How the fuck do you guys even read all these postmodernists, classics and a whole shitload of novels on top of that?

How the fuck do you guys even read all these postmodernists, classics and a whole shitload of novels on top of that?
I'm still ploughing through a set number of thinkers, yet you dorks seem to have carefully managed all the greats.

It's not really that hard, it's just consistency. I read a minimum of 25 pages a day. Most days i probably read about 25~30. Some days i'll read up to 100, but that's rare. Philosophy i might only read 10 whilst taking notes.

I set aside 2 hours of reading time each day. usually get 50 pages done in that span. before you know it its been two weeks and you're done with a massive tome

>be me
>convert to islam
>decide to only read one book
>memorize the entire quran
>claim to be a moderate muslim
>get a free pass for making inaccurate claims and historical inaccuracies
>still considered an interesting bloke with important insights by the leftist intelligentsia

It's that simple.

Some of them are neet and some of them doesn't go out and doesn't do anything more than studyin in college and they spend their time just reading.

I tried to manage my time on reading but I got so many things to do that I can't hold more than just 1 hour daily doing this activity. I had cut all the activities that make my time lost. Some of them were shitposting on Veeky Forums. Now I occupied that moment taking 15 minutes of my time.

We read them, but we don't actually think deeply about them so it makes it easier.

The best description of Veeky Forums's basic spir it is "undergrads and amateurs who want to be well-read, but they realize it's going to take like ten years, so they want to shoot the shit in the meantime, and they probably won't become well-read anyway"

No one here has read fucking anything. It's impossible to have real conversation. No one has read a goddamn thing.

The funny thing about is it that the desire to be well-read is itself pretty rare. In grad school you quickly realize that PhD students are perfectly happy to burrow a hole into one tiny little subject, without being broadly intelligent or informed, even about ideas and fields very similar to their own. No one gives a fuck. Veeky Forums gives a fuck, but everyone's incompetent and lazy.

Das' a lot of assumptions for a lil man like yourself, friend. I would advice you to stop talkin shit on this board if you value your health

It's mostly right though

I'll have you know I've pretended to read many books and am offended by this.

Seriously though - it's the Dunning-Kruger effect in both aspects of the word. On one side, and in the more popular sense, people who have little knowledge about literature believe they have an incredible amount of knowledge, and those with a (comparably) great amount of knowledge in literature believe themselves to know nothing.

I'm the second case, and most people on this board are the second case, or at least the ones who participate in discussions. When compared to the average Veeky Forums lurker, and especially the average person, I could be a "master" of literature, but when compared to people that I recognize as true masters, I'm essentially just a beginner.

Veeky Forums is basically a scat board, metaphorically speaking

You have those who like to elevate themselves by shitting in the mouths of others and then others who enjoy eating shit.

The more you read the less you know.

Well you're right in that I'm stupider for reading that post

>he isn't NEET

>How the fuck do you guys even read all these postmodernists, classics and a whole shitload of novels on top of that?
Have you considered that maybe there's one person who has read novel A and another person who has read novel B and because they're anonymous you think it's one guy who has read both of them?

1 + 1 = 3?

Don't forget that we're all anonymous and there are more than 10 people on this board. They guy who gives you advice about the reading order of Plato is probably not the same who argues about Pynchon's best book.

I'm sure people here have a genuine interest in literature and philosophy, but we are just some youngsters in their 20s browsing Veeky Forums because of the lack of gfs or social skills. What do you expect?

me + your mum + your dad = hot steamy sex??????

They just kind of built up, I didn't mean to, I promise this is the last bookcase I need, mom

Like the other anons say its just that theres a lot more people here than people expect so cumulatively a lot of ground is covered.
Also a lot of people can read faster than 50 pages an hour or more is pretty typical.

I've read a lot of literary classics and a lot of postmodern classics along with Greek and Roman philosophy, political philosophy including and after Machiavelli to the present and some modern general sociology/ philosophy (post-Nietzsche or contemporaneously with). I'll throw in a handful of Shakespeare's plays.

Most of the reading I did outside of college but I took some political philosophy classes that required us to read Hobbes' Leviathan or like works in a week, so that's where the comes from (the political stuff). In highschool I only pretended to read the stuff I knew was public school pandering and took active interest in Homer, Sophocles, Shakespeare, and in college read that stuff on the side.

I come from a family of 5 so I grew up battling for the TV and gave up altogether at around age 12. I lost an extreme amount of interest in video games at 14. Then in college I dropped out my junior year and just worked as a bartender where I could make $300 a night so with only my weekends booked (and sometimes cut early to enjoy the nightlife of my city) I didn't have to work much.

So I'd say it was a combination of actually loving reading, being bored with television, and having free time. I now work 6-7 days a week in multiple jobs and still find the time. To some degree, you don't have to be anti-social or a NEET to read. You probably need to be a little of both to maximize both. I also worked in college and I still found the time to party and read. I think micro-transactions with time like facebooking, Veeky Forums, video games and TV really add up and aren't being "social" at all-- if you avoid these things to a reasonable degree you will be surprised how much time in a day you have to read without shutting yourself in.

Some user mentioned 25 pages a day: that's an easy goal. I recently started traveling another continent pretty regularly which forced me to shut the data off my phone. 50-75 pages were easy with only working 5 days a week but even now, I'm back home working and I'm forced to carry books with me if I need to relax after work before going home because I can't stare at my cellphone while I drink coffee or a beer.

I'm also 26, so i just may have more time in general on my hands than you, OP, though I know plenty of people my age who haven't read nearly as much but keep a que of 6-7 shows and movies on Netflix, and I go to the bars/ parties as much as they do.

kek