I used to hate the "The movie wasn't as good as the book." people, until I got into reading...

I used to hate the "The movie wasn't as good as the book." people, until I got into reading... Anyone else experience this? I'm a huge movie fan too, but since I really got into reading about 2 years ago I'm definitely one of those people now.

At first I didn't really agree, because what got me back into reading was actually The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. It was a really quick read that introduced me to how captivating the simple words in a novel can be. Anyway I saw the movie and thought it was actually a really good representation of the book. Practically a clone actually. So those people must've just been book snob elitists.

Then I read The Martian, saw the film. Book was much better and had much more comedic value. After I read The Shining, and realized it was much better than the film. So I began to realize there's tons of examples to support that statement I once loathed and hated.

The biggest disappointment was the Hulu original show 11.22.63, based on the Stephen King novel. It was such a letdown. I loved that book and envisioned the perfect movie, with say Jonny Depp. I mean it was a good show but wasn't really like the book. I don't know, I was disappointed. I think it would've been better as a 3-part TV show event. Shows butcher novel plots I feel like. Under the Dome was subpar.

I guess the only exception was The Stand. The TV specials were amazing. Anyway, what's your biggest letdown in the novel-to-movie category?

post tits or at least legs

>Anyway, what's your biggest letdown in the novel-to-movie category?

The /tv/ thread to Veeky Forums thread translation is always a disappointment in my mind

Is this copy pasta from plebbit? Fuck off.

all of the books you mentioned on your post are pleb-tier garbage,adapting it into something else will always turn out to be horrible because the original source material is horrible.

>it's the comparing mediums with two completely different metrics for artistic excellence meme

stop posting shit from r/books

underrated post

>Now a major motion picture!

>Talk like me stupid!!!!!!!!!!

Seems weird that without an sense of condescention or narricisim in your tone, Lit thinks you come from Reddit.

I really wish there was a sperate lit, casual lit maybe? And the faggot elitists would laugh and smell their own farts all day, but they'd eventually come over to casual lit and admit that just because a science fiction book isn't the pinnacle of literature, it can still be enjoyable. At the very least we could get away from the shitsuckers for a bit.

>I really wish there was a sperate lit, casual lit maybe?
r/books, goodreads, pretty much any lit forum on the internet outside of Veeky Forums

>adapting it into something else will always turn out to be horrible because the original source material is horrible

Not true in the slightest. Loads of mediocre high-concept novels have been turned into entertaining movies because the core concept is interesting.

That movie was all right at some parts, like when he was musing about being the first man alone on a planet and wandering the terrain. Wish more of it was like that.

Is it all possible for you to conceive that people maybe don't want to talk about books with people who make shitty puns about them and say things like ownage, but at the same time don't want to deal with some faggot online who thinks he's better than everyone else simply because he read a book that history and critical acclaim told him were good? Maybe I dont want to hang out with the dudebros or the kid in literature class who thinks he knows more than the professor?

So you want to talk about plebshit but don't want to deal with plebs? Do you also try to talk about Naruto and Bleach on /a/ because you don't like the crowd at MAL and r/anime?

>implying /a/ isnt full of plebs

/a/ is literally the worst place to discuss anime on the internet

You're pathetic, reddit moron, regardless of whether this is actually you or if you're "merely pretending xD". Are you going to admit which one you are or just leave and never come back?

That's quite a pickle you've got yourself in. I suggest you kill yourself and fuck the body.

God the martian was HORRIBLE
GRRRR
AHHH

>Plebshit

Coming from someone who talks in ways that would disgust his literary idols.

I think books that aren't philosophical or masteries of the English language are still good books. They can capture the mind in heart in other ways than "Im So fucking smart and cool for reading this book I feel so good about myself"

And for the record, I don't try to say that sci-fi or fantasy can compare with the complex language or theme set ups to literary masterpieces,i just think they offer another type of value, and while that value may he something that you can't see with your head up your ass, other people can.

It's ironic that books written carefully and humbly dedicated to the craft are lauded by reckless blowhard elitists faggots who think that if a book doesnt adhere to their perception of perfection it's shit.

If Lit was full of scholarly folks who only went to a sci-fi thread to discuss the most literary excellent ones, that would be fine. But instead you faggots burst in saying "you suck you should read this book that gives you ego points if you finish it."

So I want to deal with valuable works that have qualities beyond the ones you enjoy, and I don't want to talk to "plebs" because they don't get it, they just spout puns and want to fuck the characters. I don't want to talk to you either, cuz you dont get it, you just want to shit on anything you dont like. I want to talk to someone who understands that a guy had a complex idea, put it on paper with characters I enjoy, and presented me with a world I could explore, instead of tradition. Cunt.

