The CEO-Emperor of Mars Elon Musk has conscripted you employee-citizen of Mars to design a probe for exploring the...

The CEO-Emperor of Mars Elon Musk has conscripted you employee-citizen of Mars to design a probe for exploring the oceans of Uranus.

What's that employee? Uranus does not have an ocean? Stupid employee! Don't you know that Uranus has a layer of liquid hydrogen and liquid ices starting at around 7,500 km deep?

His Muskiness wants a probe that can operate at temperatures exceeding 3000 K and pressures in 0.1 Megabar range. The probe must be able to take pictures and transmit back science for a month. Funds are almost unlimited, but probe must mass less than 1.5 metric tons. So you can make the whole thing out of solid diamond if need be.

Now get to work employee, refusing to comply with the emperor's decrees are grounds for termination!

Other urls found in this thread:

newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/ucla-researchers-create-exceptionally-strong-and-lightweight-new-metal)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

you might find the following phase diagrams useful employee

Uranus has already been explored by several Big Black Crafts, my liege.

>unironically wanting to relinquish your rights to some oligarch just because they have more money than you
>implying the narcissistic bastard won't send you to a forced labor camp where you'll be researching hairplug technology for him

he cried so he's good guy, it is known khaleesi

Haha very funny employee. That joke was so funny that you have been transferred to the uranium mines to improve your sense of humor. A human resources officer will arrive shortly. Resisting transfer may result in termination and/or increase of sentence.

Thank you for volunteering to become a follicle donor. A human resources officer will arrive shortly to collect your specimen. The process will be mostly painless so long as you do not resist.

GREETINGS HUMBLE SUPERVISOR

>temperatures exceeding 3000 K and pressures in 0.1 Megabar range.

obviously I choose a tungsten-based refractory alloy. Funds almost unlimited? Rhenium or Tantalum alloying, probably both, single-crystal or large-grain production.

For taking photographs in these conditions, a liquid-gas-cooled interior with vacuum insulation from the tungsten alloy shell. Industrial diamond window, likely doped with

However, fuck that, liquid hydrogen is more than EM-active enough to use a scanning magnetometric instrument or passive radar. I'm nearly certain this shit is optically opaque anyway. This eliminates the need for a solid diamond viewing window, these instruments would penetrate the shell directly.

Getting out is the mission designer's problem. I recommend an orbital probe and very long tether. Tether could be nanotube bundle sheathed in sections of refractory alloy, or something more exotic. Does not need to last long-term, just a quick dip in the pool and back out with you.

Elon, please

That is a good start employee. However, the mission spec calls for a long term probe. The probe must take pictures, perform experiments, and transmit data back for a month in these conditions. No dropping it down and yanking it back out again.

Now an orbital tether is crazy, you could have been sane and put it on a nuclear hot air balloon in the troposphere. However, you still have to dip it in and out rather rapidly. It will almost certainly be hypersonic at some point. Not to mention the problems of wind shear on a cable thousands of kilometers long.

Liquid hydrogen is transparent, even it 0.1 Megabar. The mission spec calls for a camera.

>>getting out
perhaps you were thinking there people on the probe employee? The mission spec does not call for returning the probe home. However, if you would like to sign up for the 'Shooting Stars' program, we have a great opportunity for you! You could be the first person to visit(and die on ) Quaoar!

Emperor Elon can only be appeased through your labor!

Bump

Bump

Bump

filtered btw

Bump

>you will never joyously toil in anonymity to further the goal of a prosperous, interplanetary human empire

Being even the littlest cog in such an endeavor is a high honor. I bet the people building Elon's rockets stop occasionally and realize they could well be laying the foundation stone of a brand new civilization. It's got to be a humbling experience.

Bump

bump

Bump

I'm just gonna keep bumping it. I wonder how long I can keep this thread alive.

Using RTGs is a start since getting enough solar power is going to be hard as hell. The electricity could be used to power propellers on the probe.

Since graphene is becoming a reality, we could use it to make the body or the camera along with that new magnesium alloy (newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/ucla-researchers-create-exceptionally-strong-and-lightweight-new-metal)

I don't know about cooling, however. Since it's liquid hydrogen, it would be cold as hell right? I'm not smart enough to know...

Do you want adeptus mechanicus?
Because that is how you get adeptus mechanicus...

Nope it's really hot! 3000 kelvin hot!

Bump

Liquid hydrogen can be hot at high pressure

Sci can also have fun jackass.

I was going for serious actually, I was hoping to deflect the inevitable Uranus jokes