Do I really need to start with the Greeks? Schopenhauer and Nietzsche are much more interesting

Do I really need to start with the Greeks? Schopenhauer and Nietzsche are much more interesting

A human being doesn't have to do anything but die.

>this girl thinks Schoppy would want to talk to her
wew

>"i'd prolly be bored i dunno lol": the review
>it's a women
I've stopped being surprised.

Is that a dyke?

this. if you do thinks you don't like to do you could as well just kill yourself

Pretty sure its a dude

how are you going to understand Nietzsche without the Greeks you dumb faggot

I'd rather live in Schopenhauer's time than share modernity with these cretins.

You must be 18 or over to use this board

>crazy ideas about medicine
>OH WOW GUISE A PHILOSOPHER FROM THE 19th CENTURY IS UNAWARE OF MODERN MEDICAL DISCOVERIES WOW

Hey genius, who do you think Schopenhauer and Nietzsche studied?

You do have to read the Republic, and your choice of two Aristotle works (Metaphysics is my top choice and the only Greek work I own physically) and then any miscellaneous dickbag you want.
Absolute minimum.

You want someone to just read the Metaphysics as their first introduction to Aristotle? That's like trying to teach someone Russian by giving them a untranslated copy of The Brothers Karamazov.

Honestly, if you just read Plato and Aristotle's Wikipedia pages you'll know pretty much everything you need to know. You can always go into more depth if you want, but I've only ever read Phaedrus and Symposium and I know a surprising amount of Plato's thought just from how much he is referenced by other philosophers. For instance, when Nietzsche is critiquing Plato he always summarizes whatever arguments that Plato makes before he dissects them.

Plato, I've found, is surprisingly unique and he thinks in a way that is unusual but very rewarding if you give him the right amount of time.

t. sophomore

The Greeks aren't particularly useful and for the most part it all boils down to them bragging about how great their dicks are. Worth a laugh though.

Kant and Plato. or just read secondary stuff on schopenhuaer which will explain why you need to read them.

You can read whatever the fuck you want to read. Alternatively you can kill yourself for being so gutless as to need approval for your shitty, irrelevant life choices from an anonymous imageboard.

Start wherever you want, but the Greeks will help you appreciate what you read.

Goethe? Kant?

Kek, is this guy a literal Marxist?

This post is absolutely horrifying.

You will not understand Nietzsche without the greeks, nor Schopenhauer without Kant.

>Nietzsche
>without starting with the greeks

What did he mean by this?

>Schopenhauer
>Nietzsche
>relevant

Derrida and Foucault are the only relevant philosophers today.

How does one start with the Greeks?

You have to live before you can die, thus your statement is false.

Plato was right about quite literally everything you cretins.

To each age their are its idiots, Schopenhauer certainly has his.

for your sake I hope this is b8

that's not hegel

>these cretins who suggest that my intellectual idol may have had faults just like other human beings

I think maybe it's because it seems like there's nowhere for philosophy left to go really after Foucault and especially after Derrida.

I tried with the Frankfurt School because someone here told me they have the same ability to critique and deconstruct but with positive end goals in mind, but I just wasn't feeling it.

>not all rainbows and cupcakes
>muh soggy knee

>faults

Don't let any group of people dictate what you read. Read what you find interesting. Fuck Veeky Forums and it's memes. Read and enjoy what you've read. Then come back to discuss books you've just read and have half the posters meme in the thread.

kant and hume, id go in this order desu

Hume>Kant>Schoeppy>

I started with Epictetus' Discourses but i can't bring myself to finish it, it's been months. 80 pages in and literally every chapter is him telling the same thing using a different animal metaphor while calling me a slave.

Schoppy isn't wrong here (just going by the cited quote)
Diseases don't exist to make our species stronger, but they do by giving us an immune system and by selecting for the physically capable
They cure homo sapiens of those too weak to survive disease
Unfortunately we have moved past this and I think the effects are beginning to show.

>He doesn't think highly of anything or anyone much except music.

Glad I'm not the only one.

That's because he was a teacher and trying to hammer the lessons into his pupils. The book wasn't written to be read, it was transcribing lectures, and lectures say the same shit a lot. Seneca touches on different points more. I still like epictetus more though.

They aren't "instituted by nature" for that purpose.