I have never been to Reddit. I don't know how Reddit even works, it looks just like a shitty bunch of words are mashed together. But it really isn't the place of Veeky Forums sperglords to speak on it. Spergs are no better than redditors

Don't you have a reddit account to get some points on?

Look at the picture I posted you retarded troll.

>Le Reddit
>Le notoriously shitty site
>Le ur a pleb
>Le you r on Reddit

Shut the fuck up you cocksucking sperglord. I stand Reddit.

I knew the copy pasta was obviously from Reddit, it was obvious because OPs pic is The martian, a no no book on lit because it's popular. Still, even the filthy Reddit copy pasta was better written than any of your responses. Maybe you should try to he better than the redditors instead of trying to shit on them from the same level

>I don't try to say that sci-fi or fantasy can compare with the complex language or theme set ups to literary masterpieces,i just think they offer another type of value, and while that value may he something that you can't see with your head up your ass, other people can.

Not all SFF is pleb-tier garbage, but the books you listed definitely are.

I cannot stand Reddit*

I didn't list any fucking books. Im not op. There's a little marker next to any of OPs posts, that shows hes OP. You sure you aren't from Reddit?

So you finally admit that the copy pasta is from plebbit, yet you are still bitching and moaning about it like a prima donna on the rag? Fuck off.

Yes it is.

Calm down, you're embarassing.
Why do you write so similarly to some idiot from reddit or some vulnerable girl from tumblr? Can you at least admit openly you're a woman? I know it's true, I just want you to admit it.
What exactly do you want? You obviously agree with OP's post, regardless of it being pasta.

>I really wish there was a sperate lit, casual lit maybe?
Do you want this? I think they have that over on reddit. In every thread there's about 5-10 posts with maybe less than a handful of replies to each one, every single one safer than the next. No discussion, just inoffensive generally agreed upon opinions and head nodding, or on the odd day where there is a disagreement, it'll be something akin to
>Nope, actually
and so on, the reply being either some of the most passive aggressive nonsense you can even think of or something oozing snarky superiority only a woman studying literature at a liberal college can come up with.

>but they'd eventually come over to casual lit and admit that just because a science fiction book isn't the pinnacle of literature, it can still be enjoyable.
Why can't you just be honest and use YA or some other drivel as an example since those is what you mainly spend your time reading?

>Maybe I dont want to hang out with the dudebros or the kid in literature class who thinks he knows more than the professor?
Are you in a literature class?
You write about how you hate book snobs, but also hate underage readers, but what are you then? You read books like The Martian, and The Hunger Games, the book that got you back into reading. Why did you stop to begin with? Do you mean reading in the sense like when you're a child and you read children's books but then stop reading because you change reading for other interests? What exactly is the point in reading books you know to be mediocre when there's so many out there that are good?

And finally
>Le
either you've been in a coma or you've spent too long on various other sites seeing age old Veeky Forums screencaps.

>There's a little marker next to any of OPs posts, that shows hes OP.

You're either new here, or an utter moron.

I never said it wasn't from Reddit. Maybe if you stopped switching from the thread to your lolicon visual novels you could keep track of the conversation.

>Can you at least openly admit you're a woman
It's a woman are inferior episode, brought to us by someone who is intimidated by them or is homosexual and only respects one woman, his ! mother.

Im not female.
>They have that over on Reddit
Ive already explained I don't care for Reddit, I just want a place where the elitists font have to see us and don't have to see them.
>YA
I primarily read science fiction and Lit suggestions like Carver. I read a John Green book in highschool once.

>Hate book snobs and underage Readers

No, I hate pretentious faggots who think a good book is worthless because it isn't classic, and I hate people who take a good book and dumb it down into some tumblr style disgusting picture of the two main characters kissing. I have never read any of the books you or OP listed, I just know that the elitists twats of Lit see no difference between the Martian or War of the World's.

>Le

I'm kind of New, I will admit that. But never from reddit

>Im not female.
You talk like a bitch and act like a bitch. I wouldn't be surprised if you fuck like a bitch, too.

Yeah, alright, and you talk like

A. A homosexual who doesn't know anything about women.

B. A pro wrestling fan who tries to make up for his trailer trash hobby by pretending to be learned in literature everyday

C. A fucking idiot.

Maybe some bizzare mixture of all three. Go hide in thd closest closet cunt

>OPs pic is The martian, a no no book on lit because it's popular

It's despised on Veeky Forums because it's poorly written self published garbage with an annoying "I fucking love science" theme. Most of the books anonymous users on Veeky Forums discuss are very popular. The Brothers K is popular. Infinite Jest and Gravity's Rainbow are popular. Ulysses is popular. These books have sold millions of copies. Are they popular and well known on r/books? No. But that doesn't mean that thousands of people don't read them every day.

