Have you read the entire Veeky Forums starter kit? Is it dated...

Have you read the entire Veeky Forums starter kit? Is it dated? Aren't Lord of the flies and huck Finn legitimate children's books?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's for people who are new to reading.

Everything except Catch-22. They're high school-taught books largely (with the exception of Lolita) but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. Imagine if they never got picked up by Western high school curricula, many would be widely discussed here on Veeky Forums likely. The only one that is notably awful is To Kill a Mockingbird

Adults can get quite a lot out of those works, and I don't see why any of them would be considered "dated".

Dated, as in it was put together years ago by a completely different Veeky Forums demographic, yes.

>Lord of the Flies
It's not a children's book just because it's about children.

>Huck Finn
So?

Read A Brave New World I didn't like it. Which is kind of ironic because I enjoyed 1984. I adored every second of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest and Fear and Loathing.

I never finished Lord of the Flies (I detest YA type shit). Too embarrassed to read Lolita annnnnd that's it.

Is American Psycho actually good?

Why don't you like that? I can see why this board probably wouldn't, but I'm interested.

I'm up to Fahrenheit

>I never finished Lord of the Flies (I detest YA type shit)
>Too embarrassed to read Lolita
>annnnnd

Jesus Christ, you're an embarrassment.

to some extent I liked American Psycho but about half way through I couldn't take how repetitive the book got, especially considering how disgusting some parts could be. Had a similar experience with Less Than Zero; maybe Ellis just isn't for me although I like the concepts of each of those books.

Also just having read A Scanner Darkly I feel like it would be a much better entry-level Dick novel than DADOES?

>Too embarrassed to read Lolita annnnnd that's it.
Literally kill yourself. I mean it.

Everything except Gatsby and Siddhartha.

> Lord of the Files
> YA shit
2/10 bait here's your reply

Siddhartha is great you should read it. I mean do what you want but I definitely recommend it.

>he doesn't like TKAM

you're an awful human being

>I detest YA shit
>Literally reading from the "Books you should have read in high school" starter list

what.

Also 1984 is a better read but Brave New World carries better and more applicable themes.

Read Gatsby, it's okay but it's one of the most popular and classic books of all time. Also every 'reader girl' has read Gatsby and will think you're cool if you talk about it.

Lord of the Flies is a children's book, but it's good to read on your own as well. I unabashedly love reading children's lit (literature for 8 to 16-year-olds), because it's straightforward, but has depth unlike typical YA novels. Anyway, the themes in Lord of the Flies are interesting, and are easily observed in the story. It's a good start to literary analysis if you are completely new to reading as an adult.

Really such a list should be ordered by level of difficulty.

1. Lord of the Flies
2. Of Mice and Men
3. To Kill a Mocking Bird
4. 1984
5. Brave New World
6. Fahrenheit 451
7. The Great Gatsby
8. Catcher in the Rye
9. Huck Finn

etc. I mean, you could squabble over that order, but those would definitely be the easier ones. I haven't read all the books in the starter kit. But the more difficult books on that list would be American Psycho, and Lolita.

literally the YA of its time.

>Pissy pedophile scum detected

That's not ironic.

That book was written by a man, right? Not a woman using a pen name or some shit?

Literally opening the book about this "born leader" character and how "beautiful" he is in various physical aspects was a real turn off for me.

It's gay as fuck.

all right, have fun missing out on an excellent novel, then

I'm assuming this is a joke, but those are probably the best two books on there

Yeah, child rape makes for a great read, so I've heard.

>Literally reading from the "Books you should have read in high school" starter list

What pervy ass school did you go to that forced you to read Lolita?

for sure, man

Did anyone else's high school have a retarded English curriculum?

In junior year we had this motley crew of mediocre contemporary literature and graphic novels and in senior year we just read American drama. I was in the most challenging English offered, too, the base level classes read normal stuff like Shakespeare and Gatsby.

It seemed like the writing/english teachers I had in high school got to pick whatever garbage suited their fancy.

Off the top of my head I can only remember being "required" to read: Some shitty faggot book about Florida and soccer and oranges "Tangerine" that edgy-as-fuck garbage "The Outsiders" "Red Badge of Courage" and fuck me, ENDERS FAGGOT FUCKING GAME.

