Does anyone else think that these books are competely pointless?

Does anyone else think that these books are competely pointless?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Lamb#Realistic_Historical_Novels
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

One of the worst posts I've ever seen here.

Everything is pointless.

shitpost. you don't even explain your opinion.

Actual medieval history is far more interesting than Martin's nonsensical 'worldbuilding'

I wouldn't say it's nonsensical if he was doing it for himself and not for the tons of money which is ultimately why he keeps writing more...

Does anyone else think that books are completely pointless?

No

spook

I'm wondering if I should read them. I'm half pleb so I can derive pleasure from both the classics and books written solely to be enjoyed.

That being said, are they really pointless? I watched the first 4 seasons of the show and started feeling that way as well. I thought they were building up to something but they literally killed all the main characters except Tyrion so with each episode, there's less and less reason to watch.

Does anyone else think that pointlessness is complete?

I've read the first book of the Accursed Kings, it was p good

I guess the first 3 or so books can be entertaining for pleb like you, but if you feel that way about the show, you're probably gonna feel the same way about the books dragging on.

Last two books were far more interesting than the first three.

I completely agree with you, and I have told this to people many times. Actual history contains things that actually happened to actual people that have lived where we live, or you can visit the actual places.

Way better than some made up bullshit that is just history being slapped together.

Don't fall for the hate they receive here, if someone this board likes says that they're good they would instantly change their minds. Form your own opinions.

However, it gets worse with every book, that is not really subjective. If you enjoy stories more than how they're told I'm pretty sure you'd enjoy them.

And you don't need to talk yourself down to avoid getting insults, it is unnecessary. You may enjoy something that is hated on a chinese cartoon board.

Do you have any recommendations? Every time I try to read a history book, it's like almost all shit about how corn production made a city rich or some boring shit. It's not like Game of Thrones at all.

I'm not a pleb so my mind hasn't been sullied by that trash.

>Brienne goes around to find nothing until she finds a cliffhanger
>some southern princess runs away or something but is then imprisoned
>Cersei, not very subtly, goes mad
>Sam's fat pink mast

Woohoo, so interesting

>mfw plebs are inferior beings with pleb taste
>mfw trying to discuss the works of Joyce with a girl that only enjoys YA and fantasy
>mfw i laugh in her face at her pleb taste when she tries to recommend me a book
>mfw i bathe in the supreme taste i share with my fellow Veeky Forumsizens
>mfw i openly mock reddit-tier co-workers that always discuss Game of Thrones
>mfw plebs will always be plebs

>tfw when people think I'm the kind of asshole you are
>tfw when they loudly talk about their taste in front of me to try and provoke me
>tfw they're admitting they're ashamed of their taste and think of themselves as unintelligent
>tfw I never gave a fuck to begin with
Life is good.

try merridale. red fortress. lots of intrigue and violence

>mfw your self proclaimed patrician taste is incapable of detecting sarcasm and you're actually a fucking faggot who people hate
>mfw you actually have shit taste

You sound like an autist

I'm fairly certain that he purposefully did that so people would argue among themselves.

and you're an idiot

I prefer and enjoy real history to fiction most of the time but there is nothing wrong with indulging in fantasy fiction. They had their own fictional realms and worlds and one doesn't have to pick between Persian history or the Shahnameh or the Iliad and Mycenaean/Greek history, or the fictional take on Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the fall of the Han for real.

Harold Lamb was a turn of the century author and contemporary to Robert E Howard or Lovecraft but more quickly and successfuly (albeit less so in infamy/popularity) evolved past having to write for pulp magazines. What I love about his nonfiction historical books is that they written in a kind of blend of narrative storytelling and actual historical fact. So you'll be presented to a vivid and almost theatrical or poetic description of how the bazaars of Cairo or Samarkand were rather than told "because of the vast irrigation and policies of the durkadurka emirate the production of cotton was at an all time high". Think more like Herodotus or Thucydides but not as heavy and ponderous as they are. So he'll inject dialogue or speeches into individual's mouths in order to convey some historical fact, what their outlook might have been or motivations.

He'll also use authentic quotes or accounts from primary sources themselves, such as the chronicler Jean de Joinville who was with St Louis on crusade.

Specifically you'll want the nonfiction and historical biographies as I didn't like the fiction he wrote that I read (Swords of the steppe being a modern anthology of his earlier work about the Cossacks)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Lamb#Realistic_Historical_Novels

Genghis Khan: The emperor of all men, Tamerlane, The Flame of Islam (2nd half of the crusades), Iron men and saints (1st half), "The Crusades" I think is a combination of Iron Men and Flame of Islam, March of the Barbars is a combo of Genghis Khan and Tamerlane.

Those felt the strongest and best of his work, I also read the bio on Cyrus, Hannibal, City and Tsar Peter the Great and Alexander. They were good too.

Not that user, but if you haven't read about the three kingdoms era, you should

is there a good translation of the books you can download somewhere?