Is drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day really beneficial or just a meme?

Is drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day really beneficial or just a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/FwdqFHBaPwY
youtube.com/watch?v=OWASUMMQjj8
sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150114205703.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I just drink it a little more often than when I'm actually thirsty. But I'm not healthy.

I don't know how much water you should be drinking, but I do know that the terms "meme" and "wive's tale" are not synonymous.

I drink about a 1-1.5 gallons of water a day, fucking love water.

Never really get headaches and my complexion is immaculate.

what about "wife's son's tale"? That's anonymouse with meme's, no?

You do need a significant amount of water every day but:

1. Your body signals thirst long before it would become a problem, dehydration is not a risk in any first world country unless you're in the wilderness and didn't plan ahead. It will be painfully obvious if you reach dangerous levels of dehydration.

2. A balanced diet will provide the vast majority, if not all, of the water you need every day. Water is in a lot of foods, in varying amounts.

So generally you don't need to worry about going out of your way to drink water, but opting for water over another drink to sate your thirst is definitely good for you.

Drinking water is actually a really good way to feel "energized". If you feel tired or sluggish, a lot of the time it really is that you're under hydrated.

>water
>alcohol
Why would you ever drink anything else?

you sir are a fucking retard. Do not listen to this idiot

it's just propaganda put out by the toilet industry to make sure people wear out their toilets and have to buy news ones.

I can't wait until it becomes mandatory for people to obtain a licence to use the internet.
You're offering dangerous opinions, user.
Your body will be dehydrated to some extent long before you feel thirsty, which is why athletes are instructed to take on water at intervals when training and all training computers (watches, etc) will have programmable alerts to advise the athlete to take on water (or food).

So, yes. You definitely DO need to "go out of your way to drink water".

Glasses and cups are not the same thing. The recommendation is 8-10 CUPS per day, therefore about 2-2.5L. Standard glasses are about 500mL so actually the recommendation is 4-5 glasses per day.

That's what they want you to think. It's really propaganda put out by the gubberment to make you drink more of their mind-controlling chemicals.
>there's something in the water!

>Is drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day
>A) really beneficial, or
>B) just a meme?
A.

They are not synonymous because memes are not wives tales but it can be argued that wives tales are memes.

It is a meme. Not everyone needs the same amount of water. If you do a lot of exercise outdoors in the desert you are going to need way more water than if your a lazy fucker somewhere cool.
A good way to tell if you are drinking the right amount is your urine. It should be pale yellow. If its completely clear you are drinking too much. If its deep yellow you need to drink more.

dat fluoride

dumbest thread i have ever read

>not everyone needs the same amount of water

this.

>eat a big bowl of popcorn while watching a movie
>still feel hungry
>get up and drink a tall glass of water
>suddenly so full I can almost explode
Drinking lots of water helps you feel full so the McShill's want you to drink less so you'll think you're hungry and then get cravings for salty sugar (ie. fast food).

Drink more water.

That's actually pretty much what you should do (for most people at least). Body's pretty good at asking for what it needs, no need to force yourself to go for more.

>using outliers as an example for what ordinary people should do
Should most people be drinking gatorade all the time for those electrolytes too?

What if I get sudden strong urges to chug a fuckton of water? I drink ~64-96oz per day.

>drinking the liquid jew

you will piss more which hopefully means you'll move your fat ass around a little bit more.

Yes fucking do it. There is literally no downside you lazy fuck.

Well drinking TOO much means you can piss away valuable nutrients but it is very hard to do this. You basically need to be chugging more than a Gallon or two a day. If your piss comes out more clear than your tap you may be overdoing it. Keep going until its a faint off yellow. That's how much water you should drink a day.

Your the only retard here, newfig. You need to go out of your way to drink water if you're going to be doing lots of strenuous activity. If you're sitting around shitposting on Veeky Forums drinking as you get thirsty is fine.