Damn, you sure that wasn't middle school? I was required to read The Outsiders and Ender's Game too but that was like 7-8th grade. Those are definitely a bit too simple for a high school course.

Please be bait

As far as I can remember, yeah. Although, to be honest, once I got my English credit I dabbled in unnecessary shit, like a poetry class,

A.. creative writing class, I guess? (had mostly to do with famous American authors/literature of the South) I would have despised that one if it hadn't been one of my favorite teachers.

And one based around the Science Fiction classics of the Golden Age. (Which sucked, because the teacher was an SJW landwhale with shit taste.

It's hard to remember it all, I graduated 7 years ago, but boring turds like Romeo & Juliet and Oedipus Rex were thrown in there too.

My teachers had seriously shit taste.

yeah i have read them all except invisible man. they're all popular and they're nearly all pretty good books

siddhartha is a huge pile of dingo droppings
>woooo muh mistickal self discovery
what a load of old bollocks

and i don't get why one flew over the cuckoo's nest is on there. there's nothing really special about it. i guess it's an american thing.

>and i don't get why one flew over the cuckoo's nest is on there.

>there's nothing really special about it.

Fuck you, it's a fantastic read.

i've only read TKAM and didn't love it I started catch 22 and mostly enjoyed it but it takes too much effort to read ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why isn't there a list of stuff to read after you finish the starter kit

im not sure but i know my HS library had a few copies of it
along with like two shelves of Stephen King
so maybe mine was just chill

I've only read two in their entirety, have started and never finished at least 4 others. But this was before I knew they were on a meme list.

No. It might actually be the worst thing in that pic. BEE is a massive hack.

>ironic
No

Being "a children's book" doesn't preclude a work from being worthwhile. The same is true of genre fiction.

I would wager it's because you're supposed to use the starter kit to get a feel for what you would enjoy, and then proceed from there. Many of the authors in the kit wrote more than one book, for starters

i have read of those brave new world, flew over the cuckoo's nest, 1984, 451, the picture of dorian grey and huckelberry finn... i also have read pale fire and steppenwolf, that's instead of lolita and siddhartha respectively

i have no desire to read the rest, those are mostly american highschool stuff which is not very interesting to me, i will likely read electric sheep and listen to an audiobook of lolita and that's all

I liked American Psycho a lot. I'm also a bit of an edgelord. In that picture I would replace it with The Stranger tbqh

>No 1984
>No animal farm
>no Dune
>no The Stranger

You fucking uncultured swine, how can you be so fucking closed-minded to not read an excellent novel because "ew pedophilia is gross."

What is wrong with Catch-22? Keep seeing people bash it here but no explanation is given. Even if it's not the best I can't think of a similar but more illustrative book.

desu there should probably be some black authors and some poetry anthologies or suggestions. It's definitely missing a lot of classics and significant pieces of literature and includes a few that aren't really important but fun to read. If you search for reading lists from classes at reputable universities or good high schools (i.e. good boarding schools or prep schools, ap english classes) you'll find good suggestions.

Also just because they were written for children doesn't mean that they dont merit an analysis. There's some interesting statements in Huck Finn for instance about race relations in the south.

>Book about some dude wanting/trying to fuck a kid is considered "open-minded high culture" here.

Yeah, sounds like Veeky Forums...

Why would I read an anglo-centered pile of shit ?

>Of Mice and Men is objectively the worst Steinbeck

>currently reading Huck Finn, it's good, love Twain. Recommend Puddinhead Wilson highly

>Lord of the Flies and To Kill A Mockingbird are for 15 year olds

You guys post loli threads on a daily basis, don't you?

Anything that isn't a non-fiction philosophy book is YA to this fucking bored.

Is there a children's canon?

I've often thought about what books I would get my children to read, were I to ever procreate.

it's a great book thats humor is lost on teenagers and young adults

Harry Potter and other books that everyone can appreciate.

Naw. TKAMB was really the 1960's equivalent of YA. If you can't see the connection there, you obviously don't read.

It's mostly stuff you're supposed to read in high school. The problem is that most people coming here after that phase in life were also part of the group whom dismissed this literature as not being worthwhile. It's meant to build up the base of knowledge to bring them further into the western canon which will allow them to enter the discussions we have here and at our expected level.

There's a distinct lack of the greeks

Veeky Forums-core for children:

Wind in the Willows
Alice in Wonderland
The Little Prince
Narnia
The Hobbit

+Newbery Medalists in general.

