Does anyone else feel awful because they went to a university lower ranked than they were capable of...

Does anyone else feel awful because they went to a university lower ranked than they were capable of? I had the grades for any university in my country but went to my local one, which is ranked from 130 to 160 in the world, I think.

Even though I have lmao0debt I feel like it was such a fucking waste of time. Compared to the best universities, the courses covered much less content (to give a slight indication, it barely touched linear algebra (eigenwhat?), vector calculus (what do dev, grad, and curl mean?), and no doubt other stuff). I once heard a girl say that only weird people went to the library (i.e. the university is filled with people who wouldn't have gone to uni 30 years ago). I would literally rather be surrounded by people from Eton instead of this (not that I dislike posh people but I'd rather be with smart people I have nothing else in common with than regular people).

My degree was also a waste of time because even though it was a "respected" STEM degree, I realised that all undergrad degrees except for mathematics or physics are a huge waste of time. An engineering degree is just basic maths and physics courses along with engineering stamp collecting bullshit I.e. brain-dead corporate cuckoldry training. How embarrassing. This makes me look worse than humanities majors. Engineering majors are intellectually superfluous and corporate cucks. Humanities / arts people are only the first one. I remember that people would wear formal shirts and trousers when giving presentations and I found it fucking awful. How can people see this as anything but cuckworthy?

Also I went to university in not-England and did an integrated masters (common for engineering) which means my degree which meant my degree was 5 years!!!!!!!!!! Holy Jesus, people who went to university at the same time as me could be one year in to PhD stuff right now while my potential was flushed down the fucking toilet.

It's ok user, some people are just brainlets and are just born with it.

no just cut your losses and go after what you want

i went to a shit tier university too but since i was the smartest one there i had no problem getting into the research i wanted to do and easily got perfect grades
now i'm at a top tier university working on my phd

basically what i am saying is don't blame yourself for things you now have no control over. sure if i could do it over again i would've gone to a better uni, but i didn't so i just made the most of it and stopped making excuses. you're only flushing your potential down the toilet by whining and not going after what you want in life

Hernadez?

Literally nobody cares what Uni you went to once you're working. Especially not if you move outside the US. In Europe they only care about your work and achievements.

no

Rankings are literal memes right

it mainly matters if you are doing a phd/research, no?

no it only matters for undergrad
for research your work is what's important not the school name. but to get into good research you need to go to a top 50 QS world university for undergrad

i would say try to transfer now, or you will end up doing entry level work for your entire career

Transfer where though, nationally only Bergen and Oslo rank higher, and who would even want to live in Oslo.

Rankings are pretty rough and miss out on nuances.

I mean sure, you probably have to go to USA or central Europe or Asia for the bleeding edge research what with funding and all, but still.

yeah stay the hell away from oslo
i would go to the the uk if i were you

why is Oslo so bad?

overpopulated, failed integration, areas with high concentrations of people from a specific culture, pollution, high(er) crime rates

MIT 2020 adMIT here AMA

Middle class christian white male non-athlete

I've been accepted into a very good school in the UK to start this September, but I'll be starting with a special integrated foundation year because my grades are pretty terrible from when I was at school in the UK many years ago, I am 24 too, so a 5 year degree really isn't something I am looking forward to doing, knowing I will graduate at 29-30 with no experience.

There are degrees which require only 2 and a half days of schooling in the week available at a local college for mechanical engineering and sometimes these can be used to enroll into a university program to top up to a bachelor degree with an additional year or two. I am stuck between being a student who would be from the get go at an affluent school but working nearly every day of the week, or a student that could easily manage an industry relevant part time job alongside cheaper schooling and then potentially progress into an affluent school once he is done two years of that.

My goal is more specific than other peoples in life, I spent a full semester at a community college in the northeast of the US this winter, and I am looking at my best chance of getting a job overseas either there or in Canada. I am unsure if the quality of the school I go to will really matter if I do not wish to work in the same country.

Also In the US I was doing calculus, physics, chem 101 and macroeconomics and my GPA was around 3.67 or something, only one non A grade. The problem was I would've only been able to afford an associate degree and I had no car so the whole situation sucked, even though my roommates are life long friends of mine.

I'm not brown either, so I can't get away with being an illegal.

So sounds like you have options but you're too afraid of Muslims.

You deserve to work entry level jobs the rest of your life.

But nust is more or less equal to uio. And the city is way better.

I have no idea why the rankings are like they are.
Oslo is shit tier even without "muh muslims"

>tfw studying in a university ranked 401-500 in the world

>Tfw 501-600

>tfw I could pick 51-100 in the world
>tfw I chose 301-351 and sometimes 351-401
>tfw there aren't any differences in the universities by law
>tfw I live in the least corrupted country in the world
>tfw the ranking system rank totally out of proportion and without a doubt have strong biases
>tfw I have no face because it is a pile of bullshit

>tfw school I went to is so small that we had one linear algebra II section with like 25 students in it

I went to a top 200-300 university for undergrad in engineering. Because I was good, I was seen as a literal god by the professors there and given all sorts of research opportunities, where they pretty much considered me on equal footing to a grad student by my second year. This enabled me to publish and go on to a top 10 university for grad school, where I already nailed all my classes in the first year, competing against people that went there and other top 10 universities for undergrad. While there, I already could observe that the undergrad researchers are treated like shit and given barely a tenth of the opportunities I had. This is because universities that are this highly ranked have actually competent grad students, which professors spend all their time on, so they don't give a shit about lowly undergrad students.

I am only a year in, but I cannot say I regret anything about my undergrad education now. I used to be somewhat like you before.

OP here. When I was first doing research / original work as part of my degree it was at the start of the death of my motivation (from one point until the end of the degree I only got a 2.1 (60 % - 70 %) in two courses, both of them bullshitty business courses. I did badly in every other course, even the mathsy ones). It was so fucking demoralising to see all the research papers being done by physics / maths professors. It really solidified the worthlessness of my degree. I did close to zero work in the last 1.5 years of my degree and handed in some of the lowest effort assignments the lecturers probably ever saw. I don't have any professors I did good work for so I wouldn't be able to go back to a high ranked place for academia, (I graduated with a 2.1 (inb4 an American mistakes it for GPA)

>dat philosophy doe

Is it possible to transfer from top 25 to an Ivy or a Oxbridge school with a 3.75?

Well that's your fault then. Research is the usual salvation for people in low rank universities.

Don't be discouraged by research papers in math and physics. I don't think you're at point to properly access them. Most of them are shit, as in every discipline. Engineering people in top departments can produce theoretical work that is on par with any physicist and actually have the experimental data to back it up.

My only mistake was going to that university. The social side of my life was non existent in university as well, which was extremely demoralising (maybe a good sign, judging by the standard of student).