The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories, edited by Fuentes & Ortega
Natsume Soseki-And Then
John Williams-The Man Who Cried I Am
Naguib Mahfouz-Arabian Nights & Days
Ron Rash-Above the Waterfall
Wurmbrand-Tortured for Christ
Smithsonian Guide to Historic America: The Carolinas and Appalachian States
Implementation of Taiwan Relations Act: An Examination After Twenty Years

The last four I picked up at a thrift store for next to nothing.

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/468585.Anthology_of_Classical_Myth
goodreads.com/book/show/1389340.Apollodorus_Library_and_Hyginus_Myths
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You can download all of these.

OP BTFO

Boring as fuck

books I've purchased recently

Louis-Ferdinand Céline - Journey to the End of the Night
Marquis De Sade - The 120 Days of Sodom and Other Writings
Edgar Allan Poe - Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
William Gibson - Neuromancer
Franz Kafka - The Trial
Thomas Ligotti - The Conspiracy Against The Human Race
Jorge Luis Borges - Collected Fictions
Oscar Wilde - The Picture of Dorian Gray (Dover Thrift Editions)
Jean Genet - Funeral Rites
Clarice Lispector - The Passion According to G.H. (Emergent Literatures)
Fernando Pessoa - The Book of Disquiet (Penguin Classics)
George Orwell - Animal Farm
Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment

Books I plan on purchasing soon

Fredrich Nietzche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra
Jean-Paul Sartre - Nausea
Philip K. Dick - Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep
Albert Camus - The Stranger
Cormac Mccarthy - Blood Meridian
Cormac Mccarthy - Suttree
Vladimir Nabokov - Lolita
Emil Cioran - The Temptation to Exist
Emil Cioran - The Problem with Being Born
Emil Cioran - On The Heights of Despair
Oscar Wilde - Teleny

Books I picked up from my parent's house

Catch 22
The Old Man at Sea
Slaughterhouse-five
Paradise Lost (vintage hard cover)
Catcher In The Rye

You're a sad person and I feel extremely bad for you.

lol okay

>8067549
Why btw? Please don't make statements like this without providing reasoning. I admire a person who can be direct, but also correct. Who cares what I think, if what you're saying trumps the logic I have inside my brain already? By all means, I would love to hear what you have to say about why my life sucks. In case you haven't noticed, I find that sort of thing really alluring.

The State of the Art HC and Against a Dark Background HC by Iain M. Banks. Sweet 80s covers.
Also a few Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft novels.

are you me? I never find people who reply to shitposters in such a similar way

Good taste, user.

I may be. Shit posts are very boring. So, why not create your own fun out of them? I know there's the aphorism about not feeding trolls, but I don't give a flying fuck about aphorisms, because general truths don't mean absolute truths. Who's to say my level of enjoyment from confronting an obnoxious human being isn't greater than if I would have simply walked away, with an idea still in my head that I never speak? It's nothing more than a game, dude. What more in life is there besides games?

Debt is a boss book

Why are you guys so desperate for approbation?

It's disturbing.

Where is this assumption that we post the books we're reading for approval coming from? Maybe I want to hear about why the books I'm reading suck? Did that ever cross your mind dip shit? I'm kidding, I'm only being satirical. That's the reply you may expect from someone who was simply looking for affirmation, but hiding it shallowly. No, that's not what's going on here. I do think your question is annoying though, annoying enough for me to deposit this choice bundle of joyous words upon thine screen, in front of thee. A precious second lost, only to speak to one person, who's name I may never know. Well done my clever cunt well done, you've truly gotten the best of me.

The desperation is palpable.

Desperation? You're pulling adjectives out of your ass, in a desperate attempt to come up with a reply to that perfect storm of literary greatness.

scored all 4 of these for $9 this morning god bless used bookstores

Let me ask you this, what person comes up with a reply to someone in spite of them, unless out of humor or spite themselves? In either case, I can't think of a scenario where someone would be rightfully so enraged at another person on an anonymous forum that they would do such a thing. Such an act can only be done out of spite or humor, for me I see it as a humorous thing. The funniest part is, the people reading what is happening may not know what's even going on. That's the divine nature of it all, the fact that there's a set up, but no punch line. It's a very existential sort of comedy that appeals to my darker nature, or maybe it's my lighter nature. Who knows for sure?

