Would you be flattered or embarrassed if a novel you wrote became a high school english class novel?

Would you be flattered or embarrassed if a novel you wrote became a high school english class novel?

I would be embarrassingly rich.

likely you would be embarrassingly dead like all of these on the op pic

I'd be flattered that the education system deemed my novel worthy, but frustrated that multiple generations will grow to despise the book (assuming they actually read it, which they won't) and that hipsters on Veeky Forums will call it entry-level for not being Finnegans Wake.

Being Italian, I guess I'd be somewhat happy about it

But really, in highschool I've had to read the Divine Comedy, the Iliad, thee Odissey and the Aeneid, the Bethroted and the Conscience of Zeno, D'Annunzio's the Pleasure and the Decameron - along many others. I kind of feel sorry for you fellas, the books in OP aren't really bad as much as they're somewhat simplistic and closed-in-themselves, I can't imagine people coming out of anglophone highschool with the will to read. Shit, when I was in Australia the only thing we read in the last year was Miller's the Crucible, and as endearing and funny a play as it is, it's no Ulysses. Kind of makes me sad.

I would be pretty mad, because English curriculum in American public schools seem to be designed to waste time (at least from my experience). If it was taught competently, I would be OK with it.

this is the correct response

nah man wtf you talking about. we read enders game, the long walk, the chrysalids, still Alice, the giver.

They are entry level now.

Its just that the bar is raised every generation

Maybe in 100 years kids will read Finnegans on school.

>chrysalids
wyndham is ded

also i should say i pity you

woops

for you

We read all of these books in highschool except Plath

Our senior english teacher was eccentric, we even read White Noise senior year.

I'm actually grateful as fuck.

flattered.

came here to post this

Neither really.

>the bar is raised every generation

hahaha_wow.jpg

I guess. I'm trying to be allusive in my novel.

Never read the Plath novel. Is it any good?

I'd kill myself if myself had to read my own nonexistent book in a reversed timeline within high school.

>Maybe in 100 years kids will read Finnegans on school.
In 100 years Blue's Clues books will be as hard as hs reading gets

you're so lucky

Lucky to be memed? Postmodernism is dead, user. It was never good and was based off retardation and childishness. Kiss yourself.

I'd take the time to visit schools that taught it and forbid it if the teacher misunderstood or pushed the wrong agenda.

don't talk to me or my board ever again

shit i feel cool to have read all those

>would you be embarrassed if your novel made it into the cannon?

seriously OP what kind of stupid fucking question is this.

>wyndham

wish I could find more of his books in the states
my library system only has 2
and i've only found one at used books stores
it's a UK edition Cuckoos

honestly, no one really fully got White Noise, including me, which is why I'm going to re-read it. I mean it was entertaining but there's probably a shit load of stuff I missed as a retard 17 year old.

Huck Finn was my favorite book in highschool, and TKAM.

Ideally I would knock out one in my thirties that I can sell millions to high schools to and live in a comfy house near the sea and write poetry or avant garde novels and go fishing a lot

but to be honest if i was rich I would probably blow it all on whores and booze and travel and never write a single poem

yeah, but at least he exposed you to it

speaking of wyndham, i always wondered how exactly they sterilized mutant girls, it shouldn't be an easy surgery in their ~19th century society, especially if the girl was still a baby

i know it sounds weird but i can't help such thoughts... i have a strong interest in biology

>embarrassed of cementing your legacy as an influential author

bad thread m9

Do schools really read the Bell Jar? Doesn't really seem like an appropriate read for a classroom full of children, seeing as a good half the book is talking about how she wants to kill herself, seems like it would just cause constant issues. We weren't even allowed to mention suicide in any stories we wrote in high school or teachers would have to file a report about being concerned for the child, let alone making us analyse a suicidal character.

Embarrassed, because it would be accessible as fuck.

Not earth shattering, but worth the quick read. Pretty accurate portrayal of depression.

this is high school not public school.

I'd be jazzed, especially if it happened while I was still alive. It would mean I'm making enough money to make a living writing and live exceedingly comfortably.

Sweet jesus, things have changed a lot since I've been in high school. The Giver was a middle school book, and none of the others were on our curriculum. I didn't think public high school could get that much worse, but it did.

But high schools can be public schools, what are you talking about? I could get it in universities, but in high schools pretty much everyone will be under 18 until the very end of their last year.

I suppose they just cut out her ovaries like how they spay dogs.

I'd spend the rest of my life being controversial as possible, hoping to get my book banned.

One of my favorite teachers was a high school English teacher my senior year. He made us read "1984" and a long list of Shakespeare. He also gave book recommendations for those in the class who wanted to learn and read outside of the curriculum. He sparked my passion for writing and reading. All it takes is one good teacher to make a world of difference.

this

I would be super happy since it would mean I'd have enough money to live off of my writing.

I'd be sad for all the kids who have to drudge through my shitty writing

>A post on Veeky Forums that isn't needlessly acerbic and condescending

What the fuck am I reading

I don't understand why would someone be embarrassed about this.

>600+ pages Dark fantasy and modern vampire novels taught in highschool
I pity the fools.