The Veeky Forums guide to (analytic) philosophy

This is brand new original content, Veeky Forums.... Introducing the Veeky Forums Guide to Analytic Philosophy, In Four Parts.

> "Core" analytic philosophy - metaphysics, epistemology, philosophy of language, philosophy of mind:
imgur.com/a7QG2Vk

> Moral, social, and political philosophy:
imgur.com/CNAwUrU

> Philosophy of science, philosophy of mathematics:
imgur.com/COJ51qj

> Historical background:
imgur.com/pLF9WUe

Full album: imgur.com/a/Uj5Ib
List of all books (with ISBNs on the left): pastebin.com/bf5fZE9b

Other urls found in this thread:

goodreads.com/book/show/1102226.Thinking_about_Mathematics
goodreads.com/book/show/31799.The_Problems_of_Philosophy
goodreads.com/book/show/584608.Language_Truth_and_Logic
goodreads.com/book/show/14828803-a-new-history-of-western-philosophy
goodreads.com/book/show/13253902-analytic-philosophy
sinandogramaci.net/Site/Teaching_files/Reading List for Ph.D students.pdf
pastebin.com/bf5fZE9b
amazon.com/Pointing-Moon-Buddhism-Analytic-Philosophy/dp/0195381564
logicmatters.net/resources/pdfs/Appendix.pdf
olimon.org/uan/frege-writings.pdf
tedsider.org/teaching/language/HO_Frege.pdf
iep.utm.edu/analytic/
goodreads.com/book/show/13748126-logic
goodreads.com/book/show/2490062.Thinking_Things_Through
wsws.org/en/articles/2011/10/kuhn-o28.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

the moral, social and political philosophy chart

report and sage

From the sticky: " Philosophical discussion can go on either Veeky Forums or Veeky Forums, but ideally those discussions of philosophy that take place on Veeky Forums should be based around specific philosophical works to which posters can refer."

This is a list of "specific philosophical works", so is a perfect topic for Veeky Forums.

Philosophy of science and philosophy of mathematics

Historical background chart

it's not a guide when there isn't a comprehensive order to follow

Philosophy has no particular "order" to it. There may be a few prerequisites here and there, but most good philosophy is self-contained.

needs a guide famalam

so don't name it a guide, a guide already prescribes a subjetive order. it's a chart

Well, what are you interested in, in particular?

It's a "guide" in the sense that it points out which books are considered central and worth reading. A music "guide" doesn't dictate the order in which you must listen to albums. You can pretty much read the books in whatever order strikes your fancy.

dunno i don't know much philo

can pure mathematics be esoteric?

Well, Godel was a Platonist and a bit of a mystic in his later years (and/or batshit insane, in the Philip K Dick style). Cantor, the inventor of set theory, also had some strange ideas.

A good intro to Philosophy of Mathematics for the lay reader is "Thinking about Mathematics" by Stewart Shapiro:

goodreads.com/book/show/1102226.Thinking_about_Mathematics

is there an intro to analytic philo?

Russell's 'Problems of Philosophy' is a short and very accessible introduction to philosophy in general. A.J. Ayer's 'Language, Truth and Logic' is the definitive statement of early-stage analytic philosophy, logical positivism. Both are perfectly accessible for the lay man. From there, you can peruse an anthology of articles, or a historical survey. Then you'll be ready to jump in anywhere, basically.

>Russell's 'Problems of Philosophy'
goodreads.com/book/show/31799.The_Problems_of_Philosophy

>Ayer's 'Language, Truth and Logic'
goodreads.com/book/show/584608.Language_Truth_and_Logic

>Kenny's 'A New History of Western Philosophy'
goodreads.com/book/show/14828803-a-new-history-of-western-philosophy

>Martinich's 'Analytic Philosophy: An Anthology'
goodreads.com/book/show/13253902-analytic-philosophy

> List of Recommended Readings for Beginning Grad Students doing Analytic Philosophy
sinandogramaci.net/Site/Teaching_files/Reading List for Ph.D students.pdf

Could use some more additions, but it's a very good list

Guide to analytical thomism please

>Analytical Philosophy

Thanks. What would you add?

Here is the full list in text form: pastebin.com/bf5fZE9b

Not him but I would add a prefix to all your guides: "Get a Maths degree first"

That's outside my expertise, I'm afraid. I've read Geach, Anscombe, and Alasdair MacIntyre, but not on matters relating to Thomism. They're good philosophers, regardless.

Best analytical philosophies of mind that echoes or complements Buddhist philosophies?

That reminds me - I was going to do a fifth chart just for Logic and Foundations of Mathematics, but didn't get around to it. It does help to have some undergraduate exposure to quantitative reasoning and hard science - the exact amount needed varies by sub-discipline.

