What is it going to be like to use the internet on Mars?

What is it going to be like to use the internet on Mars?

>volunteer to be a Mars colonist
>stuck inside tiny hab module 24/7
>can't even shitposts on Tibetian mandala-making forums due to 20 minute latency

Taking this even further, how would an interstellar civilization communicate with and coordinate itself?

Other urls found in this thread:

tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4838
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Nobody is ever gonna use the internet on mars.

That's barely going to affect me I always open like 100 threads and make one comment in each, I won't even check replies to this post for another few hours probably.

Do you wait 30 minutes after you open a thread in a new tab before looking at it?

Well, some stuff e.g. multiplayer games will have to be locally hosted / mars only, unless it's stuff like space empires V where you can do play-by-post through email.

But for more general stuff e.g. webpages, some kind of fuck-off huge caching proxy at the mars end of the link. Maybe it just grabs every static page it can when you visit a site on the off chance you'll try to visit another page on that site or come back to it later, maybe something where it data mines (for example) your youtube browsing habits, and caches the top N things you're likely to watch. Probably it will cache "cultural" things e.g. the top 500 music singles of the month, or steam new release / top sellers, or the CRAN / CPAN / etc archives, or the linux source tree.

It can't really do anything for sites that have dynamic content / aren't cached, but hopefully by the time we have a functioning mars colony there'll be enough people there to start creating content locally and it will be less of an issue.

Syncing between the "Mars internet" and the "Earth internet" would be hard for most applications though. Even something relatively simple like Veeky Forums is not obvious how it would work.

May as well make a separate Mars internet, the whole point of going there is having an alternative if Earth gets FUBAR so being still dependent on their internet is stupid. Furthermore if you go all the way to Mars just to spend all day in your room on anime imageboards you need to step outside without a helmet.

Yeah, that's what I meant by "dynamic content" in my post.

I don't think there's any good ways around it.

But, like I said, locally hosted alternatives is probably the way to go. It wouldn't be too hard to download some imageboard software and stand up a virtual server for marschan or whatever you'd call it.

I mostly post from the front page. I guess waiting for quick reply popup would piss me off. Have to buy a pass as well.

It's going to be rough until mankind perfects quantum data teleportation

Veeky Forums is pretty slow, it's not that unusual for me to wait for 20 mins to get a reply
maybe my posts are so boring
but whatever, if i can deal with it i'm sure they could

If you want replies, just post it with a bait.

good luck with that lol

the only plausible "superluminal" interstellar communication mechanism is wormholes, and they're pretty outlandish

>Going to post this every time a thread about technology advancing beyond iphone 7's is posted.

Found some relevant reading:

tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4838

There will never be an iphone 8 user

Quantum entanglement

Consider suicide

Get used to the new meme, it's not going to stop now.

It will if you stop posting it.

see what i mean
that took 22 mins :^)

Dont think so, the problem is that is gonna be with 23 minutes delay, 3 minutes in the best of the cases.

Conclusion:
If you want to have internet donĀ“t go to Mars stay in Earth or insted the Moon.

>insted the Moon

Even the moon would be fucking torture. The latency would make requesting a page like being right on the edge of a useful 3G connection.

>Even the moon would be fucking torture. The latency would make requesting a page like being right on the edge of a useful 3G connection.
Caching static pages could do a lot for this issue.

>how would an interstellar civilization communicate with and coordinate itself?
I think a solution exists.
God wouldn't create a universe so mindbogglingly large without putting in some way to communicate over long distances. I really believe this.

By the time you open the thread it 404s

>What is it going to be like to use the internet on Mars?

My ping in Overwatch is going to suck pretty bad.

>can't even shitposts on Tibetian mandala-making forums due to 20 minute latency
Yeah, but your reddit AMA would get a lot of replies.

>God wouldn't create a universe so mindbogglingly large without putting in some way to communicate over long distances.
Hmm... maybe god just doesn't exist?

>drawing random colored lines in MS paint

You're the only person posting it so if you stopped, it would definetly end.

>most of the people on mars will be biology and geologyfags

Why would the lines diverge before 2013, or whenever the picture was made?

Sub space channels you fucking idiot.

You've posted this before, it wasn't funny.

>God wouldn't create a universe so mindbogglingly large without putting in some way to communicate over long distances. I really believe this.

Why not?

>What is it going to be like to use the internet on Mars?
You'd have a pair of servers, one on Earth and the other Mars, and they'd do caching an synchronization. For most stuff the actual delay would be quite manageable. Email for instance would be fine.

>Probably it will cache "cultural" things e.g. the top 500 music singles of the month, or steam new release / top sellers, or the CRAN / CPAN / etc archives, or the linux source tree.
Given the GB/g of even current tech drives, a Mars colony could easily cache dozens of TB.

