How would a 19 year old like me get into philosophy, Veeky Forums? what books should i read? please help

How would a 19 year old like me get into philosophy, Veeky Forums? what books should i read? please help.

Herman Hesse may be an enjoyable experience for you, I think it is better to later read the greek classics.

Start with the Greeks

At 19?

>Bill Hicks
>George Carlin
>Hunter S Thompson
>Alan Watts
>John Lennon
>a Youtube political commentator of your choice

Thales to Dewey, and then focus on the parts that interest you

History books. Philosophers are a meme. Historians know what's up

Start with the greeks

You're too old to get into philosophy.

19-year-olds these days publish peer-reviewed articles to journals like Journal of Symbolic Logic, Philosophical Review, Mind, and Analysis.

When would one start with philosophy?

Start with Carnap, then move on to Quine.

Heraclitus
Parmenides
the stoics

> Start with Carnap

You wot m8? How does one even start with Carnap lol.

Not Schopenhauer

Derivative and wrong-headed junk from a rich snob.

watch stefan molyneaux. hes much better than the greeks

Don't start with the Greeks. The Greeks are the equivalent of the DLC of the philosophy world; mainly, aristocrats loved to study them, but they have no effect on our world today.

Start with the 11th century French and Irish monks. This will move you onto the concept of the soul, good vs evil, willpower vs predeterminism.

Then from this you'll move onto the 15th and 16th century, where Protestant argue that men are autonomous agent capable of being bargained with, versus Catholics who believe in a caste system. There is no hierarchy, down with the Feudal system.

Then you'll move into the 17th, 18th, and early 19th century philosophy, which was born in the Protestant Reformation. This created the French Revolution and the modern world. You'll also learn that Men do not need a god, because they themselves can be gods of their own individuality. Rise of the republican system

Then move onto the late 19th and early 20th century, which is a mixture of scientific, racial, and individualist philosophy. This is where it was believed that a man as his own God can rise abobe, but lesser men hold him

Finally you'll get into late 21st century philosophy, which is peace and love

With 'Der logische Aufbau der Welt' (1928).

this

7/10

First and foremost you should have a personal interest in some of the questions pertaining philosophy, even if it's a question put in a extremely naive way. Questions like "why is there something rather than nothing?" "in what way should one conduct one's life?" "what is possible to know and how we know it?".

I feel that if there's no desire to answer a particular question, even the most basic existential crisis everybody goes through, there won't be any drive that pushes you through thousands of years of ongoing and interconnected discussions.

Most people will tell you to start with the greeks but I think there's no point in reading the fragments of the presocratics straight up without any introduction or secondary literature.

So my advice is to choose a "field" in philosophy, be it ethics, metaphysics or epistemology and work your way up through the references to other work every author necessarily makes whether they do it favourably or not.

I don't have the syllabus, but the intro to Western philosophy course I took when I was 17 went something like this
>The Republic
>Nicomachean Ethics & Rhetoric - Aristotle
>Discourse on method and meditations- Descartes
>Grounding for the metaphysics of morals - kant
>utilitarianism - j.s. mills
>A dialogue on personal identity and immortality - John Perry

And then a few lectures on some of the various movements in 20th cen philosophy.

What mattered was the pace at which we moved, I didn't know anyone that went a day without a book in their hands.

Start with sophie's world. It gives a pretty good insight in what philosophy is. It's a children's book but really enjoyable and accessible

Start with Harris desu. Molyneaux might be a good next step but he might go over your head.

>"why is there something rather than nothing?"
this is one of the dumbest questions I have ever heard.

>
>even if it's a question put in a extremely naive wa

Start with the Greeks just to laugh at Plato's autism.

this

and

find one philosopher you like and read everything by them

The Ego and Its Own

Hey guys OP here. Thanks for the advice and recommendations but i think im just gonna get into Murakami. Im gonna start by reading Kafka on the Shore. Thanks again fellas. I love you all!

Kafka on the Shore was an alright book, it had it's good and boring moments.

"Sophie's world" Jostein gaarder (I probably spelled that wrong)
It's a philosophy 101 course pretending to be a novel with a disappointing ending.

i read wittgenstein at 15 you are just sutpid

Wittgenstein is stupid

You're a fucking liar