Godel's collected works, or volume 3 at least. Some of the books on the philosophy of Bell's theorem, and Chomsky's Syntactic Structures to start. It would be nice if we could create something like this, perhaps structured chronologically, that eventually encompasses the entirety of the analytic tradition because this is a really good start

Check out 'Pointing at the Moon: Buddhism, Logic, Analytic Philosophy':
amazon.com/Pointing-Moon-Buddhism-Analytic-Philosophy/dp/0195381564

>Godel's collected works, or volume 3 at least.
Yeah, that would have gone in the 'Logic and Foundations of Mathematics' chart. I tried to stick to works that aren't purely technical, even in the philosophy of science/math list. The Logic chart would include classic textbooks like these:
logicmatters.net/resources/pdfs/Appendix.pdf

>Some of the books on the philosophy of Bell's theorem,
Well, the philosophy of science chart includes:
- J.S. Bell's "Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics",
- Bohm's 'Wholeness and the Implicate Order',
- Albert's 'Quantum Mechanics and Experience',
- Maudlin's 'Quantum Non-Locality and Relativity'
- Wallace's 'The Emergent Multiverse'

I think I got Bell's theorem covered pretty well, no?

>and Chomsky's Syntactic Structures
Yeah, the line between philosophy of language and full-on linguistics can get a little blurry. You could fill a whole chart just with formal semantics.

>It would be nice if we could create something like this, perhaps structured chronologically, that eventually encompasses the entirety of the analytic tradition because this is a really good start

There was a lot I didn't include, as I wanted to keep it to what could fit on a few images. This is more of quick overview just to indicate what people actually read in philosophy departments.

Thank God. We needed one of these.

yeah, quantum mechanics is well represented here, though I would add Cushing and McMullin's 'Philosophical Consequences of Quantum Theory: Reflections on Bell's Theorem' if only because it contains a wide ranging and very good overview of the various philosophical problems Bell raises. Much better than Maudlin I'd say

This is the cover Veeky Forums's guide to analytics deserves.

Can someone please make one for continental philosophy?

Luka jes tu?

Thank you very much. I will start reading After Virtue after Feser's Aristotle on Method and Metaphisics

No, continental philosophy is shit.

What exactly does continental have? Hegel, other germans and french fags?

nothing because continental philosophy doesn't exists, and neither the ones accused to practice it recognize themselves a such.
It just really means: "not analytic philosphy".

Thanks OP and everybody else who contributed!

As much as I enjoy maymays, it's really nice to see Veeky Forums being useful from time to time.

The label "Continental" began as a euphemism for "bad philosophy". It has nothing to do with geography. It's just not polite to call someone "a low-quality pseudo-philosopher who is read only by retards", so the appellation "Continental" was born.

so
>It just really means: "not analytic philosphy".

I forgot to mention that this is solely my own opinion

Thank you. It took me several hours to put it together. I thought I'd share on a topic I had a bit of knowledge about (for a change).

>Against the Method
>Feyerabend
>Analytic

give me a link to downloads of moral social political, and metaphysics epistemology, philosophy of language, and philosophy of mind

This is the first good thread with an erudited OP Veeky Forums has seen in awhile.

Feyerabend tries to directly engage Popper and his falsifying method, so yes, he's branded as an analytic. Also, did the OP forget about Kuhn or did I just miss him?

>did the OP forget about Kuhn or did I just miss him?
Second row, third column.

Kuhn and Feyerabend are postmodernists. I though that brand them directly as continental (even if they are philosophers of science). For me it's okay to consider them analytics! I actually appreciate the contributions they made to the understanding of scientific knowledge and its generation, but actual scientifics usually hate them and are considered as hacks or just filthy humanists. Of course that people don't understand shit.

Well, Kuhn is part of the canon in analytic philosophy of science. Even the most hard-nosed philosopher of physics will have read him, and will have an opinion one way or the other on his work. In that sense, he occupies a position similar to Rawls in political philosophy.

Stylistically, I have no issue calling either Kuhn or Feyerabend "analytic philosophers". Some of the content of what they say may be a bit off-the-wall, but it is perfectly clear what they are saying. There is no deliberate obscurantism. Whether or not their work actually offers any useful insights or perspectives is a separate question.

Thanks my man, really appreciate this.

Just wondering, where is the best place to get Frege's Sense and Reference? The philosophical writings of gottlb frege?

Also you might want to have switched out the Tractatus for Major Works. It includes the Tractatus but also contains the blue and brown books and on certainty.

Yes, and "Translations from the Philosophical Writings of Gottlob Frege" is freely available in full here:

olimon.org/uan/frege-writings.pdf

"The Frege Reader" also has it.

Here's a helpful overview of the core distinction between sense & reference: tedsider.org/teaching/language/HO_Frege.pdf

Fucking kill yourself shit posting faggot

Analytical pepes?

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

>Dennett

>No Hacking
>No Dupré

Hacking is in there, user. Fourth row, first column.

