So, i was looking through some books and my local bookstore and saw the Song of Ice and Fire franchise...

so, i was looking through some books and my local bookstore and saw the Song of Ice and Fire franchise. Having never read any of the books and never watched Game of Thrones, which book should i get?
I would get the first one, a Game of Thrones, but i couldn't seem to find it. i am 100% sure they had books 3, 4 and 5.
Which book is your favorite? Which one should i get? Will i be lost if i don't read book 1 first?

You should only read them in order. Yes you'll be lost if you don't.

this is Bait

no, i am actually asking

You should only read them in order. Yes you'll be lost if you don't.

I'm telling you the answer. Now git. Go on. No one else here will discuss this with you. It's considered pleb trash by everyone else.

Git.

like the others have said you need to read in order

but to be sincere with you only the first 3 books are worth something, fun fantasy stuff, if you reach book 3 you will want to read the others but be warned, 4 and 5 are really trash

It's quite heavy on characters and the plot is nice and intricate. Yes you ought to read them in order.

I don't think it's pleb trash. It's actually quite well-written in my opinion.

Yeah, you must start with Game of Thrones, then Clash of Kings, then Storm of Swords, then Feast for Crows, then A dance with dragons

It is good yeah. One of the most immersive and enjoyable fantasies out there.
Its actually maybe in top 3 epic fantasy cycles.

Also bear in mind that the television series will deviate a fair amount from the books this season.

OP get the first two books. You'll read book 1 and like it. You'll read book two and see it descend immediately in to trash and stay thsre

You're a season too late for that

Read them in order.
Plot heavy, character heavy, but medium on philsophy and ideas. It gets across huge political ideas in witty one-liners the way TV shows typically do. It's basically all the intrigue of deadly decadent court fiction mixed with the typical adolescent male power fantasy stuff.

It treads the line between low brow and high brow well, and in a way that today's audiences appreciate. George RR Fartin is good at making money and selling 'big books.' But he's not one of those undermarketed suicide note author geniuses.

The first is the only good one the rest are trash

Start with the first, if you like it read 2+3.
If you want more read 4 and 5. Be warned that they seem inconclusive because the ending of those arcs couldn't be published cheaply (too many pages), and will be included in the 6th.
If you take your time, the 6th will have been published by the time you finish the 5th.

>That image

So the show is accurate, then?

First and third are quite good. The fifth one has the best prologue.

>mfw I had the best time reading the books (the first three at least) and then the tv show hype and the memes drove me insane and now the whole asoiaf thing is ruined for me

The same thing will happen to me with The Name of the Wind

>Just kill me

they did the best they could with the source material. that season was always going to be weak.

imo compressing all the material of those 2 shitty books into one season made it a lot more bearable.

Just finished American Gods. I hope that makes you kill yourself.

if you get to 4 & 5, do the first time reader combined book list done by boiledleather.com
it will help them be more cohesive.

The whole story was originally meant to be a trilogy.

Now it's somehow going to be 7 books.
It's as bloated as can be.

Why would you want to read that?