It's actually hard to discuss "obscure" books on Veeky Forums because not enough people have read them and formed strong opinions on them. Usually you have to make an "underrated books" thread to get people to talk. But a Lolita thread? Guaranteed replies.

I've never understood the pleb attitude some people bring to Veeky Forums, just full of insecurity and resentment that people are liking things they don't like.

Tits or GTFO.

I don't have a problem with women, I have a problem with women who are loudmouthed idiots. And I think you are one because everything so far points towards it which is why I again ask for you to admit it.

>No, I hate pretentious faggots who think a good book is worthless because it isn't classic
>and I hate people who take a good book and dumb it down into some tumblr style disgusting picture of the two main characters kissing.
>I have never read any of the books you or OP listed, I just know that the elitists twats of Lit see no difference between the Martian or War of the World's.
I think you have to realize something about this that isn't explicitly talked about, at least not that I've seen: Veeky Forums's elitism is its protection and self-preservation. If lesser books, such as The Martian or John Green or simply general mediocre Sci-Fi books were more accepted, it would mean a lessening of Veeky Forums and its standards. A dumbing down. Why on Earth would anyone who comes on Veeky Forums regularly want this? You can go to other sites for this but obviously it'll be mainly coddling there. That isn't to say there isn't a lot of inane shitposting on Veeky Forums, of course there is, because we're on Veeky Forums, and it's fun.
You say you primarily read Sci-Fi. I don't have anything against Sci-Fi and I've enjoyed reading Sci-Fi, but I know it's not the best literature can be, so why pretend? What exactly do you want to talk about? I'm thinking of this sentence
>I hate pretentious faggots who think a good book is worthless because it isn't classic
do you just want to throw around book titles and say "wow that one was really good!", "this one totally!", and "this one starts off slow but gets really good, like really good!" The substance of really good Sci-Fi books is limited, it pales when comparing to the giants of literature which is why there will always be philosophy threads. You being this into Sci-Fi makes me think of those people who say they are really into history, but what they're really into is reading about WWI or WWII and simply interested in the guns and the battles and so on. There's still Sci-Fi generals here on Veeky Forums, isn't there? I never bother to go into them but I see them. Why don't you just go into those?

>I'm kind of New, I will admit that. But never from reddit
Are you underage then? Or '18'? How long have you spent on Veeky Forums so far? You seem pretty pissed off and annoyed, so I'd assume it's been for a while, less than 6 months? Are you angry because you've tried to create threads previously about books and nobody cared about them?

>I dunt liek ppl who act like teenagers and manchildren
>I dunt liek ppl who dunt liek books for teenagers and manchildren
???

You have a point, but I don't think that the people of lit all concede around the idea that it sucks because it sucks, I think they just think it sucks because Reddit likes it.

Threads like these op posted are why /a/ tried to stay elitist, although they failed miserably cause everythings moe pleb shit now.

Don't respond to op just report.

>I think they just think it sucks because Reddit likes it.
That's got nothing to do with it sucking. That's just additional humor. The book sucks but then reddit thinks it's good because >sceience haha im a nerd, and now there's something funny about it. If the book had simply sucked and reddit didn't like it, that would be the end of it, there would be no funny thing there.

The /a/utist did it to themselves. Anime has objectively become trash and they helped with it.

You haven't been here long, have you? Most of the hate originated in threads that showed screencapped passages of the book, so it's absolutely because of the content.

Still not a woman.

I came to lit because i expected to get my ass handed to me about good books of all kinds. I came here to discover that books are in a hierarchy and people defend their favourite book while shitting on any others. I expected some real debate and I occasionally get it, but when I don't I just fire back and shit post with the rest of you. I never wanted to be coddled, I wanted to find a place where I could discuss science fiction and ifs qualities maturely, not just hear how science fiction is shit because it's not written by Tolstoy. I didn't come here to proclaim that science fiction is in the same literary vain as science fiction, I just assumed that the elitists would actually have a reason for the elitism. That's why I'm pissed off. Your assumptions and accusations are again wrong.

You can't possibly be a day over 18.

Fuck off and come back when you've grown a pair, junior.

>reddit

if anyone literally browsed here longer then a day they'd realize how the board is. go away.