Anyone got a recommendation on what to tackle first for the moral, social and political chart?

this is the only one you need desu

Ah my bad. Disregard my former post, I suck cock

why no analytical starter kit?

For consequentialist ethics, rationality and personal identity: Derek Parfit - 'Reasons and Persons' (1984)

For virtue ethics: Philippa Foot - 'Virtues and Vices' (1979)

For irrealism in meta-ethics: J. L. Mackie - 'Ethics: Inventing Right and Wrong' (1977)

For skepticism about ethical theories: Bernard Williams - 'Ethics and the Limits of Philosophy' (1985)

For subjectivity vs objectivity: Thomas Nagel - 'The View from Nowhere' (1986)

For political philosophy: John Rawls - 'A Theory of Justice' (1971)

For legal philosophy: H.L.A. Hart - 'The Concept of Law' (1961)

For applied ethics: Peter Singer - 'Practical Ethics' (1979)

Is there something similar for continental philosphy?

Continental philosophy is gay

please see

you really are fucked in the head and you literally flipped everything upside down. well done retard.

it takes like two minutes to confirm that the term 'analytic' came about by just meaning 'not continental', or even more inditing 'not philosophy' (as practiced by the whole of human race up until this point). yes analytics are assberger that they had to separate themselves from the entirety of human thought. analytic philosophy is literally protestant garbage.

0/10.

>for you

>they had to separate themselves from the entirety of human thought

>The [analytic] linguistic conception of philosophy was rightly seen as novel in the history of philosophy. For this reason analytic philosophy is reputed to have originated in a philosophical revolution on the grand scale—not merely in a revolt against British Idealism, but against traditional philosophy on the whole. [1]

it took me 20 seconds to confirm this
it's an exercise for the reader to confirm that analytic philosophy is protestant garbage

[1] iep.utm.edu/analytic/

yeah do make that if you can these lists seem all well and good but i am a retard

>guide to analytic philosophy (historical)
>Plato, Hegel, Schopenhauer, Leibniz, Kant, NIETZSCHE

a bit of padding can't hurt

everything the west has produced of intellectual worth

Thanks senpai. I'm a newbie and after the greeks and stoics I'll start on this. Much Appreciated.

What are some good books on critical thinking? I want to get better at constructing arguments, solving problems and conveying ideas to others.

>we should take your word for it and not read any for ourselves because clearly you are the font of all wisdom

How to become a really good pain in the ass by Christopher Dicarlo

"Logic: The Laws of Truth" by Nicholas J.J. Smith: goodreads.com/book/show/13748126-logic
"Thinking Things Through: An Introduction to Philosophical Issues and Achievements" by Clark N. Glymour: goodreads.com/book/show/2490062.Thinking_Things_Through

There are also many textbooks on "Critical Thinking" but I'm not familiar with them. The study of logic and philosophy will inculcate critical thinking skills by osmosis.

>Cantor, the inventor of set theory
>mfw

>There is no deliberate obscurantism
That's only small consolation. Kuhn must stand up on his substance, and most any serious physical scientist will tell you he's sorely lacking.
wsws.org/en/articles/2011/10/kuhn-o28.html

Pure mathematics. I'm not kidding. Nothing can really beat it as far as training up heavy abstraction, objectivity and a serious eye to rigorous argument, especially dispelling informal fallacies and mistakes like linguistic juggling (which may be far from obvious) that certain philosophical frameworks implicitly rely upon and train one to accept as valid. Competent proof reading and writing at the advanced undergraduate level is a crystallized nugget of objective formal argument through the ages and you find yourself intuitively applying overarching concepts and argumentation strategies to philosophical and literary contexts.
Abbot's analysis book is a good introduction to proof, as is Rosenlicht's (which is less well-motivated, but like ten bucks.)

>Cantor, the inventor of set theory
>mfw

Who do you think invented it, then? The study of sets was not formalized into a theory until the 1870s.

"Mathematical topics typically emerge and evolve through interactions among many researchers. Set theory, however, was founded by a single paper in 1874 by Georg Cantor: 'On a Property of the Collection of All Real Algebraic Numbers'.
[Johnson, Philip (1972), A History of Set Theory]

Schoppy's 'The Art of Being Right' is priceless.

Not the guy you are replying to, but: I don't like how that historian phrased it. Cantor, by publishing his paper proved that the cardinality of R is larger than that of N. Thus, for the first time in history, distinguishing uncountable sets and countable ones. This is just one theorem, and a single theorem does not encompass all of the theory, since "theory" means something entirely different. It can be said that Cantor was the father of what later became to be known as naive set theory ("naive" here implies a time years after Cantor published his proof: it has to do with the comprehension principle and Russell's paradox), not that he founded all of the theory (naive or axiomatic) "by a single paper in 1874".

Read Kanamori's paper if you want a more detailed and scholarly history of the subject.