What is the most difficult Undergraduate Math Courses/Programs?

Harvard Math 55 has a reputation for being extremely difficult, but I'd wager Math in Moscow's study semester program makes Math 55 a joke.

mccme.ru/mathinmoscow/
mccme.ru/mathinmoscow/index.php?page=10

Other urls found in this thread:

ummid.com/news/2016/May/10.05.2016/shut-coaching-inst-kota-student-says-in-suicide-note.html
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>Harvard Math 55
>Through 2006,[6] the instructor had broad latitude in choosing the content of the course, and the course bore the title "Honors Advanced Calculus and Linear Algebra". For example, in 1970 by the second semester, students were learning about the differential geometry of Banach manifolds.[4] In 1994, students of Math 25 learned differential geometry using Manfredo do Carmo's book[7] and calculus of variations using C.H. Edwards' book.[8]

>LOL lets teach graduate material to undergrads so that people think our classes are super hard xDDD

Did you check the link in OP? They consider a course in Topology II: Introduction to Homology and Cohomology Theory an intermediate course.

>For example, in 1970 by the second semester, students were learning about the differential geometry of Banach manifolds.[4] In 1994, students of Math 25 learned differential geometry using Manfredo do Carmo's book[7] and calculus of variations using C.H. Edwards' book.
so, just like every student in france?

I laugh every time someone tries to brag about their american programs

There are some (not many) American schools that that have specialized study programs like Harvard, and Math in Moscow but they aren't well known but are prestigious and recognized in certain circles. They teach advanced graduate level material in their courses with research components, rivaling or surpassing the difficulty of Harvard's Math 55 program. But the ones I know that do these are Eastern European centric, i.e. these are Eastern Europeans that are running these REU-style study programs and not styled after American math education.

I laugh too when people think Math 55 is the hardest math class in the country. It isn't. It is just the most well-known.

What's the actual benefit in trying to learn the most advanced material available in the absolute shortest time imaginable?

... exactly what you just said. you're learning it in the shortest amount of time possible.

I don't think someone learning about homology a year or two younger than someone else is going to make any difference in their careers.

if you learn that one or two years younger, you have time to learn about the newest shit. This means you acquire more skill and more knowledge to give you a head start. You also have more possibilities.

I can't see any downsides desu

This is just a flat-out lie. I studied in France and I've never heard of a single program where it's normal for students to be studying differential geometry by second semester.

But I personally did it, along with all the people everywhere in prepa.

Yeah no, you maybe studied parametric curves for two weeks during your first year and learned about differentials but that does not amount to any level of expertise in differential geometry.
The prepa system is a great way to learn math, it does not need people making stuff up to look good

IIT JEE

non mathematical courses include Russia history and language
>No thanks , don't want to wear tracksuit after that

Cohomology isn't really that hard. However, it is very hard to motivate without a solid foundation.

Because I think such abstraction is well served by developing a wide, solid basis in more concrete and elementary math. We can all rush to learn about schemes and moduli spaces, but the guy who takes the time to appreciate classical varieties over algebraically closed fields and to develop the background in complex analysis and differential geometry to appreciate the analogies is going to go farther, even if it takes a little longer.

Math is no joke use the transitive property

This phamily.

NRI here.

Is the JEE actually difficult? I've heard a lot of things about from relatives in India.

I did hear that they had problems on it more difficult than the Cambridge STEP tho, and a problem exactly copied from it.

also why the fuck are indian parents so fucking dumb oh my god ummid.com/news/2016/May/10.05.2016/shut-coaching-inst-kota-student-says-in-suicide-note.html

That's probably why Math in Moscow doesn't consider Cohomology an "Advanced" course but an "Intermediate" course.

Another program is the study semesters program in Budapest.

I'm an actual student of Mathematics from IIT Kanpur. I cleared JEE with a rank around 800.

>Is the JEE actually difficult?

The JEE is tough because around 2 million fuckers compete for 8 thousand vacancies. India is overpopulated and good education is a scarcity here. Most students in India cannot afford foreign education and have to compete to get a good degree.

>problems on it more difficult
Problems are very tough. But to be honest, I feel that JEE problems focus less on theory and are merely an esoteric obfuscation of data that only students who work their ass off practicing such questions can do.

but a semester of math 55 all inclusive makes them experts?
rofl
allez casse-toi mongolio, vas sucer une bite américaine bien grasse comme tu les aimes.

It makes a difference - mathematicians don't have a very long shelf life.

A sufficiently advanced student could conceivably cover basic cohomology their freshman year.

I took an Analysis on Manifolds class my freshman year. If we would have had an extra ~2 weeks then we probably would have covered deRham Cohomology. It was literally the next chapter in the book. (we finished the class at proving Stokes' Theorem)

C'est pas ce que j'ai dit, mais un semestre sur Do Carmo (pour l'avoir feuilleté), c'est juste pas pareil qu'une semaine sur les quadriques.
Je veux dire, perso je m'en branle, je suis très satisfait du système français (notamment le fait qu'on ait des cours suffisamment bons pour ne pas avoir besoin de lire de livres en plus), mais faut pas raconter n'importe quoi non plus. Comme je disais, il est assez bien pour qu'on n'ait pas besoin d'en rajouter.
Allez 2/10 pour m'avoir fait répondre

hon hon hon il y a des francais ici? hon hon baguette oui monsieur

Oh yeah, I forgot mathematicians get put down at age 30.

GTFO DIRTY RAG SELLING, CHEESE EATING SURRENDER MONKEY.

omegle du fromage. j' la dix. ooga booga.

Regardless of what age it is, mathematicians have their "prime".