>It can't really do anything for sites that have dynamic content / aren't cached,
Sure it can. Fetch that stuff to a server of Earth, make some predications and send it opportunistically to Mars. Actual reaserch is probably going to depend on having a nice big pipe, so you just use any unused capacity for entertainment.

The only thing that really couldn't work is live voice communication.

If the delay is the full 23 minutes, then no non-emergency communication is going to happen anyway - the Sun is in the way.

I don't think you really understand how hard syncing / conflict resolution is even for the most basic of applications where there is contention for some resource / disagreement about source of truth.

>going to be returning to earth in a couple of weeks
>book fancy dinner for me and my fiance who I haven't seen for months at super fancy restaurant using opentable
>guy on earth book the same table 2 minutes after I do (in earth's frame)

Who loses out? Of course this is a contrived example, but any application where there is shared mutable state will have to have it's own interpretation of how to resolve conflicts. Think banking or trading for example.

Of course this problem is already solved at earth-scale delays for many applications (for example Google Docs works using an idea called operational transforms). But many solutions will have to be re-engineered because, currently, due to low latency conflicts are infrequent enough where it's not annoying to use a simple solution like last writer wins, or first writer wins.

no one will be on mars for decades. its crazy, and if they die, thats such a downer its not even funny. earth is our HOME. imagine how traditional chinese feel when they die away from the motherland. we will have to fly to mars to collect the bodies, even if the visitors swear they are ok with being left there. im sorry, but we need a fully functioning autonomous robot/ai base before humans can get there. then, it will be interesting to see a human society that BEGINS with internet.

can we all agree that mars DOESNT need Veeky Forums? can we agree that all the mars sites should be mature and respectable?
didnt think so.

You would either have to ask her to book it (>), or the system would just say "we'll email you back to confirm that table was available. In case it isn't, would you care to make a second choice?"

Alternatively, it could put a hold on all reservations until it has time to wait for all potential reservations to come in and check their timestamps against some universal standard. That's probably not likely because it would be a pita for 99.9%/of customers (how many people coming in from Mars will need to book a table and not know about it months/years in advance?).

>I don't think you really understand how hard syncing / conflict resolution is even for the most basic of applications where there is contention for some resource / disagreement about source of truth.
I understand it, I just don't see why its a big deal in this particular case. The best solution is just to avoid forwarding important mutable-state situations over to the people on Mars in the first place (they have better things to do). For the non-important stuff, who cares?

>restaurant bookings
>Think banking or trading for example.
...I think we might have different ideas about what a "Mars colony" is.

>no one will be on mars for decades. its crazy,
We've done crazy before. It's actually not a bad long-term strategy.

>if they die, thats such a downer its not even funny.
People die doing ambitious things. It happens, we move on.

>im sorry, but we need a fully functioning autonomous robot/ai base before humans can get there.
That's not going to be possible for a VERY long time. Our robots just aren't up to it.

>can we all agree that mars DOESNT need Veeky Forums?
People are going to want to relax. Social contact via the internet is a pretty good way to provide that.

>can we agree that all the mars sites should be mature and respectable?
Given humanity's track record?

I imagine that cosmographically separated communities will have their local network. Kind of a "local Mars Internet" with a high-bandwidth high-latency backbone connecting earth and Mars networks.

So you'll be able to shitpost realtime with local marsfags, and if you wanted to access earthchan you would download a snapshot of the entire site at once so that you can browse in "hi latency" mode

Mars Internet will be completely separate from the earth's. It'll be entirely local and communication between the two will be limited. After a while there will be enough critical mass for "external" sources to become irrelevant. Imagine if all countries except the US disappeared from the internet. It would be different, but not incredibly so.

Feels good man

Don't forget all those engineers making tons of money _and_ fucking qt martian grills while fixing everything.

Oh, also doctors can come too thinking of it. Don't wanna get space-aids out here.

>Martian qts

One can only hope we only allow good looking people on Mars.

If course, you need disposables, anything can go wrong, don't want someone of value to die first try.

Booking servers are better "local" to the "restaurant" using a preference list from you.

Veeky Forums.org.mars and Veeky Forums.org.ship would likely be small virtual servers that send you a page with Veeky Forums.org.earth or your local Veeky Forums as the main sub-window and .mars and the other .ships in smaller sub-windows. The local Veeky Forums off you local Veeky Forums server and the rest off the local whole internet cache.

>.org.earth
>.org.mars
PLDs: Planetary level domains.

>Veeky Forums.org.mars and Veeky Forums.org.ship would likely be small virtual servers that send you a page with Veeky Forums.org.earth or your local Veeky Forums as the main sub-window and .mars and the other .ships in smaller sub-windows.
That'd work, though it sounds unnecessarily complicated.

Good thing I wont stop. :^)