How the fuck do you get published? Not even with novels, I mean a goddamn short story or something

How the fuck do you get published? Not even with novels, I mean a goddamn short story or something.
I know I'm not great, but sometimes the shit I see in fiction journals is just plain rotten

1) Be a white woman
2) Get lucky

Nepotism.

Munch on lots of gnarly old carpet. Maybe they'll throw you a bone in a decade or three.

I saw an empty thread and really thought I'd get in before someone said "be a minority or woman and it's easy"

I was wrong.

Shitty authors have a niche. They know a guy who can draw a strong man frolicking with a woman who looks like a target audience dancing in a field.

They know what sappy shit teen girls like

They know what makes people doing that fucking annoying finger snap shit at poetry slams.

They know.

They dont know anything about theme or plot (lit fags think only one matters) but they know what someone wants to imagine or think and talk about and the present a flavored novel for them.

rephrased question into "why is it so fucking hard to start publishing without selling your soul?"

There.

Im not going to pretend I am experienced in publishing, I'm aspiring myself, I'm trying to make legitimate science fiction. But writing books is hard, and selling them probably isn't easy either. You have to have a market. And there are even honest authors who sell shitty books simply because they know what they are doing and how to sell them.

I know. I kinda feel like sperging out about it. Writing is not that hard and I love it, but I hate selling stuff.

I have an interesting and well fleshed out idea, but I hope that sells my book instead of my shitty writing.

If writing isnt hard for you, (curious to read what you write) then all you have to do is make sure you can market it.

If you read a lot of great writers you can bridge the gap.

You just have to keep going and not give up, OP. I struggled for years to get published, but I have gotten three short stories published now in the last six months.

If you're any good at all, eventually someone will bite.

Link?

This.
Worked for me.

Submit widely, that's all. Top-tier journals don't even take unsolicited submissions anymore.
If you don't know how to submit a story, just look at any journal's submission guidelines on the internet. Don't expect them to help edit your story, they won't, so just make sure your story is finished. Don't sperg in the cover letter, don't summarize your story. Just write that you're submitting for their consideration, give a brief background on yourself, and thank them for their time.
Nobody will give any better advice in this thread.

>2016
>still trying to get "published"

You publish a lot?
Enlighten us on what we should do.

That's one of the most retarded things I've ever read here, or anywhere else. Marketing isn't so simple that it can be reduced into an "all you have to do" sort of thing.

Is this actually true, the white women part? Are they any stats? Is it more true of commercial lit / maybe in the US. Britfag here.

Not a lot, but I've published a few pieces, and I was an assistant editor of a small but relatively good quality journal.

still alice which if we believe a nearby thread is now taught in schools was self-published in 2007 :^)

Ok, but then again someone said writing was easy.

I'm sorry if I offended you and your marketing job, I just meant that basically you need to have a book which can reach a market, I know it's not that simple, shit.

And I still think that's shit.

A book about an asshole getting butthurt on Veeky Forums because his career was simplified wouldn't sell, no matter how well written it was.

Which one out of curiosity

>his job
Confirmed for literal retard. Though this was never in doubt since you're namefagging too.

You got me there.

Having ideas is easy. Writing is not. It requires time, patience, technique and creativity and it's hard to have all of them. But... it's something I like, so I do it without much effort. Marketing is something I despise so it feels like carrying a heavy burden all the time. I may post a fragment later, though this is not a critique thread.

1) Be a woman or a nigger
2) Profit
Ftfy

You seem bitter desu

>waaaaahhh woe is me i'm such a victim
Sorry no one wanted to read your 3rd rate knockoff of the Turner Diaries.

Submit your shit. If it's "good", they'll take it. Publishers don't hate money, they'll jump on anything that they think will sell.

>Turner Diaries.
But that pretty accurately predicted the current climate of Britain, except with less black people

I'm not going to dig up the source, but my understanding is that, in the USA, women are the biggest buyers of fiction, and are more likely to buy a book if it was written by a woman.

>what is a confederacy of dunces.

>only women and minorities get published
>the world needs to hear incoherent ramblings of an uneducated, disgruntled white man #589016

if this is what you're complaining about, then nobody gives a shit about what you have to say because you are boring. write something interesting and stop blaming minorities and women.

And start blaming but also thanking some white male who triggered you as a child and made you a writer because you suffered so much on your upper-middle class first world home. Add in some gender indeterminacy and random words in some language intellectuals like (Esperanto, ancient Greek) and write it all ONCE and without reviewing anything, like an incoherent bum rambling forever after you refuse to give him money for his daily crack dose.

You are now a high tier writer.