Ridiculously dangerous chemical compound/pathogen/anything thread

Ridiculously dangerous chemical compound/pathogen/anything thread.

"It is, of course, extremely toxic, but that's the least of the problem. It is hypergolic with every known fuel, and so rapidly hypergolic that no ignition delay has ever been measured. It is also hypergolic with such things as cloth, wood, and test engineers, not to mention asbestos, sand, and water — with which it reacts explosively. It can be kept in some of the ordinary structural metals — steel, copper, aluminum, etc. — because of the formation of a thin film of insoluble metal fluoride which protects the bulk of the metal, just as the invisible coat of oxide on aluminum keeps it from burning up in the atmosphere. If, however, this coat is melted or scrubbed off, and has no chance to reform, the operator is confronted with the problem of coping with a metal-fluorine fire. For dealing with this situation, I have always recommended a good pair of running shoes."

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheri_Sangji_case
blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Quoting without a source

Just leave. This is the last board where you should think that's an acceptable thing to do.

It was John Drury Clark you autist, are you new here?

H2O for sure
>can cause excessive sweating and vomiting
>is a major component in acid rain
>can cause severe burns in its gaseous state
>accidental inhalation can kill you
>contributes to erosion
>decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes
>has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients

>are you new here?
Not him, but you're still a douche for:
a) making me read the text in your OP pic
b) assuming everyone here knows who this relatively obscure chemist/sci-fi author is

I'm not even OP, and you're new

I'm neither OP nor and you're new. Who the fuck doesn't recognize that quote, it is so common that it is even on the wikipedia page

What does this shit do?

Dimethyl mercury?

it's really toxic
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karen_Wetterhahn

Not terribly toxic but catches fire upon contacting air.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheri_Sangji_case

>not recognizing text from Ignition!

That quote is an established Veeky Forums meme you fucking newfag

NaCN

:v)

2,3,7,8-Tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin

Prions, which are misfolded proteins and, as pathogens, can cause Transmissible Spongiform Encephalopathies, among other things, (in which neural tissue deteriorates and dies) which are 100% invariably fatal to both animals and humans. Basically, if someone were to feed a group of people meat contaminated with prions, they would all end up dead, without exception.

Incidentally, how do prions propagate once they've infected someone? (Do they?)

usually they are transferred by eating infected flesh a good example is when cannibals etc other peoples brains.

But how do they replicate?

Not everything about them is understood, research is ongoing.

One of the theories, put simply, states that when prions interact with normal functioning proteins with the same amino acid sequence but normal conformation (a-helix) instead of the misfolded cofnormation the prions have, they cause them to misfold as well, disrupting whatever function the normal proteins were serving in the first place.

mercaptanes in general smell so bad you'll kill yourself

Kek

I wonder how long it will be until there are computer programs that will enter this category. It's bound to happen, given the increasing sophistication of malware and dependence on software for ordinarily life.

>she was a womyn in science member
Glad she's dead

Whenever the topic drifts towards this compound I am always looking for that good pair of running shoes.

Since you are clearly new here I'd like to say welcome.

Also by blood.

I lived in the UK during the BSE scandal and I am therefore not permitted to become a blood donor.

FOOF
> “Being a high energy oxidizer, dioxygen difluoride reacted vigorously with organic compounds, even at temperatures close to its melting point. It reacted instantaneously with solid ethyl alcohol, producing a blue flame and an explosion. When a drop of liquid 02F2 was added to liquid methane, cooled at 90°K., a white flame was produced instantaneously, which turned green upon further burning. When 0.2 (mL) of liquid 02F2 was added to 0.5 (mL) of liquid CH4 at 90°K., a violent explosion occurred.”

blogs.sciencemag.org/pipeline/archives/2010/02/23/things_i_wont_work_with_dioxygen_difluoride

Can't tell if trolling or samefag.
I've been here on and off since the start and never heard it.
I checked the archives, and there's been one other post that this is a copy of...

Proteins tell other proteins how to fold.
These are misfolded proteins.

It's like pre-virus life, where it's just self replicating proteins.

most potent neurotoxin. if you can smell it, you've received a lethal dose

The prion protein induces it's correctly folded kin to misfold into the infectious misfolded form.

>I checked the archives, and there's been one other post that this is a copy of
delete this