Where to start with samuel beckett, namely his novels?

where to start with samuel beckett, namely his novels?

Start with Godard. Don't ignore his plays, you pleb.

Already read and watched it, that's why I asked about his novels

Because you know that's what I want to read now

But thanks

Read his trilogy in order, they start off "easy" and get progressively harder. You should have a strong familiarity with Joyce to begin with

t. Irish English graduate

>Godard

Murphy > Watt > Trilogy > Four Novellas > How It Is

So trilogy or murphy/watt? i am familiar with all of joyce's work too

I'd say just focus on the trilogy, go back to the others if you're passionate about Beckett

Start with Murphy

Read them in order according to

Start with Molloy, complete trilogy, go back to Murphy and Watt, then back ahead to the short fiction and How It Is. Or not, but I'd find it more interesting this way.

>Godard
Excuse me?

Start with his short fiction: First Love, The End, Texts for Nothing. Then, move onto Murphy and Watt. If you want more straightforward narrative, enjoy Mercier and Camier. If you really get a kick out of Watt, you'll have no trouble with Molloy. From there, the Trilogy is its own entity. If you've reached this part of his oeuvre, you'll be rushing to read the rest of his works.

I think it's most fun to start with Murphy, because you get to see the evolution of his style.

wew

>Godard

With stronger contrast if you jump around

I'd start with the first episode. You can skip Enterprise.

underrated post

>Godard

We've never had to wait for Godard to make a new movie

I wonder if Beckett liked Godard

There are a couple different paths you could take. If you're interested in what is essential, I would try to get to the trilogy as soon as you're comfortable doing so. The work he'd produced before then was derivative, but still highly enjoyable. I agree that it's worth reading all of it to get a sense of his progression, and his worst is far better than much else if you're into his style.

Just for the sake of difference, I'll recommend another path. Start with First Love and The End (which are the best of the Four Novellas, in my opinion). First Love is probably the best entry to his fiction, and The End will give you a sense of the direction he'll be taking you in the trilogy. From there you can jump right into the trilogy, or take a detour with Mercier and Camier.

The official order is:

1. Godard
2. Godard 2
3. Godard with a Vengeance
4. Live Free or Godard
5. A Good Day to Godard

Live Free or Godard is called Godard 4.0 in some translations.

Start with About the Soufflé

fucking plebs, if Beckett had meant Godard he would have said Godard