What do you think of the theory the Mandela Effect Veeky Forums? Does it have any merit...

What do you think of the theory the Mandela Effect Veeky Forums? Does it have any merit? What is an alternate explanation for it?

Here's some reading material if you have never heard of the theory.

mandelaeffect.com/about/faqs/

mandelaeffect.com/major-memories/

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X-DxGoIVUWo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Good

>I remember something incorrectly
>can't be my mind, we must have slipped into an alternate timestream

This. What the hell, OP?
If you want to discuss the effect, choose a better source next time. That website is /x/-tier.

But what if it's masses of people who all remember something incorrectly?

The madela effect often happens to happen on things like a song lyrics no way we don't actually don't know the full lyrics but our brain is fitting words in the gaps we don't know no way that happens to many people...

Oh well in that case we must've crossed the streams with an alternate timeline where a minor pop culture event is a one detail different

*we don't actually know

That's freaky, that's actually kind of scary to think about.

Wait the dude in Tinamen Square wasn't run over by the tank? I could have sworn on a stack of phone books that he was.

How do you explain it then?

Many people make the same mistakes, because our brains are similar. Shit like Tianmen Square Tank Boy being runover is easy to explain. People just assumed he was runover because they saw the image. It's an obvious assumption to make. Our minds tend to fill in the details and they get cemented as memories. The same for Jif vs. Jiffy. Jiffy is used in other famous commercial brands, such as Jiffy Pop and Jiffy Lube. They just confused two similar sounding brands. Basically, the Mandela Effect is retards not being aware of their own stupidity. And there are many retards not aware of their own stupidity.

Let me guess, tumblr tried again at describing nature, didn'tit?

But let me get this straight: There exist people out there that think the universe, literally everything is broken because they can't imagine being ever so slightly wrong?
This got to be some deliberate stupid thing that ironically got real traction by real special people.

>There exist people out there that think the universe, literally everything is broken

It's for real. I know a few individuals in real life who swear by it. They believe we are constantly crossing over parallel universes and some of us end up in different universes we just don't realize it because there are endless copies of all of us. So like say tomorrow depending on your choices you might be in a different universe than your friends and family but won't realize it because there are copies of them. Your actions determine which universe you end up in and sometimes the crossing of parallel worlds causes these distortions in our memories.

How do you explain the wrong belief that Mandela died in jail?

This breaks my heart for humanity.

No it's not that they remember incorrectly it's that masses of people remember incorrectly and they don't understand how that many people remember something incorrectly and remember it incorrectly in the same manner. So it's a bit more complex than just being wrong, but that multitudes of people are wrong on the same event.

That makes slightly more sense.
Still tough, in the end it still is retarded.

>If you want to discuss the effect, choose a better source next time. That website is /x/-tier.
I'm pretty sure OP is doing some viral marketing.

>How do you explain the wrong belief that Mandela died in jail?
Wishful thinking.
How would YOU explain extra-dimensional telepathy?

>So it's a bit more complex than just being wrong, but that multitudes of people are wrong on the same event.
Actually it's simpler than everybody just being wrong in different ways.
It's reasonable to imagine lots of people remembering something wrong for a particular reason.
It would be more implausible for them all to remember it wrong for different reasons.

Attractor Fields, Worldlines and Steiner Reading?

What does Mandela have to do with this?

Many people incorrectly believe that he died while in prison many years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=X-DxGoIVUWo

because many people are fucking stupid dude. this has to be bait.

a lot of people think the fucking earth is flat. what's your point? people are ignorant.

>Berenstain vs Berenstein bears
>Berenstain could easily be misread or misspelt by a great number of people due to the expected use of 'stein' in surnames
>nah man it's timestream slippage dude

>Attractor Fields, Worldlines and Steiner Reading?
All gibberish with no supporting evidence.
You'd be better saying it's caused by ravioli.
At least we know ravioli is real.

Jokes' apparently at apogee to your head.

Wouldn't that be apohead?

Bu-but I could swear it was called the Gondola Effect.

But SO MANY people think it's Stein... isn't that peculiar?

It's not a point other than to point out why it is called the Mandela effect.

"So many" is Trumpspeak for "I don't have any facts or numbers backing me up, but shut up and accept my argument".

I just gave you an explanation as to why so many people could make that error. So many people think 'lose' is spelt 'loose' too, doesn't mean the time stream has changed.

What about the turkey leg in Henry the VIII's hand? I remember that as well.

GENIUS

when you actually step back and consider all the ways that our brain interprets the scant sensory input and constructs it into a coherent, continuous impression of reality

it's absolutely terrifying how little we actually experience of the world around us

I remember reading about this with the Berenstain Bears a while ago. I had always remembered the books as the Berenstein Bears (with an e), I remember owning the books spelled like that as a kid, but apparently they were always spelled as the Berenstain Bears (with an a). And a lot of other people remember it spelled the same way I do too.

I don't think it has anything to do with parallel universes, I think it's just our brains trying to fill in patterns in our thoughts. I don't know exactly what pattern I was seeing in mixing up that name or what pattern people have with Mandela, but that seems like the most logical explanation.

That's because most of the input most of the time is uninteresting, irrelevant garbage. Processing it all to the same degree would severely hamper functionality where it matters and AI will have to do the same to be able to interact with other intelligences without direct linkage. I'd say it's the opposite - it's amazing how well we manage to filter the world around us.

I distinctly remember it being the Goldstein Bears...

>But SO MANY people think it's Stein... isn't that peculiar?
No, quite the opposite, see>It's reasonable to imagine lots of people remembering something wrong for a particular reason.
>It would be more implausible for them all to remember it wrong for different reasons.

What does this have to do with alternative reality bullshit?
It just means that a mass of people had the same experience - remembering something incorrectly - nothing more.

This garbage thread belongs to /x/.

the problem with all this paranormal shit is it ruins quality discussions by superimposing an untestable and fantastical explanation to potentially real phenomena.

In my experience, groups of people do seem to occasionally become aware of some fact or idea without any words being spoken about it. to me this is far easier to attribute to the processing power of our brains and our similar thought processes than "parallel universes, lel."

as far as the false memories listed on the website go, some are just absolutely rubbish:
>challenger explosion date
I can even remember my mother's birthday, no shit people won't recall that

>curious george's tail
most small tree climbing monkeys do have tails, no surprise we remember him as such

>john lennon's death
the dude got fucking shot, the cops wouldn't fuck up the date on the report. maybe if massive amounts of people recalled him running around naked slapping young women with his cock on that day it would be a more interesting hypothesis.

>Aliens are /x/
>This is not /x/
Why Veeky Forums why?

tell it to the ministry of truth

Aliens existing somewhere at some time in the universe are Veeky Forums.

Aliens coming after your butt because you dropped DMT is /x/.