Should I be embarrassed to read this in public...

Should I be embarrassed to read this in public? I feel like I need to read it at least once but I don't want my barista to think I'm a pleb.

Do you read books to impress the people around you or you read books to enjoy a good story and learn something? Why do you care if your Batista thinks you're a pleb?
You can't know if a book is shit or good unless you read it yourself so there is nothing wrong with reading a shit book instead of just following what other people said about a book

If you're reading in a coffeeshop then you've already surrendered authenticity as a person and joined the hipster normie hordes.

Also because it's entry level.

Also I bet you bought it from a bookstore in new condition because you felt like it was something you had to do.

Also I bet you display the cover while reading it.

You're so far down the inauthentic rabbit hole you may as well livestream yourself on YouTube as you do it

You should read this instead, its far better

Won't bait me user

>I feel like I need to read it at least once
Why? Why does everyone feel some kind of duty to read everything from the American highschool reading list, this is cultural genocide right here, alike the meme: 'hurr Greeks invented alphabet therefor u cant understand anything in letters without first reading 2000 pages of Plato'

I haven't read it, what does it matter? You don't have to read that shit. Also, you should be embarassed for coming to Veeky Forums with this garbage, who do you think you are, some kind of literature conoisseur that's got a reputation to uphold? Please drop the facade and get to actual reading rather than playing the Goodreadsesque ego-game of reading-list dick-measuring contests. What's the obsession with other people's gaze too? Admit that you wouldn't have even thought of reading this book if you didn't think other people would think something about you for reading it, it's clear from your post and the thousands of others which come to Veeky Forums with the same bullshit that people like these are the symptom of a capitalist superego where everybody must enjoy as much as possible and collect not material items but endlessly profitable and commercialized 'experiences'--- you want the 'reading experience' which you've been sold.

If you want to read without these idiotic postures then do so alone, with only yourself and the book, and don't talk about it until you have read enough to actually have something to say about the book.

>he didn't start with the Greeks

It shows

I'm a philosophy student with greater authority on Greek authors than anyone else on Veeky Forums, but thanks for the passive-aggressive condescension OP, everyone outside your little egocentric circle of 'patriciandom' is a pleb, thanks, got it, --- doesn't sound like you have some kind of insecurity at all, OP.

>hasn't actually read them
>greater authority than anyone on Veeky Forums
>philosophy student

My fucking sides this is some spicy bait

>I'm a philosophy student with greater authority on Greek authors than anyone else on Veeky Forums

Mate every third poster here is a philosophy student, I've a BA myself

I feel like everyone past high school age should have read this, yet I haven't. I've probably read books with more advanced concepts than The Great Gatsby... Will I learn anything new from it or should I just skip it? ... Or should I read it just for posterity?

>reaction images
>le bait meme
>le greentext

God you're cancer OP, leave Veeky Forums and gb2 or whatever frog meme playpen you came from so we wont have your shitty threads anymore.

"HAHA plebz... bait broh!... am I fitting in yet??"

>Should I be embarrassed to read this in public?

NO. you should be embarrassed that you care what others think in regards to reading a fucking book. most people you won't see again or remember their faces. pretty much everyone is busy thinking about their own daily shit to give a fuck about the book you're reading you naïve underage fool.

Your attempt at deflection is admirable.

>o no he used a reaction image on an image board

Lmao get over yourself

You're saying you wouldn't be embarrassed reading Twilight or Fifty Shades of Grey in public?

I don't honestly care what other people think about what I'm reading
There are more important things to care about other than what book you're reading

Oh shit here we go guys, another reaction image, this time it's from an American family sitcom, looks like this is shaping up to be a hard-hitting post!

>Your attempt at deflection is admirable.

>>o no he used a reaction image on an image board

Sorry I didn't know I wasn't fitting in with the "/v/ee / 'imageboard culture'" you're used to, maybe it's time to deflect yourself back to /v/ and spare us your shitposts.

