Durably reducing transphobia: A field experiment on door-to-door canvassing

So this was published in Science the other day:

>Existing research depicts intergroup prejudices as deeply ingrained, requiring intense intervention to lastingly reduce. Here, we show that a single approximately 10-minute conversation encouraging actively taking the perspective of others can markedly reduce prejudice for at least 3 months. We illustrate this potential with a door-to-door canvassing intervention in South Florida targeting antitransgender prejudice. Despite declines in homophobia, transphobia remains pervasive. For the intervention, 56 canvassers went door to door encouraging active perspective-taking with 501 voters at voters’ doorsteps. A randomized trial found that these conversations substantially reduced transphobia, with decreases greater than Americans’ average decrease in homophobia from 1998 to 2012. These effects persisted for 3 months, and both transgender and nontransgender canvassers were effective. The intervention also increased support for a nondiscrimination law, even after exposing voters to counterarguments.

science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6282/220

gender studies are neither science nor math.
discuss it in the dedicated board for lgbt discussions

Tell that to the editors at Science, arguably the most prestigious journal out there.

So which branch of science that uses scientific method studies gender stuff ? Explain with scientific examples and peer review studies.

There is an example right there in the OP.

bump

Answer the question retard. You said lgbt garage was science. Now prove it by explaining which branch of science that uses scientific method studies transgender stuff ? Explain with scientific examples and peer review studies.

>Psychology
Not a science. The same experiment conducted by a different group would likely result in different data. Psychology has a greater than 50% fail rate in experimental replication.

I just gave you an example. Stay mad.

There's literally a peer reviewed study in the op. Are you fucking blind or just a stupid shitposter?
>muh hard science only
>n-n-no girls allowed
Fuck off, it's clearly a scientific study

>implying we're not all stupid shitposters

>Not a science
>journal name: Science
I don't understand why you're all blatantly ignoring this.

Arguably sociology, but that's barely science.

Nothim, but someone posted some interesting links on /pol/ recently. Apparently the brain activity of a transexual is more similar to the opposite gender than their own.

I don't think you know what the word "science" means if you think going door-to-door in one specific neighborhood asking a bunch of people to be nice constitutes science.

Reality disagrees with you, as evidenced by the editorial decisions at Science. If the scientific method has been applied, like in the current study, then it is science by definition. Moreover, the fact that this got published in Science of all journals implies that it isn't just science, but rigorous science as well.

Science publishes a lot of junk like any other journal. Remember they're a business, non-profit is a silly meme.

They literally are non-profit, as opposed to Nature Publishing Group.

>They literally are non-profit
which is a meaningless term used by organizations to posture that they're about something other than making money for themselves. The constraints are laughable and poorly enforced.

Fair enough, but completely orthogonal to the journal's reputation.

A reputable journal is one where the bullshit is kept to an apparent minimum, it doesn't mean bullshit doesn't creep in.

A reputable journal is one that publishes highly cited work.
>bullshit
It's somewhat ironic to use a term like that, and then criticise 'non profit' as being poorly defined.

the thread

Reputable journals are highly cited because the bullshit is kept to an apparent minimum and thus appears to provide trustworthy information.

And that wasn't about NPOs being poorly defined, the notion is a joke. An NPO just can't give its executives and employees surpluses directly. And this is a laotian finger paint club not an autistic formal debate forum so we should all know what bullshit means here.

So your theory is that Science published a bogus LGBT click-bait article because they thought it would make people rush out and buy their multi-thousand dollar subscriptions?

Might be looking to expand into the gender studies departments, or gender studies departments seeped into it. Either way if this shit continues that ship will sink soon enough.

Welp you're right.

I will create a page called "Crap" and I will buy scientific teams to create papers for my page, so everything would be crap because the name of the page is crap.

Right?

Is it possible to actively change brain activity to a certain pattern and fix it permanently or at least for a long time?

It's not just the name, it's what comes with it. You've been living under a rock if you don't know this journal.

Bump

Hearsay

>Moreover, the fact that this got published in Science of all journals implies that it isn't just science, but rigorous science as well.
That doesn't follow.

Small Sample Size subjective psychology test

Always the best. Completely non reproducible because of countless variables. The attractiveness of the trans, how transitioned, how good the conversation is. Who willingly has a 10 minute conversation is probably more open etc etc

This is a junk result that people will extrapolate to meaning "talking to trans cures everything".

I could easily reproduce this test and get a completely different result just by how I select the door to door canvasser.

You'd have to ask someone qualified. Here's the thread.

>Science, arguably the most prestigious journal
...hence a target for influence and infiltration by special-interest groups.

Nothing survives free of political influence for long, these days.

The term "transphobia" alone, like "homophobia", is only used in pro-LGBT speech. They're not unbiased descriptive terms, but were carefully coined to be dismissive, needling insults toward all attitudes they encompass. In psychology, a phobia is a markedly unreasonable and unjustifiable fear.

You can't publish an article which uses "transphobia" unironically in the title and claim to be a neutral, objective scientific journal. It's like publishing an article titled "On The Difference In Intelligence Between Niggers And Human Beings". Simply by allowing that wording, you've taken an extreme and provocative position in a political controversy.

Real or not, it doesn't matter. These people should be glassed.

>"On The Difference In Intelligence Between Niggers And Human Beings"
Fucking kekked.

>most prestigious journal out there.

>not NEJM

How about instead of "tolerating" degenerates and faggots, science CURES that shit?

Because mental disorders can't be cured, only managed

[Citation needed]

These aren't "mental" disorders.

These are genetic errors that can be identified, and screened for, and eliminated prior to birth.

>phobia
>people that don't agree with me are just afraid

I want this meme to die

> Implying a genetic error can't be the same thing as a mental disorder in some cases.

I think there is a such thing as transphobia, but just like the term "racism", it is so overused that many really do use it to refer to anyone who disagrees with them.

definine "transphobia" OP.
does this include "I don't like laws which allow any human detritus in my locker room".
because according to these tumblr assholes, disliking sexual harrassment means i hate trans.