Veeky Forums is truly the most autistic board of Veeky Forums, good god

Snowden's intro in Assasisnation Complex is so fucking naive. The guy really drank the kool aid.

You're acting like people on Veeky Forums aren't all resentful white beta cucks who project their self-loathing on a Guatemalan potassium apothecary

quit reading the new yorker just before you kill yourself user

Nonsense my dear boy. As you speak, I am sitting upon a high throne, in a bright well lit room, with a lush robe. I speak for pleasure and I am a man of means. To say that the good citizens of your own board aren't high quality is treachery. Do you not value the place where you choose to spend moments of your life? If so then why choose to spend them on this Taiwanese basket weaving forum.

No photos, but from half price books I spent $18 + shipping to get essentially new (very good) copies of:
>The Western Canon by Harold Bloom (softcover)
>The Best Poems of the English Language by Harold Bloom (hardcover)
>My Struggle 2-4 by Karl Ove Knausgaard (hardcover)

Picked up a nice new copy of my favourite book today since I lent my last one out.

Not gonna bother taking a photo but today I bought Mythology by Edith Hamilton and A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James. I intend on going back to the bookstore once I have some more money and buying pic related.

Black one is Mingus' book

edith hamilton mythology is p bad desu

What would you recommend, then?

I'm actually specifically interested in Norse and Celtic mythology, and that part isn't very long in Hamilton's book, so I would legitimately like a recommendation.

These two volumes contain the totality of what we know about Greek Mythology:

'Anthology Of Classical Myth: Primary Sources in Translation': goodreads.com/book/show/468585.Anthology_of_Classical_Myth
'Apollodorus' Library and Hyginus' Fabulae: Two Handbooks of Greek Mythology': goodreads.com/book/show/1389340.Apollodorus_Library_and_Hyginus_Myths

Norse and Celtic mythology is another matter.

Thank you and much appreciated, but if some kind user could please recommend me some books concerning the latter I would be much obliged.

identity crisis is bad you fucked up
>bendis
you fucked up even more holy shit

nice girly hands faggot

Notes from the underground.
English books arrive next week.
Stop making these threads every other day.

What edition of Joyce's Portrait is that? The 2010 (I think) Oxford World's Classics? Did Jeri Johnson write the introduction end edit the notes etc.?
She did for the 2014 edition I own and I came across at least one instance of this supposed Joyce scholar giving misleading and really quite silly notes to the text. I don't have it at hand, but it's the part somewhere in the beginning where Stephen's dad is talking about his revolutionary exploits and uses a euphemism for bomb-making, something like 'making champagne', and his fingers are described as damage because of making birthday presents for the queen. It's obvious that they're talking about bombs, but Jeri Johnson has some silly anecdote about revolutionaries being shipped off and used as prison labour to pick flax which was supposedly hard on the hands or something -- and this from a Joyce scholar.

Fatemi sapere, Veeky Forumsaliani.

These should carry me over the summer.

a parte Gramsci approvo un sacco. hai già letto "Più piccolo è il paese, più grandi sono i peccati"? il titolo m'ispira ma non so chi sia Bacchilega.

I haven't bought many books recently because I have lots of unread stuff

But I did buy this, mainly for curiosity value. It's from 1897. It's in pretty good condition.

It has two dedications in it, one from 1899 and this one from 1912

The illustrations are suitably of their time

It was £3 from the bargain shelf of my local antiquarian bookshop

I'm jealous. Even though my english is medicre and I probably wouldn't be able to read it anyways

Non ho ancora letto Bacchilega, ma l'ho comprato perché stavo parlando con una tipa da Rimini che mi diceva che odia la città perché d'estate ci sono troppi turisti e d'inverno non c'è un cazzo da fare. E a quanto pare parla, tra altre cose, di quello.
Gramsci l'ho comprato perché sto a Bologna. Non si può studiare alla Dotta e la Rossa senza nemmeno leggere un paio di comunisti, dai.

I want these

>RECENT PURCHASES
>PURCHASES
>PURCHASES
ugh

this thread can serve more than one purpose you ridged minded dumbass.