Id wager that you could switch it with any other mars science fiction and people would still bitch about it because it's sci fi, until they were told that it wasnt "the Martian"

Wait, /a/ "tried to stay elitist"? How the fuck can you be an elitist about cartoons? Insane.

>Claims to read and thinks he's intelligent
>Can't help making blind nonsense accusations based on his world view

Ok fuck off nothing of value left to say.

>Reddit

>I like how the board is just people shitting on books and trying to feel superior, it's great!

So how old are you?

How the fuck can you be elitist about anything.

It's not like the greatest authors of all time are only available to the select few. Anyone could pick up the book and figure out how to approach them.

There's probably some criteria for good anime, I don't like anime at all, but I'm sure there is, but since reading has become the stereotype for the pseud, and anime has become the stereotype of the fat disgusting loser, it seems worse to be an elitists over.

You don't have to act like a faggot elitist for your taste to be good.

I'm 22.

>Anyone could pick up the book and figure out how to approach them.
The point is that they choose not to and/or have been memed into thinking they've chosen not to. This isn't rocket science, champ.

Still don't believe you. Either you're a woman, underage, or both.

>I came to lit because i expected to get my ass handed to me about good books of all kinds.
>good books of all kinds
That is the exact culture of this place. It is mainly about the best of the best. When you say
>good books of all kinds
you aren't thinking of good books, you're thinking of a lot of mediocre books. You sound like you wanted to have every user throw in their 2 cents on some unknown obscure book, like some vast catalog of mediocre upon mediocre books. That's just nonsense. Good books of all kinds are here, the best in fact, it simply sounds like you're angry that there aren't more mediocre 'niche'-like books you can get into instead of having to get into the best of the best, which I don't understand why you don't want to.

>I wanted to find a place where I could discuss science fiction and ifs qualities maturely, not just hear how science fiction is shit because it's not written by Tolstoy.
Again, is there not a Sci-Fi general? I'm guessing you've read a lot of Sci-Fi books, considering you keep mentioning this specifically, so I'm guessing this ties into the
>good books of all kinds
as in wanting to read more Sci-Fi because you've already read all you could get your hands on. If this is the case it's very strange you don't want to move onto something else.

>I just assumed that the elitists would actually have a reason for the elitism. That's why I'm pissed off.
I explained why mediocre books are generally mocked and why genres like Sci-Fi are looked down upon.

>Your assumptions and accusations are again wrong.
They are if you don't want to read what I wrote.

It's 3 am, I'm going to bed.

>Anyone could pick up the book and figure out how to approach them.
That doesn't make any sense.

God, I feel sorry for your parents.

Some people have other interests you fucking idiot.

Some people want to build cars. Some people like hard sciences. Elitism is supposed to come after you master the craft and know everything about it, not before.

Then those people shouldn't be here then, should they? Why is this such a difficult idea for you to wrap your mind around?

>Still think your are a woman or underage because i have familiarized those things with inferiority. Believe what you want cunt.
>The books you like are mediocre because they arent the books I want to read.
>It's possible for you to not understand that the best books of all time contain amazing things, but science fiction could never do that!

I read Lit suggested authors. I just finished with Raymond Carver.

Good night

I didn't say they were here. I said that anyone could get into literature, not everyone does because they have other interests, there is no reason for you to be an elitists and nothing that validates you being one. That was my point, and it was obvious. God damn it.

Are you a trap?

That's a non-point and you'd have to be kind of a mong to think it meant anything. Even if someone has casual taste in books, I'd respect them more if they admitted it instead of coming here to whine about elitism.

literally everyone thinks the book is better than the movie. seriously.

the movie 2001 a space odyssey was better than the book

Got through the first 3 sentences before I realized this was /r/books

good post

Nope it isn't. Being on Veeky Forums one would expect a better evaluation of post posting.

Multiquoting is juvenile, high school level of conversation, I'm even surprised anyone went and argued with the bloke. Natural response is immediate 'do not read/ignore'. Judging by the way this promising topic went, you should see why.

It's literally considered trash even in /sffg/, where they mostly talk about sci fi.

Kek
Or feet...

>Nope
What a typical reddit thing to lead off with, as if the rest of your post didn't make you look enough like a fool.

I assume you are the accused and annoyed multiquoter.

In case I'm correct; learn to write properly. No one will respect a thing you write otherwise.

A movie is two - three hours long.

The only way it would be good was if it was he same length as an audio book. Taking time with scenes and dialogue.

Of course no one cares that much to make such a film.

Why would you need to do that? At the very least you can safely cut descriptions.

Kek. Little Mark