Ex muslim atheist living in a muslim country here. Should i read the bible? Is it worth reading...

Ex muslim atheist living in a muslim country here. Should i read the bible? Is it worth reading? What would i learn from it?

Other urls found in this thread:

philipharland.com/Blog/religions-of-the-ancient-mediterannean-podcast-collection-page-series-1-6/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Ex muslim atheist living in a muslim country here

Rest in peace

Technically i live in a secular country with a muslim majority population.

t*rkroach :D

Top reply

Why are Turks called cockroaches? Became there's so many of them?

Yes, absolutely. Definitively yes.

It's the single most important piece of writing in the western canon, and arguably the entirety of human history. Regardless of what you think of Christianity, every significant philosopher, writer and artist has to address it to some degree, be it negative, positive, or ambivalent dismissal.

Not to mention even though calling it "the good book" is a meme, it's fantastically clever and well written. The KJV is pretty much the standard for English but I'd expect the Vulgate to be even better.

But is it false?

You have no reason not to read parts of the New Testament at least. The four main gospels are self contained and short.

I see. And yes, the Bible is well worth reading. I personally recommend the English King James Version, but if your English is not that good then you should be able to find a Swedish translation relatively easily.

Their disgusting, brown complexion might have something to do with it.

Kek

Which parts would you suggest me to read? This one is translated from old Greek.

(mektup means letter, vahiy means revelation)

oh shit low res

I'm also an ex-Muslim
The old testament is worth reading. New testament is boring.

No it's boring and you wouldn't learn anything that's not obvious.

instead of bible, read this

Yes, it's part of the Western Canon.
Don't disappoint senpai Harold Bloom desu.

This was some smooth shit

the new testament is the boring one to you? pages and pages of
>some faggot begat some other faggot
is somehow worth reading?

Have you read either? Old Testament has exciting capeshit tier moments but it's mostly heaving through a bog, New Testament is where it's at if you're a clever reader

Pretty good banter

First four there bud, Matta-Yuhanna.

Good day to you sir *tips fedora*

Woah that title. Tolstoy can't be this basic can he? Maybe Chesterton was right in making fun of him.

It's worth learning about the history of Christianity, it's had a huge impact on European culture and by extension everywhere Europeans colonised.

The Gospel of Mark is easy to read and gives a good overview of Jesus' ministry. From there I'd recommend Matthew -> Luke + Acts -> John. The Pauline epistles are our only insight into very early Christianity, so they're definitely worth reading, but do so alongside some analysis since you need to know about the context of the era.

Religions Of The Ancient Mediterranean podcast has a good introduction to it in seasons 1, 2, 3 and 5.

philipharland.com/Blog/religions-of-the-ancient-mediterannean-podcast-collection-page-series-1-6/

>Icindekiler

I remember that word from when I was a kid in the early nineties and we used Turkish-made bubblegum cards as currency and status symbols.

So you guys use the same word for food ingredients and a book's table of contents, kek.

İçindekiler basically means "what is inside."

Read the bible. I am also an ex muslim living in a muslim country. The Bible is beautifully written and it has helped consolidate some of the "muslim" morals I haven't completely disbanded, like a belief in modesty, honour, abstaining from meaningless sex and over indulgence, etc.

Yes, the old testament is the one Islamic theology derives most from and it's interesting to dig deep into that for an ex-Muslim
New testament is like Jesus's blog most of the time but narrated in third person.

Damn fine work, user

>Why are Turks called cockroaches?
It's an /int/ meme. An old one but it's been flogged to death because /pol/ stole it and they have no class or sense of humour.

>Should i read the bible?
Sure, if you want

>Is it worth reading?
Yes it's pretty good

>What would i learn from it?
Jewish mythology and Christian philosophy

It's Contents.

Old testament has most of the good stuff desu, Jesus is kind of a faggot imo. But if you like western lit it does all kind of flow through the new testament, though Plato remains upstream from it.

Are you french or british?

>Should i read the bible?
Yes
>Is it worth reading?
No
>What would i learn from it?
That Jesus is the super #1 source of all love and compassion, even though he acts like an arrogant cunt much of the time

You'll also learn that neither Jesus nor Paul expected the world to still be existing this long

You'll learn how to make american friends.

This. You have to really want it to be true ir just passively accept the dominate interpretation to overlook this.

Its an interesting book even if you're not religious. Go for it.

ex atheist Christian living in an unreligious country here. I'd say it's worth reading, but back when I was an atheist I got nothing out of it when I read it. if you don't really want to read it, you're probably going to get little out of it

You have to be pretty blunt in the head to not get something out of reading it, even if you're the utmost form of smug reddit loving reader it has a plethora of profound sayings for the time.

It's pretty much influenced every single book after in some way, atleast till the modern era, you don't see bible references as much nowadays as people are less educated in theology/care less.

How and why did you convert?

You were either literally retarded when you read it before and have gotten some Flowers for Algernon treatment since then, or you haven't learned anything from the Bible since you became a believer either.

The best thing to do with a Bible is burn it.

kek

Also, I would advise against it, it is more of a political manifesto from what i understand as opposed to an actual philosophical text.

I actually agree with that but there's a lot to be learned from the text from a historical standpoint.

Thanks for all replies lads. I'm going to read it once my final exams are over.