>Your the only retard here
*you're

>drinking as you get thirsty is fine.
You still don't get it. >Your body will be dehydrated to some extent long before you feel thirsty

Drink bleach. Never get thirsty!

more people are dehydrated than over hydrated The 8 glasses of water meme would do them some good. I personally drink way more because of exercise.

also who the fuck gets over hydrated, it's literally painful to try to drink 2 gallons of water per day.

It's a meme. Drink when you're thirsty. Most of the shit you eat has a significant amount of water in it anyway.

>Well drinking TOO much means you can piss away valuable nutrients
Shove a cork in it, moron. Your bladder doesn't absorb nutrients.

Stop

I used to drink around 50 oz. a day but I've since gone up to a solid 3 liters and it feels really good. It's great for the way your skin looks and making you feel full so it's also excellent for cutting.

does anyone else get uncomfortably bloated when they drink water? I tend to drink it in pints and i get really bloated.

It's a meme:

youtu.be/FwdqFHBaPwY

It is a meme. Most of the stuff you eat during the day anyway like fruit and soda already have water in them.

not as beneficial as activated almonds

All of this hate for drinking water is from the coke™ shills.

>drinking soda

There is no saving you.

drink so you have light colored pee
kidney stones suck

overcomplicating something simple as drinking water

I attended US Army Ranger school. They told us if our piss wasn't clear, we weren't drinking enough water.

Just drink until you stop being thirsty
And then drink when you feel thirsty again
And maybe drink a little bit extra before bed so you don't wake up too thirsty

This is such a basic thing that I'm starting to think there are people out there who lack the capacity to feel thirst

I can support this. If I don't drink water, I'll feel tired as shit, even if I'm not thirsty at all.

Water is YUMMY. If you drink less than 8 glasses a day your bully was right.

Also plain hot water sounds sad but it's a really nice cure from certain headaches. Something about how neck veins work. So tea form won't do.

Jesus christ, this guy is annoying as fuck.
And his scaremongering about overhydration is just as bad corporate scaremongering about dehydration.

>Comparing career athletes practicing all day outside to the general public who OP clearly is

You can seriously go each day drinking one glass of water and never even notice any issues regarding dehydration unless you have a hard labor or atheletics based career in which case it should be obvious that you want more.

I attended the Navy Seals Seal School and they told us that drinking water is bad for you and to enjoy a refreshing Coca-Cola(TM) instead

Excess water will make your blood vessels work harder, meaning brighter head and healthier life on the whole.
BUT if you water has a lot of limestone, you WILL fuck up your kidneys.

Agreed. I felt in the dumps every morning until I found out that I was slightly dehydrated. now a couple glasses at morning and it's all good

You're a riot.

RIP 14-91, Ranger 1-92. Pic related, my boy holding my class leader certificate.

>that guy who brings his stint in the military into every fucking discussion
no one cares that you made a dumb choice

Navy Seal user here

I would fuck your son's cute little mouth

t. Navy Seal

Sorry I fucked your girlfriend.

>says the guy from the US army
>the organisation notorious for having their wives sleep around while on deployment

No

We provide him with toothpicks already.

I am literally masturbating to that picture of your child as we speak and have saved it for further use. Thanks my man.

Is /b/ too crowded today or what?

Nursefag here.
Unless you're sweating like a pig it's probably too much.
Too much water will in the long run damage your kidney's.

Just drink when you're thirsty; a healthy body can regulate it just fine.

>Too much water will in the long run damage your kidney's

No. That is far from correct, you poorly educated nincompoop. The only way that would be true is if you deluged yourself with water.

>nurse
Opinion discarded. Geneticist here OP. You want to be lacing your water with restriction enzymes and custom coded DNA to turn you into a superhuman. Any other answer is literally retarded.

I also was a Navy Seal so trust me I know what I'm talking about.

I apologise for the wayward apostrophe, but overhydration, longterm, definitely damages the kidneys, yes.
I'll be happy to compare educations with you on this matter, though.

