Satan controlling four fifths of mankind - Mark Twain

twainquotes.com/Satan.html

Some quotes by Mark Twain about satan in that link. In two of them he makes the claim that four-fifths of humanity worship him. I've never heard that four-fifths figure before and don't know where it comes from, any ideas?

>any ideas?
The burgeoning secularism of his time probably led him to this idea; however it's a shared idea by many men as they age that the world's becoming a thoughtless, heartless, less considerate place.

I don't disagree with you, it's just kind of a precise estimate and he state's it as if it is fact. I mean why not about four fifths, or five sixths or seven tenths? I feel like he knew something I don't.

He count all people except americans.

>I don't disagree with you, it's just kind of a precise estimate and he state's it as if it is fact.

He had a strong sense of morals, and any sort of societal disregard of them was probably magnified ten-fold by his sense of morals.
>why not about four fifths, or five sixths
Probably just to say that there's a helluva lot of sinners today.

we're only 4.5% of the world's population tho m8. there's two other "A" continents that have irresponsibly allowed for extreme population growth, and I'm not talking cold or kangaroos.

Mark Twain was a known troll.

>irresponsibly allowed for extreme population growth
>christian

pick one

This is a dumb post. Of course Christians want to breed ad infinitum, physics be damned. After all, they have religious beliefs.

>of course Christians want to breed ad infinitum
yep

>physics be damned
please explain

I think he's saying that there's nothing in the Bible about reproduction that allows for the possibility that you might actually cause problems by having more kids.

population is not a problem as long as science and technology are supported in service of an increasing population, like colonizing space, inhabitable planets, the oceans, whatever. of course it does not help that economic viewpoint of the ruling classes are neomalthusian. the idea of a carrying capacity is satanic in origin.

but we're no where near colonizing space and the scientists that I've read estimate carrying capacity at 9Bil. Remember that higher population means more farms, means more deforestation, means less photosynthesis, means higher temperatures, means less arid land, also more people means higher energy consumption, means more emissions, means higher temperatures, means less arid land.

it gets out of control pretty fast when we're talking about exponential growth. Please also remember we've gone from 2.5 billion to 7 billion in the last 65 years alone. It was doubling every generation with the global spread of disease treatment and greatly reduced infant mortality rates.

I seriously hope this is trolling, but there are certainly people who believe it.

God made people stewards of the land, but that would require actual thought so of course only the "weird liberal" denominations pay it any attention.

Don't worry, antibiotics are becoming less effective and a new plague is inevitable.

This will be the catalyst to take the faith of the Apostles to the stars. Bishopric of Olympus Mons, anyone?

>mfw Jewish overlords leave all Christfags behind when we colonize the stars

>Jews banished from the planet

the future is so bright I'm gonna need shades

>planet finally exhausted
>population of 13 billion means it's filthy, crowded and aesthetically oppressive
>Mars terraformed and empty for the chosen people
Have fun making hell a living reality because you couldn't handle birth control, stupid goy

Sounds like he was applying the pareto principle (roughly speaking, "80% of everything is shit") quite liberally.

or pareto was applying the Twain principle.

>Jews surviving without anyone to exploit

They'll end up killing themselves and each other in the first week

>antibiotics are becoming less effective and a new plague is inevitable.
Yeah, like swine and bird flu and ebola and what not. If a catastrophe does kill off a significant part of humanity, it won't be a disease.

>what is a Kibbutz

I thought you died already, Thomas Malthus

He's right, but those descriptions/quotes start out pedestrian and end up being crimgeworthy.

>>antibiotics are becoming less effective and a new plague is inevitable.
>Yeah, like swine and bird flu and ebola

dude
flus and ebola are virus diseases
antibiotics work only against bacterial diseases

but we appreciate your expert opinion regardless (: