by as much as 3/4s. The chef owner i work for now makes 33ยข of every dollar that comes through the building, and he's there everyday. And that's after labor, liquor, food, taxes, and licences etc. get paid.

>"you smile more ever since you started cooking user"
>mfw

people like to bitch about how the industry sucks all the time but I enjoy it, long hours and all.

Same. Plus every restaurant crew is a bunch of rowdy ass heathens ready to party down at a moment's notice. The debauchery is golden.

I make about 400 dollars a week

that's actually really awful. that's what I would expect a dishwasher to get.
would you consider your job skilled labor?

Any one else work with a ton of gamblers? Whenever i go into the pantry there is someone in there checking how their bets are doing. Kinda weird for me because i never knew any gamblers growing up