Where on the Internet does Veeky Forums go to read about culture?

Where on the Internet does Veeky Forums go to read about culture?

Other urls found in this thread:

electricliterature.com/)
theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/05/why-art-should-be-uncomfortable-mark-haddon-miles-davis-by-heart/483105/)
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

jezebel

r/sorceryofthespectacle

/int/

new york review of books
la review of books
london review of books
the economist
the atlantic
the nation
the wsj
the new yorker

I'm speechless

shudder

Please explain this sub to me. It's debord through a right wing lens? With occultism? Like what am I even reading. Does this have something to do with Nick Land?

What do you read, user?

>the economist
you just made me vomit in my mouth

is that Halifax?
What kind of culture are you talking about? I thought it was more of something you experienced than read about in literature anyway

Anybody listen to Entitled Opinions? It's a podcast by a Stanford philosophy professor and pretty fucking solid in terms of thinking about lit and philosophy.

The most recent one out is about the biographical origins of The Stranger, which is a limited way of doing criticism but provides its own insights. Another recent episode has Werner Herzog discussing J.A. Baker's The Peregrine, which sounds like a fucking stellar book though I haven't picked up a copy yet.

Thank you for reminding me! Listened to the episode on Alexander the Great back when I was reading about Greek history. Really enjoyed it but never thought to listen to more

I find the Economist's culture writing really lacking, but I read the others when I see them. The problem is that there's just too much content to consume in a single lifetime. Even worse, there's too much content about content to consume in a single lifetime.

I got into it from listening to his monologues, the one on animal rights being of an especially high quality. That said, the interviews have grown on me, though sometimes when they (rarely) discuss a subject of which I have some knowledge I wish they would go deeper. But alas, such is the longing of this particular pseudo-intellectual.

It is genuinely fantastic.

Thanks for telling me about this, user. What other podcasts do you listen to?

What was your favorite part? Or the part that most spoke to you?

Slate's audio book club helps keep me current in terms of picking out contemporary books and they do a pretty solid job in terms of discussing the effectiveness of any given book. I think the first one I listened to from them was about Yanigihara's A Little Life and it helped redefine the ways I was viewing the book when I was having a lot of trouble interpreting it.

I also listen to Longform, which is interviews with journalists and other non-fiction writers. In terms of exploring how people who have made it actually get stories/how they get to where they are it's worth listening to. I know Ta-Nehisi Coates has an interview with them, if you buy into the hype around him (which, I do).

If you're interested in listening to stories, which I realize wasn't the initial premise of the post, then I have to recommend the two New Yorker podcasts, The Author's Voice and The New Yorker: Fiction. Selected Shorts from PRI is also amazing, though I only really use these as opportunities to pick out stories for later close reading.

Savannah, GA, USA about three weeks ago

Arts & Letters Daily

aldaily . com

It's essentially a content aggregator for quality essays and reviews.

I have no fucking idea. Not the guy you quoted, just giving you my view: It seems to be some kind of "occult" circlejerk in the worst possible sense, with SoTS having nothing to do with it. other than in name. I joined their telegram chat, read through some of their musings, but the only thing I got from it is that they themselves have no idea what it's about. I once asked them why they have their faces on their profile pictures, since that increases the chances of someone casting a malicious spell on them, and the admin replied in all seriousness that he has given thought to the matter, but it is actually the opposite, having your face on the profile pic acts as a kind of ward against evil magic.

I think they're just a bunch of nutcases, that's all. Too bad they chose to base their name on SoTS, though.

I also wonder what the original guy who posted it meant by it. I really hope he is merely jesting.

Bump

Also, this site (electricliterature.com/) is by no means perfect, but I'm a fan, especially because it's a good avenue for relatively unknown books.

Plus, I really like the By Heart series from the Atlantic. Again, they're not all perfect, but the Bitches Brew one (theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/05/why-art-should-be-uncomfortable-mark-haddon-miles-davis-by-heart/483105/) is pretty enjoyable.

I actually really like the new yorker someone tell me why its shit please.

I like it too. Last time I flew back to Arkansas I picked up a copy of Harpers, which is also good, but it feels less accessible in terms of provision of content over the internet, although I'm not 100% that's actually the case.

My favorite part? Once he falls into fatalism. Can't say more than that.

Excellent! Then I'll look forward to it!

Have you also read T.H. White's The Goshawk or H is for Hawk? I realize people here will probably shit on me for enjoying H, but I thought it was a fairly well written and compelling memoir, though the Goshawk is also on my reading list (why so many books about hawks? I have no fucking idea).

You don't to read about culture if you start with the Greeks.