Just watched this and it scared the hell out of me

Just watched this and it scared the hell out of me.

What are some spooky books set in Puritan times, that deal with Witchcraft or religious horror?

You might like this book; it's received excellent reviews

>Chilling real-life accounts of witches, from medieval Europe through colonial America, compiled by the New York Times bestselling author of The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane and Conversion

>From a manual for witch hunters written by King James himself in 1597, to court documents from the Salem witch trials of 1692, to newspaper coverage of a woman stoned to death on the streets of Philadelphia while the Continental Congress met, The Penguin Book of Witches is a treasury of historical accounts of accused witches that sheds light on the reality behind the legends. Bringing to life stories like that of Eunice Cole, tried for attacking a teenage girl with a rock and buried with a stake through her heart; Jane Jacobs, a Bostonian so often accused of witchcraft that she took her tormentors to court on charges of slander; and Increase Mather, an exorcism-performing minister famed for his knowledge of witches, this volume provides a unique tour through the darkest history of English and North American witchcraft.

Pickmans Model is tangentially puritan/witch related.

Not OP but i am interested.

i rarely watch movies, but i went to see this in theaters and loved it.

you should read young goodman brown. it's just a short story, but it's a great depiction of the puritan psyche and pretty creepy.

edited by a woman
typical blah blah blah buy this book reviews

Back to /r9k/, shitlord.

What scared you about it ? The goat? The nice butt that one girl is hiding ?
That movie was awful, I'm convinced most of the positive comments about that movie are paid shills

do they pay you for advertising or something

Duh.

Agreed. If it's not shills it's full-fledged autism--OMG DAS A REFERENCE TO DA BIBLE BECAUSE THE APPLE HAD SNAKE BITES--MUH INTELLECTUAL REFERENCES.

There was no plot or suspense. It went straight for disgusting shock value with the witch grinding up a baby to smear on her dildo. I should have walked out of the theater right there, but unfortunately I watched the whole thing...

>grinding up a baby to smear on her dildo
You're a real retard if that's what you got from this (by the way that isn't even what happened ok? So either you are retarded or trolling). This is the best horror movie in years and the best movie since Fury Road. It's not about "autism" and "references" (by the way the reference you stated was 'very' entry level). The cinematography was also 'amazing';; it was a real feast for the senses, but you wouldn't understand that because You Are A muh "plot" retard. It was a true Tour De Force and I appreciate that they make a real movie like this instead of the constant stream of capeshit.

>Not a single mention of Hawthorne

I knew Veeky Forums was pleb but Christ

Ambrose Bierce, my son.

I read this book earlier in the year. It's pretty insightful, but attaches a lot of feminist theory to the case studies. Which I know this board doesn't like.

I'd recommend it.

How many layers is this on? I'm betting on the basic 2 or maybe 3, my friend.

House of the Seven Gables and The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

>46▶
>>Not a single mention of Hawthorne
Fun fact: Hawthorne's great great grandfather was the judge in the salem witch trials.

It's a solid 3

someone mentioned young goodman brown

No it isn't. Really, how can you suggest that story?

OP here.

Read Young Goodman Brown. Fucking great, just what I was looking for. Keep them coming.

What lit can I read for a satanic experience?

>Dildo
It was a flying broomstick user.
I think you might have issues you might want to deal with

Paradise Lost?

j/k

Maybe the Devil Ride's Out by Wheatley.

Hawthorne's Twice Told Tales for New England. The Events at Poroth Farm for real horror.
For witchcraft in general you can't go past Europe's Inner Demons by Norman Cohn.