>Lmao get over yourself

Hilarious man, just hilarious, you obviously know better than me, OP. Uh, have fun choosing from the high-school reading list then, I guess?

Bitch please, next you're going to tell me you don't nervously take out of your earphones every few minutes while in public to check that they're not loud enough that other people might hear what you're listening to and judge your pleb taste in music.

the weird thing about being young is you don't realize how you care about yourself far more in these ways than other people do. someone might go "oh look at this fruity motherfucker"...then go back to their own business. they might even post about it on this board. but I'm sure the day after that they would have forgotten you altogether.

if you're trying to impress some lady or some shit then yeah...those books aren't going to make a good first impression if you're waiting for them to show up for a date.

I don't know why you're obsessed with what someone who you will never meet again in your life might briefly think about your taste in your music or books
You can redirect that shoeing off good effort into much better stuff that will really pay off instead of being that random guy who was reading a good book in the train
Hell life will be way easier too if you learn that not every opinion matters and showing off is not important

lol it's not the fucking 70s anymore granpa. More likely someone will take a picture, post it on facebook, reddit, and 9gag with some hilarious caption, and the next day you're a meme.

if you seriously go out of your way to take a picture of someone reading twilight on the subway...then bother to post a thread about this meme you've created...well then your life is more boring and pathetic than I thought.

welcome to the Veeky Forums forum

>if you're trying to impress some lady or some shit then yeah
What if that's when you were supposed to meet the woman of your life? What if she was right there sitting opposite from you, and if you had been reading something interesting she would have come over and talked to you?

But instead you were reading Twilight, and she just threw up in her mouth a little.

Luckily for the memesters, their lives are the ones under scrutiny, in fact that's one of the major points of memeing.

also how many memes actually stick? ha. you might be the unlucky bastard you gets posted a lot...but that's probably like 1 in a few hundred thousand, yes? and still it'd eventually be forgotten.

>an American family sitcom

>What if that's when you were supposed to meet the woman of your life?

I'd be more interested in the person who isn't scared to enjoy shit that's potentially "embarrassing" in public rather than someone who tries to satisfy others with ridiculous displays like books. if I thought they were attractive I'd talk to them and "not judge a book by its cover" zing

if you're trying to meet people get rid of your preconceptions and just get to know people one at a time instead of seeing if they fit in this or that box.

>reading in public
what the fuck
this desu
about to change major to CS though

>he doesn't read a book in train instead of staring at his phone
Shame

How are you the greatest authority here without even reading their works you narcissistic idiot

I don't like reading while commuting, I can't focus properly and it strains my neck

Dude you're overthinking it. It's a short fucking book, it'll take about a day to read, 2 if you're retarded, and then you can go back to reading post-modern twists on obscure Romanian folk tales or whatever the fuck it is you think makes you not a pleb.

Definitely read it. I think it's one of the only books that both literary and non-literary types can something to love about it. The last few chapters are incredible.

Why would you be embarassed about reading one of the great works of American literature?

>2016
>not reading the collected folklore of Burma's 4th century monks
>available exclusively on stone tablets

Who hurt you user

I'll read it someday, user. I have it on my shelf, just waiting.

No nigga
the base assumption is everyone has read gatsby

if i see someone rereading it i assume - and am usually right - that they are re-reading it

rereading in general is patrician as fuck, the only way to appreciate anything, and will turn women on like a faucet

also it's a good book that is short

It takes a day to read, probably even just a few hours.

faggot retard

manchild

>philosophy student
>hasn't read Greek authors
>greater authority on Greek authors

You are literally the average philosophy student.

>your batista

>Implying he isn't patrician
You don't get that ripped without reading the greeks

The fact that you treat a book as worthless simply because it's currently a part of some high school curricula already means you're lost and can't form opinions on your own.

heheheh

>he doesn't go to Batista for haircuts
Step up your game

so is reading alone or on your phone without drawing attention to yourself and making people aware that you read the only way to be authentic?

Just read what you want to read. If anyone judges you it's not like you'll ever see them again.