What are some good uses for the oil that canned sardines come in?

what are some good uses for the oil that canned sardines come in?

is there alot of omega 3 fatty acids that have dispersed in this oil or is it useless?

do any of you use the canned sardine oil for culinary purposes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=1We4NP_JI-M
youtube.com/watch?v=aoe4GCET3b8
youtube.com/watch?v=MLXKKc9n4dQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's pretty low quality oil, with a lot of impurities from the fish. I suppose you could use it, but you're going to get a sardine flavor in anything you cook in it. I could see it being used for salad dressing. I tend to use anchovy paste in a lot of my dressing anyways, and if you add salt to make up for the missing anchovies I'm betting it would come out okay. Usually I just by my sardines in water anymore. Makes for a great high protein snack right out of the can without a bunch of extra calories from the oil. I get sick of tuna.

it hasn't absorbed anything from the sardines other than the taste. if you need a couple of tablespoons of fishy-tasting olive oil than reuse it, i just throw it out.

Season your cast iron with it.

It's basically sunflower oil or low quality olive oil

It's good for preservation but the fats you are after are in the flesh

Sardines are so strongly flavored that anything you cook with them are going to pick up more than enough sardine flavor, the oil will just make your food taste like cat food

>sunflower oil or low quality olive oil
yeah i figured they were using shitty oil in it. i was just wondering if there was any benefits being leeched into the oil but i guess not.

thanks for the advice.

cooking spray, as needed
chicken meat (I like thigh), flattened and cut up, 100g
tinned sardine, minced, 1 (plus some of its oil)
garlic, minced, 1 clove
chili, minced, if/as desired
ginger, minced, a small bit
yellow noodles, par-cooked and snipped, 75g precooked weight
>should be mee or ramen noodles, but you can use thin spaghetti pasta
water, as needed
shallot, thinly sliced, 1
spinach or other leafy green, blanched and squeezed dry then chopped, 100g pre-blanched weight
coriander leaves, if/as desired
garlic chives and/or scallion greens, if/as desired
crisp-fried shallot, if/as desired

Heat up a pan.
Spray it to coat then add chicken.
Stir-fry until coloured, but not cooked through then remove.
Add sardine and its oil, garlic, ginger and chili and stir-fry a few seconds.
Re-add chicken and stir-fry a few seconds.
Add noodles and a little water and toss about to cook until they've absorbed the excess water and finish cooking through. Add more water if/as necessary to cook the noodles completely.
Add the shallots and spinach and toss about.
Off the heat and add the coriander and chives/scallions, if using, and toss about to evenly distribute.
Serve, topped with crisp-fried shallot, if using.

>Dump can into skillet
>Cook until the sardines are warm/hot
>Scoop out the sardines, keep as much oil as possible in pan
>Crack a few eggs in pan
>The eggs clean the pan of sardine debris and the oil gets re purposed so the eggs don't stick.

This is obviously really simple and peasant tier but I made it last night and enjoyed it a lot.

i usually pour it over the fish on my toast
then again i buy ones canned in spring water rather than oil

It's a good toothpaste alternative if you run out

yeah i think it will help me wash the taste of your mother out of my mouth

Good tip!
I'm not OP and I can't eat eggs so I'm gonna fry the bread instead of eggs, to soak up the oil, and then have sardines on toast.

OP could maybe do French Toast.

You could just dump it into a vinaigrette if your salad calls for sardines.

try taking like 3 paper towls and putting them on top of the opened sardines so it absorbs the oil (make sure the whole towl is soaked). Light on fire, smoked fish after the fire goes out. you can do the same with tuna in a can. It an old army trick.

Other then that i guess you can save it in a jar or something and use it in fried rices or anything you want to taste like fish. but as mentioned before, the oil is very low quality.

can anyone back this up? or a source onit? a video of someone doing it?

seems like itd be fuckin good. but also seems like it could also go real shitty.

>Eating meat that has been rotting underground for the better part of a year

youtube.com/watch?v=1We4NP_JI-M

well fuck
youtube.com/watch?v=aoe4GCET3b8

thats some good info

>buy sardines in spring water
>drink the delicious spring water
Gotta get your 8 glasses a day.

How many times has this guy been to prison?

who cares? a lot of chefs have hand tats.i wouldn't be surprised if hes just a young guy that lives in the city. are you this delusional?

Jesus Christ
youtube.com/watch?v=MLXKKc9n4dQ