For the sake of washing out waste you want to piss about a liter a day. For an average person that's three "full" bladders.

Unless you are brain damaged, septic, or very old you most likely don't need to force yourself to drink more than you feel like.

>I'll be happy to compare educations with you
You wouldn't come out on top, little BSN.

Don't leave us hanging; let's hear what makes you such an authority on hydration of all things.

8-10 glassses a day? That's just too much. Try 1 glass for every 3 days.

If I posted my credentials, you and everyone else would be up in arms, crying, "OMG, faker!"

I'm a microbiologist.

how much are the water companies paying you to shill water?

Drink distilled water. It's been fucking hot, I like to squeeze half a lime into the glass, fill it with ice cubes I've frozen from distilled water, then fill the glass with cold distilled water.

Unless you're one of those psychos who drinks water constantly out of a phobia of some kind and overwhelms your internal workings it's not going to be a problem. Water is good for you.

Not after an argument, that's just what I do. Avoid soda pop altogether. Don't get me started on "energy drinks". Just plain water, you can't get more plain than distilled water... drink plenty of it.

You're mistaken, as my girlfriend isn't a mans ass, rump ranger.

>distilled water
Do you deny women your essence?

yeah it's a meme

the pay is pretty low but they let me have all the water I can drink

your mom is a meme. A disappointed in her loser son kinda meme.

8-10 glasses "extra" is a meme

just have a couple of glasses to every meal and you'll be fine

Joke's on you, I use piss bottles.

please don't project user

You don't work with actual practical human hydration every day then.
I'm with the nurse on this one.

You might be literally retarded if you think a nurse has more authority on this than a microbiologist does.

tasty 8/8

I hate when my piss is gold so I drink a fuckload of water til it becomes transparent, just like water

>microbiologist

No, actually he's right. Drink when you're thirsty and you'll be fine.

Out of curiosity, do you have a source for this? I don't understand why tea wouldn't do the same sort of job as plain hot water.

There is nothing out there to support the claim that you need 8+ glasses of water per day. No independent studies, no peer-reviewed research.

You get thirsty before you're dehydrated, as well, meaning that you should simply drink when thirsty.

This covers it pretty well and has actual sources:

youtube.com/watch?v=OWASUMMQjj8

Microbiologists are the most powerful race in the world.

>a 1-1.5 gallons

fuck you

If you added coffee, I'd agree

Too much is not good, you already get a good amount of water through food and other sources

for some reason, other anons have used the tautology "it depends on the person." this is true because almost any health/dietary advice follows this truthism.

the question is: is drinking 8-10 glasses of water a day really beneficial? the answer is: almost always—but when it's not, it's simply inefficient.

just drink the damn water, you dingus. make sure it's filtered or distilled if you happen to be tinfoil.

'go 'za and a wa la to you my good sir

>distilled water
>good

Well Veeky Forums? What do you consider them?

this man is a bloody tard, take it from anyone with a relevant degree. drinking such amounts of water will just have you pissing alot and strains your kidneys. the bodies fluid and concentration levels are regulated by an insanely exotic concept called thirst.

tl;dr drink when you're thirsty unless you have a fever or diarrhea

also distilled water will give you mad shits dont drink it

Did you know the reason many European countries don't put fluoride in the water is not because it is dangerous to add to water, but fluoride occurs naturally in their water and a concentration even higher than artificially fluoridated water?

Nurse here, do not listen to this "nurse." He/she is an idiot.

Nurse person, do you not pay attention to what you hook people to IV with? I guarantee 7/10 times they need saline to prevent dehydration.

One of the top reasons people over 65 are admitted to the ER is dehydration.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/01/150114205703.htm

Oversaturating the kidneys? The fuck? You'd have to drink so much water in a short period of time to do that that you either would throw it up or be on MDMA.

Well guys if you're not going to listen to the microbiologist here is a nurse that actually knows his shit.