Is Call Of Duty an institution devoted to the masturbation of virility in an era of absent and timorous paternal...

Is Call Of Duty an institution devoted to the masturbation of virility in an era of absent and timorous paternal figures?

Hey Freud, how's the psychoanalysis treatin' ya?

Ever since the 80's, those kind of action entertainment is a reaction against feelings (whether is true or not it doesn't matter) of emasculation and powerlessness against women's or other social movements.

The stereotype of COD players is hardly true anyway. If you were to play now you realise that maybe 1 in every 5 games there's about 2 people talking shit and everyone else is silent, you just happen to remember the people speaking and forget everyone else and make a judgement on all the players based on a couple of cunts.

It's just an easy way to fuck around and have fun for a while.

Also this

Children have always played soldier, or cowboys and Indians. This is just the same thing online and some weird adults do it too.

No SAGE

>It's just an easy way to fuck around and have fun for a while
In certain context
Also you have this rise of a new form of exacerbate masculinity in the media, which does not correspond in any way to the lifestyle of their (adult) consumers. Think, for example, of rap music and all the gangsta shit (developed in social atmospheres in where most Jamals didn't know no old boy)

This is 14 year old reddit-tier commentary.

No, people don't want to play games which simulate going to the office and paying mortgages. They want fun. Many males want masculine fun. Shocking, I know.

For what it's worth the only people I know who play call of duty in their mid 20s are either single dudes with the maturity of a high schooler or live with their parents, and one really fat guy. Really this can be applied to all people who play video games past maybe right after college. Whether or not it's some kind of reaction to society I can't say for sure, but I think the only thing they're reacting to is the reality of not getting laid and not wanting to put in any effort

Children used to want that kind of masculine fun back in the days, not men.

>men don't want masculine fun

driving fast cars, chasing girls, drinking and getting in fights.

Men never used to to do that. They all used to go to work and come back and that was it

Why don't you green text the whole shit? It's
>this kind of masculine fun
Cars, girls, fights and drunkness are not the same as CoD, which you compared to playing cowboys before. My dad didn't play cowboys when he was 20.
Also this guy may have a point.

>It's just an easy way to fuck around and have fun for a while.

So is masturbation which is the point of the thread

you're the one making the distinctions. What's the difference between COD and all the other shit I just mentioned and why is one the result of an era of absent and timorous paternal figures and the other not.

And if they both are then what is the difference which you see that you find bad in COD and acceptable in the other things

>using 'timorous' instead of 'timid'

Word choices such as these tell me a lot about the person I'm listening to.

I didn't say shit about it being good or bad.
It's different because it's noticeably more exacerbate (men have always chased girls, got drunk and whatever), but have never roleplayed a megamarine or similars. It also comes in a time where most young men refuse their traditional roles and have a hardest time starting a family than their parents. You could also say the drinking-girlchasing-whatever activity is somewhat social and effectively helps the personal development of a man while videogaming is extremely solipsist. But, as said, this is not such a big deal among young males today since hikikomoris still being considered as weirdos and most gamers are still definitely able to socialize, get drunk and all of that.

no

you're using exacerbate wrong, it's a verb.
gaming is social/can be social.
How does driving fast lead to personal development beyond the attempt to become a real human bean?
how is it solipsistic?

My dad was a heavy handed alpha male. I played vidya with him all the time, including some of the first CODs. One of my earliest good memories of my father is him loading games on DOS for me to play. When we got windows I could start the games myself. My mom sometimes got upset at all the people I was killing and explained that they were all somebody's children and had families. She got mad at me for killing villagers and worker units or destroying dwellings even though that's how you win. tfw she asked you to convert the noncombatants over to your side with your priests.

Took forever. Parents are strange.

>you're using exacerbate wrong, it's a verb.
Shite. English is not my native language as you could notice. However, the fact that it's exacerbated is the most remarkable to me. The first thing you did was comparing it to playing cowboys and stuff, and that's a weird thing for a male to do after he's 10. Anyway, I'm just saying it's a symptom, I don't think there are noticeable consequences of this particular matter.
>gaming is social/can be social.
In the end of the day, it isn't. Collective wankery isn't social even if you're with people.
>how is it solipsistic?
Each player plays on his own, or has a very concrete and closed role, even if it's a cooperative game.
When you hang out with peeps you don't aspire to spit all your jokes so your selfsteem gets satisfied, or to be satisfied with your peeps' jokes and then leave. Conversation builts unplanified, flows and shit. Gamers may be social, but gaming isn't.
>How does driving fast lead to personal development beyond the attempt to become a real human bean?
It seemed a weird example to me tho, didn't say shit about it.

>In the end of the day, it isn't. Collective wankery isn't social even if you're with people.
Let's hear your new, completely unrecognised definition of social
>Each player plays on his own, or has a very concrete and closed role, even if it's a cooperative game.
They don't, from experience when I was young, we'd just mess about and chat and have a laugh or if it got 'serious' we'd not restrict ourselves rigidly to roles. This is all your assumption based on, again, the 1% of gamers who take it very seriously that people associate with it as a general character.
>Gamers may be social, but gaming isn't.
Again, what a generalisation. I used to play games, often playing the game felt like background shit while I talked with friends. Especially when you die and are put in the 'dead lobby' and ll you have to do is chat shit with the other dead folk and/or watch.

How is driving fast a weird example, it's the typical young adult male fun stereotype.

what game is that?

>Let's hear your new, completely unrecognised definition of social
Kek, you want to get Durkheimesque or something? Just read again the comparison I made between gaming and hanging out.
The way you and your friends play it's fine in the same way drinking with friends is. I may have a mistaken conception of gamers today, but I know pretty much people who play alone, or play with people but not like it's a background for conversations or stuff.
>How is driving fast a weird example
Dunno. What where you trying to say with it? Once again, driving fast is quite less caricaturesque as roleplaying a megamarine. The exacerbated thing, you know.

Totally opposite over here, my father was anything but a figure of masculinity, maybe authority and wiseness. I spent most of the time with him watching old cartoon network shows and 80s movies, discussing books and doing homework.
On the other hand my mother was on the verge of doing something incautious all the time, like taking us to ride our bikes on the mountains, teaching me and my sister how to shoot, or taking me to snorkel diving classes.
I think that masculinity or whichever feeling comes along an alpha male figure is completely avoidable in the life of a child. As long as your environment changes you deeply enough.