What are the best portrayals of the devil in literature?

What are the best portrayals of the devil in literature?

Other urls found in this thread:

gutenberg.org/ebooks/779
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP's pic related
Goethe's Faust (the first one at least) is of course one of the best versions
The "devil" in Grande Sertão Veredas is also great, but is totaly different approach

Milton
>inb4 bible
biblical devil is a snoozefest

Paradise Lost and Brothers Karamazov

Honestly, none of these are even that frightening and sinister enough; sure, Marlowe, Goethe, Twain, Bulgakov, Milton, etc., were great authors,
but just because their works were good doesn't mean the versions of the devils they created were that great; in fact, I find them all bland compared to the most masterly portrayal of them all in recent modern fiction: Philip K. Dick's Palmer Eldritch.

Devil from bible was a communist.

I swear you are the only other person on this board who I've seen talk about Grande Sertao Veredas. It's a masterpiece that goes totally unrecognized here

>Hey Jesus how about instead of spreading a message of a communion of man and disavowal of wealth you become a rich despotic ruler

In the Old Testament maybe you'd have something to work with

Mr. Dark in RB book Something wicked this way comes, was an OK interpretation of a devil-like shitstain.

bumpity

>eyes are wrong

Fuck Everything

The Brothers Karamazov
Master and Margarita

Seconding Brother's Karamazov. Unforgettable chapter.

The Friar's Tale at the Canterbury Tales.

>No Dr. Faustus

Mephistopheles is the most relatable demon in literature. You can just feel his wretched sadness when he describes Hell, not as a pit of suffering, but a glimpse of heaven and then a cell of earth.

You're making me want to read, but I got kicked out of my library for sexual conduct with my grill.

The Tall Man, The Walkin Dude, The Dark Man. Randall Flagg,

Judge Holden first comes to mind, he was a pretty genius representation

>frightening

The devil is supposed to tempt you to evil, you mong, not be the end of level boss.

The judge (war) was described as God, user.

gutenberg.org/ebooks/779
Don't act like classical literature is less entertaining than this bullshit

Honestly, the Torah.

Satan being "The adversary" who is still under Yaweh's command but whose job it is to tempt and test mankind is both more sensical and frightening than the "Nasty edgelord" portrayal.

Same, almost got charged with statutory by a dumb cop that doesn't know the law.

The Devil?
Lucifer? Satan?
Which one?

As pertaining to one aspect of God, Lucifer is the purest emanation of "The Devil" under that context. If you are referring to the Devil, in regards to Satan, then there is no better literary analogy than the Bible to date.

He said the devil, if I'm reading it correctly.

Right and it's impossible to detect the context he means, everyone usually has their own understanding of what the "devil" is and unless you specify the actual literary character of which you ask about, its impossible for me to answer certainly.
Lucifer is alliteration to Man (God) without the holy spirt (Applied logic) essentially a computer, a ardent sociopathic perfectionist.
Satan is simply man without God, (without logic whatsoever) the culmination of the "beast" within man, or that which cannot percieve logic and its' application to begin with. Two completely different things.

So OP, what do you mean when you say "the Devil" unless you weren't referring to the Biblical Devil.

I think at this point, we're not interested by you.

To add to that point, Man without God, is not God: just a beast. "We're?"
who do you speak for but yourself?

No. You're supposed to over-think your responses, like him.Unnecessary hyperbole is emotionally gratifying. You should try it.

I wouldn't say it has anything to do with emotion, more just showing off.

Yoda, you speaketh like.

>Showing off is un-emotionally gratifying.

>a
what? More or less just having a conversation. I am interested in this because i am generally interested in what OP is understanding about this "illusive" Devil he speaks of.

Are you autistic? I ask only because that of course would be emotionally gratifying to know the answer.

>More or less
>generally interested

Calm down.

My interest is still piqued, so which is it OP, which alliteration do you define the Devil too, these annoying bird catchers are boring.

I was just showing you a mirror.

And the point of that was?

How did you manage to make my coffee buzz wear off?

I don't know, perhaps you are easily affected by strange circumstances and suddenly become mentally hampered by one thing or another. Just a guess.

Yourself.

>implying not being overly affected by drugs is a problem

What? Your point...was me?

>bird catcher

Either my point was bad (you) or my point was good.

Either way, I win.

>forced meme

Are you high?
or are you autistic?

Why can't I be both?

I forgot how polluted this board was with arrogant Nihilism. Or perhaps just uncontrolled autism. Either way, OP, what version of the Devil do you subscribe to?

Black Phillip

>forgot

ginkgo biloba

I asked for different portrayals so any version will do, dummy.

>Perceived IQ of Veeky Forums
157-165

Actual intellect of average user of Veeky Forums:
>Autistic and Sociopathic

I won't check your digits.

superstitious fool. The Boogy-woogy spooky wooky "devil" has controlled your mind. booga wooga.

>trying to be anonymously cute

Is it less shameful that way when it doesn't work?

Now I think you are the one who has panicked somewhere in their mind and is overthinking things.

10/10

>panicked

There's a better word for it ...

I had wished to gain the perspective of OP. But I keep getting interrupted by these broken minds, never the less, OP, I think the best version of Lucifer is Urizen, a character of William Blake. as to Satan, that is more complicated.

Thanks.

HES HERE

Came here to recommend this.
Even if you think the rest of the book is a bit too much of a tour de force, like Goethe's Wilhelm Meister or Joyce's Finnegans Wake, the Mephistopheles of Dr. Faustus is really good and funny, too.

His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, the judge. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

>frightening
>sinister
>plebbit