Books you should have read in high school, not books your high school made you read.

I assume if you're on this board you aren't absolutely opposed to actually reading a book on your own.

What dumb ass high school did you go to where you never learned to read.

You're an idiot if you can't understand the significance of it. Either that or you're not American. In that case, I can understand the disconnect.

>Read A Brave New World I didn't like it. Which is kind of ironic because I enjoyed 1984

I felt the exact same thing. I started reading Brave new world after Orwell's 1984 and didn't feel the same pleasure.

>TKAM
>YA

you're doing a pretty big service to the YA genre there Bud

if you didn't like TKAM you're barely a human being. Read it again now that you're not an immature "I-fucking-love-science" dipshit and appreciate the unassuming, honest, yet profound prose and rich characterization as well as the most compelling portrayal of small-town Southern life... u fuckin dipshit

Nice argument. Thanks for admitting that you don't read.

Seeing how your defense of the novel only consists of elementary, cuddly buzzwords, you're only serving to prove my point. Retard.

>appreciate the unassuming, honest, yet profound prose and rich characterization as well as the most compelling portrayal of small-town Southern life

Kek. Am I reading a grade 9 essay?

>Nice argument.

Look at your entire post.

>non-humans responding to me

not gonna read

Another amazing argument.

>underage responding to me

>these are words i recognize and therefore i don't need to argue my point further

whether TKAM is shit or not, if you don't see why 'those are just buzzwords!' is sophistry then i'm sorry but you can't fuck my wife

Not him, but the dude was clearly spewing out some sick word salad.

High school Starter tier, or mebbe for vaguely intelligent neckbeard dropouts

The only books I haven't read are Catch-22 and Fear and Loathing. I've seen the film for the latter. I'm in no hurry to read them. My favorite on the list is Catcher in the Rye and my least favorite To Kill a Mockingird. American Psycho gets honorable mention.

it looked like it was thrown together my someone who thought american high school literature was essential

>addition and subtraction is meme math
>the revolutionary war is meme tier history
>the scientific method is a meme

Read all but five. Siddhartha was shit but invisible man was fucking incredible

well, that's obvious

Lolita was actually in my high school book list lmao

>reading for the plot
lmaoing @ ur life

>i read it for the plot

This is interesting because I had the opposite reaction.
1984 seems much less fully realized than Brave New World. Considering that a large chunk of 1984 is just essays explaining how his nightmare world would work- it feels like a glaring weakness. The "Boot on a human face" policy is a little absurd, while the "keep everyone happy" seems much more real and dangerous.

>implying it was rape

read all except fear and loathing cause
>reading non fiction

also im gonna count watching the movie as having read american psycho

Why would you count watching it
That is silly you're silly

cause i dont really feel like reading the book desu.

i've read the book but not seen the film
does the film have those cringey bits in where bateman is full of gushing praise for phil collins, talking heads etc?

yes

>cringey

senpai those are the best parts

youtube.com/watch?v=vzN3qO-qc8U

ive read of mice and men

i've seen this posted too
is it any good?

>senpai those are the best parts

no i meant in the book, they are meant to be cringey, like we are meant to go "wtf?" at PB's endless lists of wardrobe choices etc that would be completely bizarre in the real world

those are the bits where the "is this the real life or is it just fantasy" theory about the book comes from

>Too embarrassed to read Lolita annnnnd that's it.
Lolita is like a horror movie the content is supposed to be disturbing

>what is unreliable narrator

>huck Finn
Sure Huck Finn can be read as a children's book, but it also has complex and deep themes that you probably didnt grasp when you were 14. Definitely worth reading as an adult, particularly an american.

what book...

ive read 7 of these and have no interest in the ones i havent already read

That's because there's a chart for that already. The wiki literally gives you a choice on whether to start with the Veeky Forums starter kit or to start with the greeks

Then why don't we make a new one? Then we can compare the two, if the newer one seems more effective as a starter kit than the one in OP then someone can edit the wiki

These books are all pretty fucking boring desu.

I'm actually well read af but I would no shit rather play video games or jack off than drown ~ hours in reading that shit. I'm not into anime or any of that shit, but I recommend you go read any of that before you touch this stuff.

(Maybe with the exception of the Invisible Man)

2nd one was meant to reply to