What do you think of Ellison?

What do you think of Ellison?

Elitists and people who think that a writer has to be 100 years dead to ever be good need not apply

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SgAXCT99m0M
youtube.com/watch?v=AbRJ8bGIUZ0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

he's a cutie

I Have No Mouth is the pinnacle of holocaust literature and should have received far more recognition as such. It's far, far more sophisticated a way of communicating what thinking Jews felt after WW2 than stories about the camps themselves written by people who weren't there. Looking at you, Ozik.

OP's pic related is a very nice collection, but what amuses me more about Ellison are his massive levels of crank

>Ellison has a reputation for being abrasive and argumentative.[18] He has generally agreed with this assessment, and a dust jacket from one of Ellison's books described him as "possibly the most contentious person on Earth". Ellison has filed numerous grievances and attempted lawsuits; as part of a dispute about fulfillment of a contract, he once sent 213 bricks to a publisher postage due, followed by a dead gopher via fourth-class mail.[19]

The Deathbird >>>>>> IHNMaIMS

Yes he is a salty motherfucker. I don't think his stories would have the edge they do if he wasn't.

Have you seen his Watching series? There are millions of similar videos on YouTube now, he's the original salt

Here he is being salty about Superman comics youtube.com/watch?v=SgAXCT99m0M

Never actually heard this perspective on it. I always just thought it was an edgy sci-fi horror piece written at a time when stuff like that was popular. Care to elaborate?

Ellison was Jewish and deeply effected by what he heard of the holocaust, and to him what was so horrible was that it seemed like either there is no God or he hates some people with a fury that defies understanding. I Have No Mouth is a story about a God who shares no traits with the god we talk about, and who hates humans (but just four of them) so much that it tortures them forever. These are themes common in holocaust literature that I think lose their power when mixed with serious historical events and fiction and the mess that creates. This is one case where sci-fi is the most appropriate medium.

Ellison read Nimdok's lines with a German accent in the audio book, and he's flat out a Nazi in the game, which Ellison was a part of.

Sorry for not having supporting texts on hand. I can't recall where I read the bit about how Ellison thought of the holocaust, but when you read about Ellison and approach the story from that perspective it becomes a lot more powerful than it can seem if you don't link it to the holocaust.

I've read I Have No Mouth, but what stories by Ellison should I read next?

I thought A Boy and his Dog had a deliciously twisted ending.

in every single collection of stories that ellison has been involved in, whether they're his own work or an anthology of other peoples', he inserts these massive masturbatory prefaces that sometimes touch on the story he's introducing but are mostly about famous people that he personally knows. his collection "The Essential Ellison" has introductions of this nature as well as postscripts about.. all the famous people he knows.

he keeps claiming to have finished and published books that he began years ago. check out the wikipedia entry for "The Last Dangerous Visions", a story collection he began editing in 1973 and which HE STILL CLAIMS IS GOING TO BE PUBLISHED. despite almost half of the contributors having DIED OF OLD AGE.

he played the part of the leather-jacket-wearing punk when he was younger, but that doesn't fly when you're as old as he is, so now he plays the part of the grumpy old man demanding to be paid.

i want to break into his house one day, liberate all the stories for The Last Dangerous Visions that he's been sitting on, OCR them and put them online. because i know it would make his head explode.

check out The Essential Ellison if you can get hold of a pirate version (god forbid you should pay for it).

it contains a couple of three-paragraph bad jokes he wrote when he was fifteen.

The Sword Of Parmagon
(Drawings by Harlan Ellison, Age 15)
CHAPTER 1: THE CAVE

It was late in the summer in the year 1503. It was a hot day, and it was even hotter in England where the
sun shone so bright as to melt cheese in the shade. So it was that Philip dePaley, son of Governor dePaley,
of Lancashire, was walking along the cliffs of Dover in an attempt to escape the heat.
"What a bright idea," thought Philip as he slowly inched his way down the rock path toward the
lower ledge. "I'll just take off my clothes and sword, tie them to my back and swim up toward the town"”
it doesn't look too deep."
And so Philip unbuckled the jeweled belt that supported the beautiful sword which hung from his
side. He took off his boots, shirt and hat and, after tying them upon his back, dived head first into the cool
water.
Down, down went Philip and suddenly he wasn't diving anymore. He was being pulled under by
a strong undercurrent. Then, suddenly, just as his wind was giving out, he was pushed upward and a
moment later was breathing the sweet smell of air.
When Philip regained his senses, he looked around him and to his amazement found he was in a
mammoth cave! He then realized that he had been pulled up under the cliffs into a natural cave that had
been made by the sea washing in. While he was taking in his surroundings his glance fell upon an old
wreck of a ship in one comer. Philip walked slowly toward it. It was an old Viking ship.
"It was probably wrecked and pulled under here a long time ago," thought Philip. And then he
saw it!! A skeleton, clutching A SWORD!

Better editor and sci fi magazine compiler than writer.

A lot of really psechedelic outre stuff.

My nigga

Reminder that Ellison guest starred in Scooby Doo.

youtube.com/watch?v=AbRJ8bGIUZ0

Deathbird Stories, for sure.

>genius

Very liberal word usage, here.

Very interesting; thank you.

The best incarnation of Scooby Doo, at that.

The late 90s-early 00s movies were the best.

I've wanted to bang Dusk ever since I was 7 years old.

oh are these the ones that used to air on the sci-fi channel? i used to love watching him rant. he turned me on to other sci-fi writers when i was a kid. always had a soft spot for Harlan because of that even if his work seemed more and more juvenile as i grew older. i have fond memories of his intros to each story in Dangerous Visions. i loved that anthology.

nah. to be honest, some of those prefaces were better than the stories. reread them sometime. a few have dated horribly. i still dig the Riders of the Purple wage novella in Dangerous Visions. possibly the best story in it. Ellison's take on Jack the Ripper was cool, too.