>Illustrated gay erotic classic

wew lad

no it can't. RECENT
PURCHASES

its not "ur dear backlog' thread, no one gives a shit about the books you want

No one gives a shit about the books you bought (which literally anyone else in the world may buy), either, but that doesn't stop you guys from being tool bags.

cry about it some more.

The Vintage Book of Latin American Stories, edited by Fuentes & Ortega

Yes! Can highly recommend Dalton Trevisan, which I got to know through this work. Great choice, OP.

why do you treat homosexuality as some unusual condition? don't contribute to that nasty attribute of society. many gay men feel disheartened by coming out of the closet, simply because it's looked at as bizarre and weird. I don't want to say you're wrong in doing this, because then I may fall under the pretense of being too politically correct. This is just the way I see it, for each one that becomes more sensitive to homosexuality, the more that will follow.

I went a little overboard but they were really really cheap.
I'm still surprised to find The Death of Lorca first edition

No knowledge of correct comma usage.

As much as I hate it when people say meh, MMMMMMMEH!!! MEH TO YOU I SAY!!! COVER YOURSELF IN CHOCOLATE AND FUCK A LARGE COCK!!! WRAP YOUR MOUTH AROUND THAT COCK AND SUCK OUT ALL THE J-J-J-J-J-J-J-JUICE.

you're nearly 24 hours too late, user.

>24 hours late
>on Veeky Forums
new

Nabokov - The Eye
Kawataba - The Dancing Girl of Izu
Some short stories of Embirikos
The Yage Letters
Bulgakov - The Life of Monsieur de Moliere
Ishiguro - An Autist of the Floating World
Pamuk - The Museum of Innocence

Carpentier is good shit. One of my top-10 LatAm writers.

>cover has punctuation
YEEEEEEEEEEE RIDE OUT OF MY BOOK COMMIES

Really hyped for V. Place's LA Medusa ever since I was recommended Énard's Zone.
I actually read through Gass' On Being Blue the moment I got it. It's a short read, and I've had a few passages come up randomly in my memory.
I've been meaning to reread Kafka, Hejinian, Dillard and McElroy recently. Hejinian's My Life is outstanding and I recommend it to anyone here interested in the LANGUAGE poets.
I've been grinding my way through a dozen of Dickinson's poems every night before bed this week. It is by turns beautiful, heart-felt and confusing. Reminds me of Beckett.
I've been reading a few passages of Allen's before and in-between work. It's really fucking funny.
Gadda and Brodkey were blind buys, and Powers has Morte d'Urban (which I read in high school) to recommend him.

Mine's the 2000 oxford edition with a jeri johnson introduction and shit yeah

i bought GR like 2 weeks ago, it's been shipped but I still don't have it, and the tracking info says it's not expected until Jun 7

JFMSU

@war by shane harris (looking forward to that)
six tragedies by Senaca. never read any roman tragedy so excited for that as well
i r8 nothing to envy. check out Andrei Lankov, north of the DMZ for a less subjective and more academic perspective on NK.

Recent cops.

whoops

I already dig the LoA hardcovers, but those College edition paperbacks are really nifty.

Wonderful.

Honestly looks like you overpaid.

yeah, i have a whole shelf of LOA hardcovers, but I need to get my hands on these college editions. I'm afraid to write in the hardcovers, but the college editions have thicker paper which lends itself to notes. they're really nice, and i love the cream coloring too.

¿Porque?

Rate my load, Veeky Forums.

Also, is Groff really just as bad as those trust-fund, MFA, Carver- and Davis-aping contemporary writers? I keep hearing a lot of good, and a lot of bad thi go but decided to take the plunge for $2.

buying them new and treating them gently

>¿Porque?

Great choice of editions, 'non.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and To the Lighthouse are two of my favourites. Good picks user.

Fates and Furies is good. Pretty pretentious at times, but overall it was enjoyable and the prose was solid. Well worth a read. If any book from last year is going to become a classic, for better or for worse, it'll be F&F.

>The Greek Way

Sounds pretty hot tbqh

ayyyyyyy lmao

What edition of Dawkin's God Delusion is that?

Houghton Mifflin company

>buying books

that is disgusting

garbage

no u r

pls respond

I actually don't know those books, user. Tell me a little about them so I can have an idea. All I can say is that judging by its cover, it looks like a kind of a teen book

isn't this genre trash

Bought $20 after tax