What is the best form of art? In my opinion it's either music or mathematics

What is the best form of art? In my opinion it's either music or mathematics.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_drama_television_series
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Music or architecture

Anime

memes

Mathematics aren't really an art, but if they were they'd be the best

Video Games

>math
>art
fuck off

music then lit

Film because it combines all artforms

Yeah, but it's condensed to 2-3 hours with only a few exceptions

Didn't DFW say something along those lines? Something about music and mathematics being the languages of God?

irrelevant

it is what it is

>implying geometry and calculus aren't art
>implying algorithms aren't art
>implying variable formulaic expressions aren't art

Music is already 3/4 maths and the other 1/4 is art. I would even go as far to say that music is an audible expression of mathematics, and therefor with the category of mathematics. So my choices are:
Maths
Literature

sculpture

why architecture?

>with only a few exceptions

just to clarify what he was talking about
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_serial_drama_television_series

>Music is 3/4 maths
you mean music is quite abstract
that doesn't mean that it's a subset of """maths""", maths is just an another very abstract phenomenon (it transcendends the interactions in the material world, i.e. it isn't immanent to them)
((inb4 sound is material lmaoo, so is the paper on which you write equations))

by that logic video games are the greatest artform

true, but only because they are just a sub-form of film

DFW is a terrible reference of understanding either music or math. But yeah its well regarded that the languages of music and math and the most important inventions in all of humanity.

pottery

how do you figure? it is obviously the other way around

obviously as in "it kinda makes sense but there's literally nothing to gain by looking at it that way"?

can you outline something even resembling an argument so i can properly respond, or...

STEMfags pls go

guess not

Sound has nothing to do with it. You can very simply plot out harmonics and tones and frequencies on graphs. You can write entire songs without hearing them based purely off of their mathematical nature.

'tis what I meant

you are a simple, juvenile space waster, with no actual arguments to defend your highly unusual standpoint, and I have no doubt that irl you really would look as unintelligent and irritating (the two are related) as the ""person"" in your gif. sorry for enabling you so far.

>I would even go as far to say that music is an audible expression of mathematics

What kind of retarded backwards thinking could lead you to say something this stupid. I think this is a first for me on this board.

> audible expression
> 3/4 maths and the other 1/4 is art

I'm spooked. You're really stupid. You realize you can apply math to pretty much any phenomena. Math is what you use to explain not the thing in itself.

how can math transcend the physical world? if a physical world exists and the human mind functions within it, then math is probably occurring there. it's just a type of human thought.

do you think anything can transcend the physical world?

>geometry
>calculus
>not abstract algebra
pleb detected

True, and this is why all mathematics involving infinity (or, more specifically, the completion of infinite processes) is bogus.

it's not videogames or cartoons, despite what the manchilds on here would try to make you believe

Music is the most universal art, but literature is the most substantive.

Literature and music, film is the most base.

Music and poetry are the best arts.

Also, too many anons are posting "literature." That's too large of a net. Not all literature is art and I don't mean that sardonically.

>Music is already 3/4 maths and the other 1/4 is art.

so maths and art are separate

1. no it doesn't
2. it relies on the prestige of other art forms
3. it may not combine them well, making it a weak form of art
4. it's an extremely limited and unadvanced form of art

the appreciation comes through the hearing, not the arrangement. one can still appreciate music if they don't know music theory, and not all heavily theoretical arrangements of music are 'good'

too many anons posting music. another limited form

Music means classical music, not the noise of drugged dilettantes with guitars.

There are different senses of the word literature, one of them only encompassing specifically artistic use of language. Poetry is too narrow by comparison.

le spaghettios man

music means music. but "classical" (whatever that means!) music is even more limited

Poetry>(classical) music>architecture>figurative art>prose>sculpture>film (even if I love movies)
Other things are not supposed to be called art.

ripped straight from the pages of the pseud quarterly

Ridiculous opinion. Bach's name will live on forever, nobody will remember the Beatles in a hundred years.

> Bach's name will live on forever

a truer testament to the limited conventions of music if any

Limitations aren't obstacles to quality. Videogames technically combine text, audio, images, animation, video and interactive content, only to produce complete trash.

You are so fucking stiff holy shit

a combination of stale media is going to produce trash. it's no surprise that video games rely so heavily on music

This is snobbery plain and simple, the beatles aren't terribly good but there is plenty of music from the period with enough beauty to merit its perpetuity. If people can remember sumer is icumen in then modern popular music will be fine.

Not any more, I just finished

First of all (but completely irrelevant here), """human thought""", or """human consciousness""" is hardly a field of study which we have satisfyingly conquered, up to the point that most rational people wouldn't even dare hypothetically enter into a body teleportation device, or upload their mind into a human brain computer simulation, so it's pointless to even argue that the human mind functions solely within the physical world, let alone that maths is nothing more than one type of its thought. But you couldn't argue that last part anyhow, because, in comparison to some other human-centric types of thought --

Secondly (and the only related to my argument), as a set of symbols math does transcends the physical world and the interactions within it. It's absolutely, 100% abstract. It doesn't touch upon the empirical at all on its own, nor does it require the use of empirical knowledge for understanding it or further equalizing something inside that set of symbols.
Compare with drama and prose, which to varying degrees do require the use of empirical knowledge (human language itself is partly empirical, and the relevant cultural contexts of a work are completely empirical), both for understanding an equality or yourself arguing an equality.